Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inside the K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

:rolleyes:

No, neither I nor my brothers (all raised in Finglas), or any of our numerous friends from the area, ever had a chance.

We're all dole-collecting, drug-abusing serious criminals with no respect for the Gardaí. None of us ever had a decent education, went on to college or have good jobs, houses, mortgages etc. We all sponge off the state and don't contribute to society in any way.

Of the 31,529 (2006 census - it's probably more by now) people living in Finglas, not one had a chance.

Same for people from Limerick. An entire county full of knife toting, drug selling, rival killing uneducated caravan living sub humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭darklighter

Carrying a knife should be a mandatory 3 month sentence for first offence.

5 years more like.....and 5 should mean 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

ijohhj wrote: »
    Virgin seem to be very invested in these propaganda pieces.

Watched the whole lot of K over a day. Transparent propaganda. Very strange they don't mention Dara Quigley, or the three high ranking officers caught passing info to the Kinahan cartel, or any of their other BS. Very strange. These 'documentary makers' should be ashamed, any documentary will show all angles and let the viewer decide. Pure propaganda. Wonder if they're getting a cheque.

This is literally why COPS was finally greenlit in the states after many years of the concept being passed around unsuccessfully. It was greenlit as a propaganda piece after too many controversies in the media.

It literally did the tour of the country, moving from season to season to cities that had recently had controversies, to get the authoritative crowd on their side.

No patience for the scrotes they work with either mind you. Just want an honest police force that answers to their own transgressions, which they absolutely do not.

IMO seems to be a bit of an ego strocking thing. ''Look how great we are''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭LilacNails

The tough blond one , didn't catch her name..... What's her role? She seems to have a higher role and take lead in all call outs and dressed casually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

LilacNails wrote: »
    The tough blond one , didn't catch her name..... What's her role? She seems to have a higher role and take lead in all call outs and dressed casually.

She is a sargent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

She is a sargent.

With a very unusual surname (which I can't remember).
    What role has the bearded lad with Welch accent got? He seems to be very high up in the organisation.
    Things were moving so fast I found it hard to figure out who is who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

With a very unusual surname (which I can't remember). What role has the bearded lad with Welch accent got? He seems to be very high up in the organisation. Things were moving so fast I found it hard to figure out who is who.

I think her name is Proudfoot and I'm sure the Welsh guy is a Detective. Open to correction on both accounts given the current hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Havent watched any of it yet but saw a trailer with a Garda and she is saying my favourite type of person to deal with is half mad
    Also other Garda saying its the Wild West,i was dropped in Beirut surely that is not professional?

What role has the bearded lad with Welch accent got? He seems to be very high up in the organisation.

Think he is a detective. May be wrong about that one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

No offence, but it literally shows everyone's name and rank on screen.

No offence, but it literally shows everyone's name and rank on screen.[/quot

There's a good few of them being interviewed, going from one to another one that hasn't been shown for a while. The program is on once a week, so you could easily forget who's who. Some people mighten watch it every week either.

And sometimes people can forget kinda quickly or get distracted.... Like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Selina Proudfoot.

<snip>

Mod - Don't post unsubstantiated nonsense on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

bigpink wrote: »
    Havent watched any of it yet but saw a trailer with a Garda and she is saying my favourite type of person to deal with is half mad
    Also other Garda saying its the Wild West,i was dropped in Beirut surely that is not professional?

Yer one that you mention is extremely unprofessional yes.

She was a hairdresser before becoming a gard, that's all I'll say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

:pac: oh come on, thats pretty mild. its not like they said its tough being guard here in Finglas the $hithole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I know another Guard that was a teenager before being a Guard, oh the horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What have you got against hairdressers?
    Your coming across very badly yourself with those comments.

Selina Proudfoot.

<snip>

Mod - Don't post unsubstantiated nonsense on here.

Sorry what? Is that directed at me? I don't see anything wrong with what I asked....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry what? Is that directed at me? I don't see anything wrong with what I asked....

No, not you. Grueller Baby posted slander.

Back to the main topic, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I know gardai with doctorates, degrees in law, masters in a variety of backgrounds. I also know gardai that were electricians and bricklayers, worked in retail, one that did cobblelock driveways. Your previous life is rarely an indicator of how good you're going to be as a Garda, that said qualifications might better ensure advancement

A lot of old school, guards didnt even finish secondary school and were great guards.

• Advertisement

It says very little. In fact it says far more about you that a) you would make such a comment like that, and b) you obviously haven't got the attention span to read or watch what was actually mentioned in relation to that particular guard and hairdressing.

It says very little.

False.
    In fact it says far more about you that

Also false.

Maybe you should take your own advice as well, in regards to listening. Because I know what I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

It says very little. In fact it says far more about you that a) you would make such a comment like that, and b) you obviously haven't got the attention span to read or watch what was actually mentioned in relation to that particular guard and hairdressing.

