Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

fat bloke wrote: »
    If I leave my house in the suburbs in and spend a few a.m. hours in the Dublin mountains on my bike with nothing but the wind and the heather for company am I endangering mine one or the public health in any way?

Would a lockdown preclude such an activity?

I would expect so, and for the reason mooted. In the off chance you have an accident, it may very well be sorry about you we've bigger matters to hand

I did a loop of the park today. It was like the end of days. I've never seen so many cars in the place, parked absolutely everywhere on any bit of roadside space and in places I've never seen people parked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I agree with a partial lockdown, i.e. close venues where larger groups of people gather socially, when alcohol is involved people forget to wash hands and keep a distance between the next person...

Also I seen on Facebook where the Coffee shops out in Enniskerry were jammed with cyclists..

Though what I think should happen for the coffee shops is they limit the numbers allowed in at a time, 3 at most, no cash only card...

China didn't reverse it's epidemic by keeping coffee shops etc open.

China's success has been a mixed blessing; it bought us time which we squandered by assuming if the Chinese could reverse we were grand.

Chinese and lots of other cultures don't have our sensibilities around personal freedoms, with all that entails, which is a huge advantage in fighting this virus.

The government know stricter controls are necessary but they are phasing them in because they know lots of us will ignore simple instructions; and they are right.

I'm no expert but I assume this virus will have to work its way through the population; the slower means less chaotic healthcare(the rich Italian north is close to collapse) and time for improved treatments and eventually a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

fat bloke wrote: »
    If I leave my house in the suburbs in and spend a few a.m. hours in the Dublin mountains on my bike with nothing but the wind and the heather for company am I endangering mine one or the public health in any way?

Would a lockdown preclude such an activity?

Reports out of Spain are stating that cyclists are either being warned or in some cases fined for being out and about.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/spain-coronavirus-cases-jump-by-a-third-over-100-new-deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I've been cycling both days of the weekend. On my tobler yesterday and with dad this morning. If we get locked down could we still go out on the bikes for fresh air??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Weepsie wrote: »
    I would expect so, and for the reason mooted. In the off chance you have an accident, it may very well be sorry about you we've bigger matters to hand

I did a loop of the park today. It was like the end of days. I've never seen so many cars in the place, parked absolutely everywhere on any bit of roadside space and in places I've never seen people parked before.

I'm curtailing the cycling with the kids purely because of the off change there's an accident. As things escalate we can't afford to be hitting hospitals for a broken collar bone or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm curtailing the cycling with the kids purely because of the off change there's an accident. As things escalate we can't afford to be hitting hospitals for a broken collar bone or similar.

My partner, normally the more caring of the two of us, turned to our son as he was messing outside in the garden today and said, if you break your leg, tough luck, it will heal at home because we ain't going to hospital. I do hope they were joking to llustrate a point but part of me wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've been cycling both days of the weekend. On my tobler yesterday and with dad this morning. If we get locked down could we still go out on the bikes for fresh air??

Not even allowed to go for a jog in Spain at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

LennoxR wrote: »
    No probably not. But I can tell you from speaking to friends in Italy that this is not permitted there. You can't even go for a walk at the moment. You're given a piece of paper giving you permission to go out to buy food and if you're caught out for any other reason, you get fined by the police.

We may be in the same boat soon enough. It seems excessive but if it saves lives then it's worth it.

Who gives them the piece of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Though what I think should happen for the coffee shops is they limit the numbers allowed in at a time, 3 at most, no cash only card...

The problem is then that people queue outside, so you've 3 people socially distancing in the cafe, and 20 people milling around outside in a crowd. Then the cafe have to do crowd control, and try and space people out on the footpath. And meanwhile the cafe three doors down is trying to do the same thing, while people are trying to walk past keeping a safe distance... it all gets out of hand very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

My last 2 100km spins did not have a cafe stop, best to get used to it now as it will be the norm if we can still get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

secman wrote: »
    My last 2 100km spins did not have a cafe stop, best to get used to it now as it will be the norm if we can still get out.

Us hardmen don't do cafe stops anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Audaxers beat you all hands down, we can get round a 200km route on two bananas, some fig rolls and a jam sandwich!

Those of you who mocked our large saddle bags, who's laughing now. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Audaxers beat you all hands down, we can get round a 200km route on two bananas, some fig rolls and a jam sandwich!

