Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coronavirus and the property effect

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

PommieBast wrote: »
    I was aware of IT vs. IT :)

Figures are hard to come by but anecdotally it looks like the vast majority of people in Dublin have had a pay cut of some sort. Wouldn't surprise me if Google et al are the only ones who have not.

I'd also be curious as to how many people are actually better off, notwithstanding having their salaries cut as they would not be spending as much on transport, childcare, discretionary expenditure (e.g. Drinks in town) etc. Additionally, a survey as to general wellbeing would also be interesting given people have more time at home and more free time in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd also be curious as to how many people are actually better off, notwithstanding having their salaries cut as they would not be spending as much on transport, childcare, discretionary expenditure (e.g. Drinks in town) etc. Additionally, a survey as to general wellbeing would also be interesting given people have more time at home and more free time in general.

Not neccesarily beneficial to everyone's wellbeing, would vastly depend on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Reading the ST business supplement today has convinced me that Capitalism is the ultimate house of cards. Glenveigh Properties announcing that 'virtual' viewings and inquiries are strong.. nothing to see here.
    Deny deny deny while there's still time to get out.
    Think we've been here before.
    Meanwhile the state backed HBFI announces a doubling of funding to developers..so guess who's going to pay?

Reading the ST business supplement today has convinced me that Capitalism is the ultimate house of cards. Glenveigh Properties announcing that 'virtual' viewings and inquiries are strong.. nothing to see here.
    Deny deny deny while there's still time to get out.
    Think we've been here before.
    Meanwhile the state backed HBFI announces a doubling of funding to developers..so guess who's going to pay?

The only thing that affects property prices is the Moon, and the tide has turned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭headtheball14

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So I've been looking to get a medium size construction job done.
    Was planning on doing it myself as I couldn't get someone to take it on. (Could only get a single quote, that was given over the phone for €20K)

I presume if there's a silver lining to this COVID situation this situation will probably change now. Or will it?

Will these guys just have a backlog of work? Is everything (building related) not just "on hold"?

Or will I get lucky and get a builder with a more reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

You can always self build and hire tradesmen and skip the middleman aka builder if your prepared to do the hard work on planning and coordinating waste removal material delivery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Zulu wrote: »
    So I've been looking to get a medium size construction job done.
    Was planning on doing it myself as I couldn't get someone to take it on. (Could only get a single quote, that was given over the phone for €20K)

I presume if there's a silver lining to this COVID situation this situation will probably change now. Or will it?

Will these guys just have a backlog of work? Is everything (building related) not just "on hold"?

Or will I get lucky and get a builder with a more reasonable price?

I’d say you will. We have been discussing extending or moving house, now I think I’ll do neither. I’d be afraid of having someone come in and knock the back walls off the house and suddenly find ourselves in lockdown again unable to complete it with a baby on the way. I know someone this happened to, they’re in the middle of the extension and living with family since the lockdown. I’d be afraid to do anything now bar a small job that could be done in a week or two. I’d say people will be unable or unwilling to finance anything is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

lomb wrote: »
    You can always self build and hire tradesmen and skip the middleman aka builder if your prepared to do the hard work on planning and coordinating waste removal material delivery etc
    Well, I've all that done.
    Just need a block layer, plasterer, and someone to fit a 5m glass door. One good guy could probably do the lot - the thing is trying to find them!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Zulu wrote: »
    Well, I've all that done.
    Just need a block layer, plasterer, and someone to fit a 5m glass door. One good guy could probably do the lot - the thing is trying to find them!

Give it a few months and there will be plenty of tradesman available and labour costs will have reduced significantly. I would advise you to start your self-build in early 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

They've put up another set of COVID-19 Queries from TDs from about 2 weeks ago:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/covid-19-related_responses_11_may.pdf

Allotments are reopened in Phase 1 from my reading of one of the questions. Not sure why but I think I'd been assuming they might have been opened before from their ability to produce food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think this bit might be finished from today:
    Slydice wrote: »
    Another extension added on the all public participation periods in the planning system

Does someone have experience or example for the types of situations this is covering. Seems important enough with some many extensions. Is it mainly health and safety or planning application appeals or something?

Public participation period in the planning system extended for a further 14 days
    Published on Saturday, 09 May 2020
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/planning/covid-19-coronavirus/public-participation-period-planning-system-extended-further-14-days

They've put this up:
    Minister Murphy: Public participation period in Planning returns to normal
    Published on Monday, 25 May 2020
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/planning/covid-19-coronavirus/minister-murphy-public-participation-period-planning-returns-normal
    From today, Monday 25 May 2020, the normal periods for public participation processes for planning applications under the Planning and Development Acts will apply to new applications.

Advertisement