Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom renovation cost

Options
  • 28-02-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

Looking for some ballpark figures on cost of renovation in and around cork for a main bathroom 2.5m x 2.5m to have a rough idea what we are getting into before we start getting quotes from contractors. Any inputs based on your recent experience appreciated.
    Work includes:
    1. Rip off old tiles, fixtures (incl sink, toilet, bath tub)
    2. Replace bathtub with a shower tray
    3. supply and install shower tray,toilet, sink, all round tiles.
    4. get rid of all rubble and rubbish after the work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Tiles can be cheap or costly it’s worth while going to a tile showroom and to get a basic price of them

Same for the fittings you can do cheap, to give you a idea I done my bathrooms last year my loo seat in one of them was 140 euros as I wonted one that I could tap when open and closes itself,

So I brought all the fittings for both my bathrooms one was a shower bathroom and the other was a bathroom bathroom, all tiles and all fittings where about 7k for both bathrooms, the biggest cost was wait for it the bathroom as it’s a free standing unit and I wonted diffeeent legs for it and I had to get a fancy set of free standing taps for it as well,

So I paid 7k to fit the titles, reslab one of the bathrooms bathroom as there was Notting under then once he started to take the old tiles, remove waste, provide his own pipe fittings, fit everything and provided his own grout and tile adhesment. This was for 2 bathrooms

In total it cost me 14k for both bathrooms for everything, he was the cheapest, I was quoted 15k to just fit the bathrooms and tile them off one crowd,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Average costs are between 8 and 11k for a bathroom of that size. Depending on fit and finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Hi,

Looking for some ballpark figures on cost of renovation in and around cork for a main bathroom 2.5m x 2.5m to have a rough idea what we are getting into before we start getting quotes from contractors. Any inputs based on your recent experience appreciated.
    Work includes:
    1. Rip off old tiles, fixtures (incl sink, toilet, bath tub)
    2. Replace bathtub with a shower tray
    3. supply and install shower tray,toilet, sink, all round tiles.
    4. get rid of all rubble and rubbish after the work.

Got 3.5m² bathroom renovated last summer. Quotes were from 6000 to 6500. I'd be asking suppliers how much they charge for the labour part ( all work excluding tiles and fixtures)and you can compare like with like then. Generally labour element quotes were 3500 to 4500 (excluding vat) for us. We tiled floor and walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You could save a considerable amount of cost by tiling over the wall tiles that are there, just have the tiler remove the ones around the window reveal. When the bath is taken out (by the plumber) if the slab is in good condition fix some plywood (the tiler) to it to bring the wall to the same level as the tiles. If the slab is anyway damaged remove it and replace (again the tiler will do this).

Pick out your own tiles and bathroom ware, prices can vary hugely. Buy the flexible adhesive, grout and tile trims and silicone from a builder providers rather than the tile shop and you'll save big time.

Price around and order the skip yourself for when you know when the job is going ahead. Have all the materials in the house to show the contractors when they call to price the work.

You're basically looking for a plumber and a tiler and they both should know an electrician who will do the small bit of work they can't do. A lot of plumbers will recommend a tiler they have worked with and vice versa and this is the best way to get things done.

Basically the plumber comes in and removes all the ware and fits the shower tray, the electrician then sorts out the wiring for the shower. Then the tiler comes in removes old floor tiles and fixes new tiles from floor to ceiling. Plumber then comes back and fits all the new ware and new shower (maybe electrician again) and shower door.

Two days work for a plumber with a helper, three days for the tiler and a couple of hours for the electrician.

Make sure you offer tea or coffee and maybe a biscuit when they are working.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You could save a considerable amount of cost by tiling over the wall tiles that are there, just have the tiler remove the ones around the window reveal. When the bath is taken out (by the plumber) if the slab is in good condition fix some plywood (the tiler) to it to bring the wall to the same level as the tiles. If the slab is anyway damaged remove it and replace (again the tiler will do this).

Pick out your own tiles and bathroom ware, prices can vary hugely. Buy the flexible adhesive, grout and tile trims and silicone from a builder providers rather than the tile shop and you'll save big time.

Price around and order the skip yourself for when you know when the job is going ahead. Have all the materials in the house to show the contractors when they call to price the work.

You're basically looking for a plumber and a tiler and they both should know an electrician who will do the small bit of work they can't do. A lot of plumbers will recommend a tiler they have worked with and vice versa and this is the best way to get things done.

Basically the plumber comes in and removes all the ware and fits the shower tray, the electrician then sorts out the wiring for the shower. Then the tiler comes in removes old floor tiles and fixes new tiles from floor to ceiling. Plumber then comes back and fits all the new ware and new shower (maybe electrician again) and shower door.