Afaik she was a detective in the Coolock area before becoming Sargent, so she must be good at her job as a guard in fairness

Afaik she was a detective in the Coolock area before becoming Sargent, so she must be good at her job as a guard in fairness

People fail upwards in this country, it hasn't been a meritocracy in a long time, just who you know.

Bet she spells sergeant like you do :pac:

People fail upwards in this country, it hasn't been a meritocracy in a long time, just who you know.

Bet she spells sergeant like you do :pac:

Was it her that ruined your hair?

Was it her that ruined your hair?

That's very witty. You're very witty.

Would have been better if you could see me, mind. Funnier. Even funnier I mean. Because it was already very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

False.

Also false.

Maybe you should take your own advice as well, in regards to listening. Because I know what I heard.

Tell us what you heard so

Havent watched any of it yet but saw a trailer with a Garda and she is saying my favourite type of person to deal with is half mad... surely that is not professional?

I have to agree with this. That's a stupid statement to make, as it only encourages the scumbags to act up. "Ha, they think we're mad, like".

What I really took away from this show is how useless the Gardai are at anything beyond just showing up and chatting with scumbags, or taking abuse from them. Didn't see them actually doing much.

I know they spent a lot of time on the suicide stuff and mental health, but I'd echo previous sentiments that that is not the role of a Garda and other than perhaps an initial response to ensure there's no danger, the Gardai shouldn't be there at all.

Can you imagine ringing the Gardai about a loud scumbag on a scrambler bike causing a nuisance, and dealing drugs, and the Garda response is to drive by and shout out the window 'did you make much today?'.

I like the Gardai, but I really wish this country would cop onto itself and stop trying to pretend we're a grand little place with no real problems at all. We need an extra prison, we need a severe overhaul of the judicial service, and we need to actually punish people. Waltzing around with 50+ previous convictions is a pretty disgusting reflection on the state of our Country these days.

False.

Also false.

Neither are false. And I'll tell you what is true...You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

I have to agree with this. That's a stupid statement to make, as it only encourages the scumbags to act up. "Ha, they think we're mad, like".

What I really took away from this show is how useless the Gardai are at anything beyond just showing up and chatting with scumbags, or taking abuse from them. Didn't see them actually doing much.

I know they spent a lot of time on the suicide stuff and mental health, but I'd echo previous sentiments that that is not the role of a Garda and other than perhaps an initial response to ensure there's no danger, the Gardai shouldn't be there at all.

Can you imagine ringing the Gardai about a loud scumbag on a scrambler bike causing a nuisance, and dealing drugs, and the Garda response is to drive by and shout out the window 'did you make much today?'.

I like the Gardai, but I really wish this country would cop onto itself and stop trying to pretend we're a grand little place with no real problems at all. We need an extra prison, we need a severe overhaul of the judicial service, and we need to actually punish people. Waltzing around with 50+ previous convictions is a pretty disgusting reflection on the state of our Country these days.

That is hardly up to the Gardai is it?

Also I wouldnt be judging the whole force by what you saw in a 4 part tv series. what about all the good work they do? like when they caught those scum bag ATM robbers lately? was that good enough for ya?

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Also I wouldnt be judging the whole force by what you saw in a 4 part tv series.

I live in a 'rough' area and see the Gardai on a day to day basis, being as useless as can be. They couldn't look less interested if they tried.

This TV show didn't exactly portray them in a 'getting things done' light. And you can only assume that efforts to look good would be ramped up once a camera crew arrive at the station.

what about all the good work they do? like when they caught those scum bag ATM robbers lately? was that good enough for ya?

The PSNI did the arresting there. Gardai let them slip away over the border.

That said, I do acknowledge that they can do decent work, but they seem to have to be dragged kicking and screaming, and forced to do it.

Look at yer man Kevin Lunney. Was getting tormented, abused, attacked etc. for years and nothing done about it, until the kidnapping that made the media sit up, and the Gardai had to be seen to do something.

There needs to be an overhaul of the judicial system, to allow the Gardai to be an effective policing body. Places like the 'ghettos' that we seen on Inside the K simply shouldn't exist. It's 2020, we're a relatively well-to-do country. There is no excuse for scumbags getting away with what they get away with, and the Gardai, with a concentrated effort, would be well able to knock this activity on it's head within 6 months if they made the effort.

The problem with the Gardai is that they act like employees in a factory. They're showing up for work and doing the bare minimum until they can go home again.

I live in a 'rough' area and see the Gardai on a day to day basis, being as useless as can be. They couldn't look less interested if they tried.

This TV show didn't exactly portray them in a 'getting things done' light. And you can only assume that efforts to look good would be ramped up once a camera crew arrive at the station.

That said, I do acknowledge that they can do decent work, but they seem to have to be dragged kicking and screaming, and forced to do it.

Look at yer man Kevin Lunney. Was getting tormented, abused, attacked etc. for years and nothing done about it, until the kidnapping that made the media sit up, and the Gardai had to be seen to do something.

