Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grain Free food

• 28-02-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

We feed our 2 year old Cavachon Hills Science plan as recommended by our vet. I can’t help think we can be getting just as good food for much less. That said we gave our last dog Pedigree and he lived to 15.

Should we look for grain free options or does that matter so much. A 3kg bag lasts close to a month, he doesn’t eat very much

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Where are you buying it from? You might find it a bit cheaper online rather than from the vets. Taste of the Wild can be bought online slightly cheaper than Hills too if you want to go grain free, but unless the vet has prescribed a grain free diet there's no need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

irish_goat wrote: »
    Where are you buying it from? You might find it a bit cheaper online rather than from the vets. Taste of the Wild can be bought online slightly cheaper than Hills too if you want to go grain free, but unless the vet has prescribed a grain free diet there's no need to.

Mostly Petmania or another locally owned pet shop near us. Is Hills a good food? Have noticed that the first ingredient is Maize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hills isn't very good, there's lots of options better, look at ingredients, named meat should be first, I feed grain free wet and dry food, currently Rocco and lukullus, from zooplus.ie but petmania have some, just check out ingredients. You can also check on zooplus if you can shop online, huge range there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

mymo wrote: »
    Hills isn't very good, there's lots of options better, look at ingredients, named meat should be first, I feed grain free wet and dry food, currently Rocco and lukullus, from zooplus.ie but petmania have some, just check out ingredients. You can also check on zooplus if you can shop online, huge range there.

Is there any benefit or not to feeding wet? We never have or did with our last dog? Happy to buy online but would prefer a food that was available in shops as a backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I don't think so, I know they say dry is better for teeth but I'm not so sure, my lhasa was on dry and at 2 had a lot of plaque on her teeth, we switched to wet and he teeth are no worse now at 11 than they were at 2.
    Some places like maxizoo or petmania sell wet trays of nature menu (I think that's the name) grain free, I just buy the Rocco 24 cans every 4 weeks, feeds my 3 for that long. I order when I'm down to last 6-8 cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

If Royal Canin suits your dog you might find it online cheaper. Zooplus is a good place to start

If you're considering going grain free look into the recent concerns about nutritional dilated cardiomyopathy and grain free. It's not pinned down entirely what is causing the taurine binding but it looks like foods with lots of peas (often added for protein), other legumes such as lentil/chickpeas and potatoes are of most concern. It doesn't rule all grain free out but it's worth thinking about and reading labels carefully.

Also, "fresh" chicken or salmon or whatever meat as the first ingredient in a food can be misleading, as it's 80% plus water. Dry/dehydrated meat as a first ingredient would be preferable.

I don't mind some cereals in dog food...I feed mine Bonios so it seems somewhat irrelevant to ensure the dry food has no grain in it!

Advertisement