Two days work for a plumber with a helper, three days for the tiler and a couple of hours for the electrician.

Make sure you offer tea or coffee and maybe a biscuit when they are working.

Just to add here, i am putting on Dumaplast over my tiles around the bath, could also be an option. It looks good in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Just another Customer

Thanks. That's very useful.

Tiles can be cheap or costly it’s worth while going to a tile showroom and to get a basic price of them

Same for the fittings you can do cheap, to give you a idea I done my bathrooms last year my loo seat in one of them was 140 euros as I wonted one that I could tap when open and closes itself,

So I brought all the fittings for both my bathrooms one was a shower bathroom and the other was a bathroom bathroom, all tiles and all fittings where about 7k for both bathrooms, the biggest cost was wait for it the bathroom as it’s a free standing unit and I wonted diffeeent legs for it and I had to get a fancy set of free standing taps for it as well,

So I paid 7k to fit the titles, reslab one of the bathrooms bathroom as there was Notting under then once he started to take the old tiles, remove waste, provide his own pipe fittings, fit everything and provided his own grout and tile adhesment. This was for 2 bathrooms

In total it cost me 14k for both bathrooms for everything, he was the cheapest, I was quoted 15k to just fit the bathrooms and tile them off one crowd,
    Thanks. This is very helpful. you are right about the tiles, there is a whole range out there to suit everyones budget.

Also, would the contractors have the same amount of interest in a job if its an install only job? Would they take us more seriously if we ask for supply and install or it doesn't really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In Dublin but I imagine broadly same costs, I got a small en-suite done a few months back for about 5k, included getting a pvc ceiling. I’m an electrician so that save a few quid but I also pulled out the old one and stripped it back so he did have to put in new boards on the wall. As I took out the old tiles and dry lining I did trips to the local council Center so saved a few quid on a skip too. I also got him to leave all his rubbish in the front garden and got rid of that myself. Probably save a grand or so but my job allows me time for things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks. This is very helpful. you are right about the tiles, there is a whole range out there to suit everyones budget.

Also, would the contractors have the same amount of interest in a job if its an install only job? Would they take us more seriously if we ask for supply and install or it doesn't really matter?

Less hassle for any contractor if you supply all materials, just have everything there for them to see in case they think of anything else you will need.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

listermint wrote: »
    Average costs are between 8 and 11k for a bathroom of that size. Depending on fit and finish.
    Thanks. Do you think buying our own materials would make it slightly lower?

• Advertisement

seefin wrote: »
    Got 3.5m² bathroom renovated last summer. Quotes were from 6000 to 6500. I'd be asking suppliers how much they charge for the labour part ( all work excluding tiles and fixtures)and you can compare like with like then. Generally labour element quotes were 3500 to 4500 (excluding vat) for us. We tiled floor and walls.
    Thanks.

Just to add here, i am putting on Dumaplast over my tiles around the bath, could also be an option. It looks good in my view.
    Thanks. So, am I right in understanding that you are suggesting to go to individual workmen rather than a contractor with all those people working with/under him ? If so, the this sound economical as we can pick the best prices for each expertise. May be a little difficult to co-ordinate, but manageable.

We are considering Dumaplast as well. DO you have any feedback from people who have already used them? Would appreciate if you could share. COnsidering you are going ahead, assume it is a good solution.

salmocab wrote: »
    In Dublin but I imagine broadly same costs, I got a small en-suite done a few months back for about 5k, included getting a pvc ceiling. I’m an electrician so that save a few quid but I also pulled out the old one and stripped it back so he did have to put in new boards on the wall. As I took out the old tiles and dry lining I did trips to the local council Center so saved a few quid on a skip too. I also got him to leave all his rubbish in the front garden and got rid of that myself. Probably save a grand or so but my job allows me time for things like that.
    Thanks. Did that 5K include supply of fittings and tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thanks. Did that 5K include supply of fittings and tiles?

Sorry should have been clear, yes it was for tiles and all the adhesive grouts etc, new toilet, radiator, sink on a little press thing, rain head shower, shower tray and shower door. Think it was roughly half and half for materials and the fitter. I bought all the stuff myself and he just fitted. He generally does work for the shop we bought off but we had got him separately it was just a coincidence he was one of their normal fitters. His half included the plaster board, the ceiling and all the plumbing bits and pieces as well as obviously labour. Think my total was 5200 at the end but we did buy some slightly fancy things that wouldn’t be strictly necessary but it’s a very small en-suite probably a bit less than 3 m2

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cosycat

Hi

I want to replace my bathroom sink, toilet and bath with newer version of all three. I will remove all of them.myself, no tiling work needed just the plumbing. How much should I expect to pay?

Advertisement