Those of you who mocked our large saddle bags, who's laughing now. ��

only 200k? what do you do after breakfast? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

only 200k? what do you do after breakfast? :p

Another 200

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

25k to work today (germany) . I'll be asleep in 30 secs tonight. I do miss the ould train/bus. was nice and easy watching amazon/netflix/mubi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Mentioned above. See

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/7869/spain-bans-cycling-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

I've generally no problem with most measures but believe that exercise is particularly important at times like this for both mental health and the immune system.

I think it would be detrimental if people were prevented from walking, running or cycling alone for exercise.

Would have said they'd never stop this but the fact other countries are doing it is setting a precedent.

Question is how do you start a lobby or signature movement to prevent this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

• buffalo wrote: »
      Who gives them the piece of paper?
    The police as far as I know. The form is from the Ministry of the Interior.

(I'd attach but it has personal details, name, address etc of my friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm a bit on the fence about going for spins.

I headed out gravelling yesterday, but ended up walking a few sections of single track that I would ordinarily have tried as it suddenly hit me the consequences of an injury. Most importantly, I'd be adding to the strain on the health system, but from a selfish perspective I'd be putting myself (and therefore my family/ extended family) at more risk by being in hospital. Given driver behaviour even on short road sections yesterday, I don't think a road spin would be any less risk tbh.

So even with sticking with social distancing - and having had to shop today, there's definitely more risk of spread from that there was yesterday on the bike - I really can't decide whether the mental benefits outweigh the risks. I'll decide by next weekend.

My main Spring event is the Dirty Reiver, which I'm assuming is only a matter of time before being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was in two minds weather to Cycle or drive this morning. Decided to cycle and i'm glad i did. A lot less traffic on the road and the weather was bright, cold but dry. As commuting goes... today was one of the best days so far this year. Its been a while since I felt this safe on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

Clubs have not only cancelled club spins but are also asking members to desist from arranging unofficial spins as riders 2 abreast cannot adhere to 2 meters social distancing.
    Solo is the plan, hopefully it won't be banned over the next couple of weeks, Safe riding to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mentioned above. See

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/7869/spain-bans-cycling-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

I've generally no problem with most measures but believe that exercise is particularly important at times like this for both mental health and the immune system.

I think it would be detrimental if people were prevented from walking, running or cycling alone for exercise.

Would have said they'd never stop this but the fact other countries are doing it is setting a precedent.

Question is how do you start a lobby or signature movement to prevent this ?

It's very boring, but you can exercise at home, with or completely without any equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It's very boring, but you can exercise at home, with or completely without any equipment

Its best to just comply if it comes into effect or next you'll have rugby or football clubs etc.. giving out about cyclist having freedom. Sometimes a blanket ban is best and hopefully only for a couple of weeks. As others have said if there is accidents then it's an unnecessary drain on the health system.

There are tonnes of youtube videos, there were some great pilates ones I used to use. Must see if I can find them in my history. 20-30 minutes was all they took.

There are even ones you can do sitting down with household items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Also I seen on Facebook where the Coffee shops out in Enniskerry were jammed with cyclists..

If true, it certainly won't help the case for allowing cycling to continue. Never really thought of Enniskerry as the cyclists Temple Bar🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There are even ones you can do sitting down with household items.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10222416449899659&id=1220865494

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend of mine volunteers in a women's aid shelter, and she was pointing out on facebook that a lockdown exacerbates a lot of problems they'd be depressingly familiar with. women stuck in houses or apartments with men who probably should be stuck in jail, and pretty much no escape and shag all ability for any support services to get to them unless it's an emergency.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This is going to go on for quite a while. Keep active, ride your bike and stay well.
    Follow the HSE advice (as an experienced GP I can safely say I have never been so impressed with them) and don't do anything stupid.
    Many people out there working hard at every level and keeping the show on the road.
    When it's all over we'll have some really great rides together ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a good friend is a paramedic in birmingham, and his wife is head nurse on an oncology ward. i would not swap with them for all the carbon fibre in china.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

As an Irish citizen I'm very proud of all the efforts made so far by all government departments during this crisis.
    My only hope is that the we match those efforts by adhering to the measures taken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement