Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best commuter locations for Dublin

Options
  • 28-02-2020 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

My plan is for a period, commute in, stay in hostels for 3 to 4 nights a week, then I'll be travelling from city center to drimnagh each day.

Any recommended commuter locations for Dublin?

Mullingar I'd imagine, diggs seem reasonably priced.

Dundalk direction - accommodation up that way is insane.

Anywhere else?
    Commuting via train would be by far and away the preference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Trains + Drimnagh - I'd look along the routes terminating at Heuston. It'll be hardier for days you want to leave work and get home or just catch an early train.

That said 3-4 nights a week in a hostel sounds like an expensive nightmare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Trains + Drimnagh - I'd look along the routes terminating at Heuston. It'll be hardier for days you want to leave work and get home or just catch an early train.

That said 3-4 nights a week in a hostel sounds like an expensive nightmare.

Week days come in at 12 to 15 euro typically in hostels, I guess that's okay.
    I might get lucky and keep it under 40 to 50 per journey.

Was also thinking so long as I have access to Luas redline in whatever hostel I'll be based, should be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Maynooth, decent train service. Not sure of rental prices out there though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Week days come in at 12 to 15 euro typically in hostels, I guess that's okay.
    I might get lucky and keep it under 40 to 50 per journey.

Was also thinking so long as I have access to Luas redline in whatever hostel I'll be based, should be okay?

Will you actually get any sleep though?

You’ll also, presumably be going direct from home to work at least one morning and one evening a week, hence that journey should also be convenient.

There’s plenty of options to look into on the train lines out of Heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 68,799 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Maynooth, decent train service. Not sure of rental prices out there though

Obscene. College eats the low end, Intel the mid range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

surely it would be cheaper overall to rent a room in Drimnagh or further out the Red Line? Even if it was a little more expensive it would be better for your sanity.

Will you actually get any sleep though?

You’ll also, presumably be going direct from home to work at least one morning and one evening a week, hence that journey should also be convenient.

There’s plenty of options to look into on the train lines out of Heuston

Suggestions?

I see there's a train to Limerick, Cork..... I have no idea the stops.

I've been staying in hostels in Dublin the last 4 years - occasionally some drunk idiot comes in late talking loud in the 24 bed dorm whilst everyone is 'sleep.
    A good "sshhhhhhh"'ing normally settles them down.
    But other than that I love it, especially the city center locations, right off temple bar etc.

But yeah in terms of commute time, doing this every week, may become tiresome.

That suggestions of out Drimnagh way looks interdasting. Whenever I've looked on daft for a Dublin room almost anywhere, the prices are so obscene I simply can't bear to look for that long; when I find something suitably priced, it's normally taken by the time I submit an application.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,102 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That suggestions of out Drimnagh way looks interdasting. Whenever I've looked on daft for a Dublin room almost anywhere, the prices are so obscene I simply can't bear to look for that long; when I find something suitably priced, it's normally taken by the time I submit an application.

Is that even as a rent-a-room lodger? I'd imagine you'd be an ideal lodger for someone as you'd only be there part time.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If you live out in (say) Portlaoise, you're looking at 50 a week in transport costs, and another 50 for the hostel so you're up to 400 a month already plus the cost of your digs in the sticks. There are single rooms around the Drimnagh/Walkinstown area for 500-600 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If you have a weekend home ie. parents or family then "digs" might be a better idea.
    Surely someone would be happy to have someone stay Monday to Thursday night for a few extra quid.
    Imagine a 10 minute walk to work as opposed to an hour on the train, 40 minutes on a luas or bus then another 5 or 10 minute walk. No brainer.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    If you have a weekend home ie. parents or family then "digs" might be a better idea.
    Surely someone would be happy to have someone stay Monday to Thursday night for a few extra quid.
    Imagine a 10 minute walk to work as opposed to an hour on the train, 40 minutes on a luas or bus then another 5 or 10 minute walk. No brainer.

Are we talking diggs diggs, or do you just mean looking on daft for a room?

Diggs would be swell actually cause I don't need a full time room, just three nights a week or so.

Is this a question of a simple "diggs adverts in dublin" google search?

As in, lodgings type deal.

I hadn't even considered that, sounds awesome actually - hopefully don't have to put up with crazy flat mates etc, as you'd imagine lodging with a family or such would preclude that.

I hope it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg though.

Any recommendations for "lodgings" listings, websites I'd go looking on etc?

Charging per night versus per week would be a preference for sure.

Even if there was a hostel out Drimnagh way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Where are you going to be slaying birds though?

Advertisement