There needs to be an overhaul of the judicial system, to allow the Gardai to be an effective policing body. Places like the 'ghettos' that we seen on Inside the K simply shouldn't exist. It's 2020, we're a relatively well-to-do country. There is no excuse for scumbags getting away with what they get away with, and the Gardai, with a concentrated effort, would be well able to knock this activity on it's head within 6 months if they made the effort.

The problem with the Gardai is that they act like employees in a factory. They're showing up for work and doing the bare minimum until they can go home again.

you must be unlucky, anytime I have ever needed the guards help they have been great. cant be easy policing rough areas like Finglas in fairness, and just because they don't look to be busy doesn't mean they aren't.

The other things you mention about more prisons needed and an overhaul of the judicial system , that has nothing to do with the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

You won't get an effective policing body until they get the backing of the judiciary. Can you imagine going in to work and getting an assignment, completing it only to see it get thrown back to you 50 times and each time theres extra work added on top.

The problem resides with the Judges and the solicitors. They've created this pyramid scheme where they get paid handsomely and society suffers the consequences of poor law with no consequences for the criminal. The government need to provide prision space and pass a bill allowing stiffer sentences for repeat offenders. After that its over to judges and solicitors and if they don't play ball its time to come down on them too. The only judges who seem to do their jobs are those who are directly affected or have family affected by crime. Their sentencing before and after the incidents is night and day.

Neither are false. And I'll tell you what is true...You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

No. Objectively false. Go back and rewatch if you must. She said she was a hairdresser before being a gard. Plain as day. Deal with it.

Of course. It's a literal propaganda piece. Even COPS didn't sit them down for a nice chat lmfao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bump for Virgin Media 1 : The Gardai: Policing Paddy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

pgj2015 wrote: »

Also I wouldnt be judging the whole force by what you saw in a 4 part tv series. what about all the good work they do? like when they caught those scum bag ATM robbers lately? was that good enough for ya?

Haters will always be haters and KKV is a hater for some reason and only he or she knows why but some of us could guess. The vast majority of people who viewed the series thought it was excellent and they got a real understanding of how difficult and thankless a job it is which many people didn't fully understand. No job is perfect either and I'm sure Kkvs profession could be cut to pieces if they shared it with us but I doubt they will.

threeball wrote: »
    You won't get an effective policing body until they get the backing of the judiciary. Can you imagine going in to work and getting an assignment, completing it only to see it get thrown back to you 50 times and each time theres extra work added on top.

The problem resides with the Judges and the solicitors. They've created this pyramid scheme where they get paid handsomely and society suffers the consequences of poor law with no consequences for the criminal. The government need to provide prision space and pass a bill allowing stiffer sentences for repeat offenders. After that its over to judges and solicitors and if they don't play ball its time to come down on them too. The only judges who seem to do their jobs are those who are directly affected or have family affected by crime. Their sentencing before and after the incidents is night and day.

I agree with this. Having been in court recently for a parking fine, I witnessed a number of cases before mine in which it seemed the judge was there to prevent people going to jail, rather than punishing them for the repeated offences they were in for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: This is a friendly reminder to stay civil; cut out the bitching, correcting of spelling or general lowball hostility. Stay on topic, and don't make things personal.

Haters will always be haters and KKV is a hater for some reason and only he or she knows why but some of us could guess.

What does that mean?

• Advertisement

What does that mean?

Not sure. Maybe he thinks that some of the Garda in your area might know you fairly well.

Proudfoot would be well advised to take that massive rock off her finger while at work or risk losing her finger !

It could get caught in clothing in a struggle or hopping a fence and end in tears.

salonfire wrote: »
    Proudfoot would be well advised to take that massive rock off her finger while at work or risk losing her finger !

It could get caught in clothing in a struggle or hopping a fence and end in tears.

You should call and ask to speak to her. I'm sure she will be happy to hear you're concerns.

You should call and ask to speak to her. I'm sure she will be happy to hear you're concerns.

Everytime you make a comment on an Internet forum, do you follow up with a phone call?

Because I don't and don't intend to start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭STEE

Just asking about the TV program The Guards inside the K. I never got a round to watching all the episodes when it was aired on television I've only seen bits of it. So, I tried looking on youtube to find it but, I only found two episodes uploaded. Anyone know where I can find all the episodes in full please ? Also what does the K stand for in the K district :confused: Does it stand for "Kinahan" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

STEE wrote: »
    Just asking about the TV program The Guards inside the K. I never got a round to watching all the episodes when it was aired on television I've only seen bits of it. So, I tried looking on youtube to find it but, I only found two episodes uploaded. Anyone know where I can find all the episodes in full please ? Also what does the K stand for in the K district :confused: Does it stand for "Kinahan" lol

K stands for Kilo which is the Garda disctict of Blanchardstown, Cabra and Finglas. Also the letter on a guards shoulder followed by a number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this available on the player to watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It might be available on the player, I asked on the main thread for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this available on the player to watch?

No its not, don't know if it was taken down or if it was ever on it at all. Might have been an agreement to only show live, similar to Crimecall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It was pulled from the player I know that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement