Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

right, so the 2km limit has been raised to 5km from tuesday coming, but there's no indication that i can see yet if exercise allowed is limited to 'brief'.
    to be honest, if it is supposed to be 'brief', i can't see this benefitting anyone really except cyclists (unless they also intend to include people driving to their point of exercise) - running to a point 5km from your house, and back home, would not be considered a brief run to anyone but an ultra runner, for example.

i've reopened the thread, after it was closed due to things getting heated. as it's a bank holiday weekend, if things do get heated again, the thread will be closed without hesitation, as mods will have better things to do than try to adjudicate.

i expect those people who wrote those handy apps and websites showing the limit of the 2km radius from your house, are busy this evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'll be able to ride to Balbriggan, Skerries and Balscadden but not Naul, Rush or Lusk ...
    Woo Hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

I will be able to ride to Lusk @ Loughshinny. It's progress:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

running to a point 5km from your house, and back home, would not be considered a brief run to anyone but an ultra runner, for example.

While I agree with most of what you say, even the most average of runners can do a 10k run in less than an hour

While 5km gives me loads of options I'd imagine we'll be seeing a bigger amount of cars on the road maybe?

EDIT: Actually when I do head out it'll be before herself goes to work so I should meet little if any traffic that time of morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cletus wrote: »
    While I agree with most of what you say, even the most average of runners can do a 10k run in less than an hour

bleedin' masochists. could they not just drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cletus wrote: »

I havnt run in years but took it up at the start of the month, it wasn't pretty but Im up to around 8k now, next run should hit the 10K mark, an hour is slow jogging speed.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

While 5km gives me loads of options I'd imagine we'll be seeing a bigger amount of cars on the road maybe?

Probably. If for no other reason, I note that the over 70s will be allowed out for a "walk or a drive" within 5 kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm pretty pleased with 5km now as it gives me options for a longer loop & a hill for intervals. I'll take it for now with ultimate aim road racing late July or early August.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deweybible

Do we know what the situation will be after 18th May? Roadmap suggests that phase 1 from 18th May will
    "Permit people to engage in outdoor sporting and fitness activities, either individually or in very small groups (maximum 4 people), where social distancing can be maintained and where there".

However, under Community Health Measures the guidance in roadmpa is "Maintain restriction to within 20km of your home. Continue to avoid unnecessary journeys" for period 29th June to 20th July.

Which applies to solo cycling? Hopefully the former as Wicklow and Sally Gaps are 100km loop from my house and really don't understand why such a draconian restriction (20km) would continue on into July for solo cyclists. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

right, so the 2km limit has been raised to 5km from tuesday coming, but there's no indication that i can see yet if exercise allowed is limited to 'brief'.
    to be honest, if it is supposed to be 'brief', i can't see this benefitting anyone really except cyclists (unless they also intend to include people driving to their point of exercise) - running to a point 5km from your house, and back home, would not be considered a brief run to anyone but an ultra runner, for example.

i've reopened the thread, after it was closed due to things getting heated. as it's a bank holiday weekend, if things do get heated again, the thread will be closed without hesitation, as mods will have better things to do than try to adjudicate.

i expect those people who wrote those handy apps and websites showing the limit of the 2km radius from your house, are busy this evening.

2km from home website was updated by 6pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Probably. If for no other reason, I note that the over 70s will be allowed out for a "walk or a drive" within 5 kms.

On the Government website, it says exercise rather than a walk.

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-taoiseach-announces-roadmap-for-reopening-society-and-business-and-u/#phase-1-18-may

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'd really like the 'brief' bit clarified with a definitive time as I have been sticking to @ 30 minutes each cycle. The only change for now is opens up new loops. Hopefully there is clarification on times shortly.

deweybible wrote: »
    Do we know what the situation will be after 18th May? Roadmap suggests that phase 1 from 18th May will
    "Permit people to engage in outdoor sporting and fitness activities, either individually or in very small groups (maximum 4 people), where social distancing can be maintained and where there".

However, under Community Health Measures the guidance in roadmpa is "Maintain restriction to within 20km of your home. Continue to avoid unnecessary journeys" for period 29th June to 20th July.

Which applies to solo cycling? Hopefully the former as Wicklow and Sally Gaps are 100km loop from my house and really don't understand why such a draconian restriction (20km) would continue on into July for solo cyclists. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hopefully this thread doesn't end up with the same arguments over 5km as it did over 2km .Any one that ignored the 2km has more than likely ignored the 5 km as well so probably means little change really .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I wonder if Cycling Ireland have made representations to government about easing restrictions for those with CI licences - similar to what is happening in other countries.

I'll be glad of the increased radius from Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Hopefully this thread doesn't end up with the same arguments over 5km as it did over 2km .Any one that ignored the 2km has more than likely ignored the 5 km as well so probably means little change really .

And also ignoring the brief part

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    And also ignoring the brief part

Brief was removed from the advice wording after a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Looking at the government roadmap, small groups, max 4 people can train together outside from 18/5 provided they maintain social distancing. From 8/6 same restrictions but 20km radius limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

5km from my house gives me a 40km loop :rolleyes:

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Looking at the government roadmap, small groups, max 4 people can train together outside from 18/5 provided they maintain social distancing. From 8/6 same restrictions but 20km radius limit.

Have 20km radius from May 5th solo? That would be a huge help to get outdoors for longish spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In my case, it means I can go for cycles in the phoenix Park. I really hope they help the traffic restrictions in the Park for as long as possible, would be lovely to go cycling there without having cars running me into the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

dahat wrote: »
    Have 20km radius from May 5th solo? That would be a huge help to get outdoors for longish spins.
    How is a cyclist traveling 80kms on his own tranmitting any virus. When he goes for his weekly shop .. yes face mask indoors. What is wrong with people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

dahat wrote: »

5km from 18th of May, 20km from june 8th

Scoondal wrote: »
    How is a cyclist traveling 80kms on his own tranmitting any virus. When he goes for his weekly shop .. yes face mask indoors. What is wrong with people ?

Not getting into rights & wrongs on this. I'll abide by the radius as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I am going to use this 5kms to a maximum.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

5km from 18th of May, 20km from june 8th

5km from next Tuesday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod Note: this topic has already been discussed ad nauseam in this thread already and the discussion has moved on. It's open at the news of the 5k announcement only.

Any questions PM me do not respond in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Its people like you that are the problem. Ignoring the measures because you are too selfish to care for others but yourself. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

5km from 5th of May, 20km from june 8th

FYP

• Advertisement

Its people like you that are the problem. Ignoring the measures because you are too selfish to care for others but yourself. Shame on you.
    don't post in this thread again.
    other posters, do not respond to this post.
    thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement