Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narrow bed against wall - screening plants

Options
  • 28-02-2020 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I’m getting a patio built and it will include a narrow planting bed ( 1’ wide, open to ground under neath) between a boundary wall (c 5’ high) and a low seating wall (c 2’ high). I want to plant something that will provide screening between patio and neighbour (over the boundary wall.

I’m thinking some kind of bamboo. Any other suggestions to consider ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Be careful with Bamboo. It's roots can almost escape anywhere. Also remember that footings, foundations etc intrude into borders especially when the builders don't spare the cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Toughest job I ever had to do in the garden was get rid of poxy bamboo.

Burn it now, OP. Before you plant it. Only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

How about a good quality trellis and a scented climber like honeysuckle? That would be lovely at a seating area. A small beech hedge would be a year round screen.

‘Right plant, right place’ is an important garden rule, otherwise what you choose may not thrive, flower or not suit. So with that in mind, what direction does the new garden face, is it sunny south or west facing or shady north or east facing, that will determine what will suit. Is the planting bed raised off the ground or dug into it? That will determine if it’s free draining? Is the soil acidic, alkaline or neutral, waterlogged or heavy clay? What level of maintenance/ gardening would you like to do? That will have a bearing if you go for fussy flowers/plants that need pruning and attention. Do you have any colours in particular that you like? I always think starting a garden is almost like buying a pet �� you need to think about size when fully grown your level of commitment etc

Things I love that would be nice for the planting bed below and are low maintenance are a combination of catmint, salvia, scabious, with lupins, in purple/blue tones. They attract so many lovely bees and butterflies.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭headtheball14

Bamboo is a bit of a curse, there are varieties that aren’t as invasive but it could lift patio slabs, I have something similar though I’m not trying to screen from next door. At 5 foot wall do you need to?
    I’ve been putting some herbs there. It’s lovely to brush past and get the scent or grab some for a drink on the way .
    I’m also setting some sweet pea and hoping to train it up the wall along with possibly a fig tree but I might keep that in a pot

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suggest you do not use trellis if you are planting any of the vigorous wall shrubs. Use something like vine eyes and wire - even if it is pulled down it is reasonably easy to replace. I have had honeysuckle on a trellis twist through the slats and completely buckle and distort the trellis. And once it has done that it is impossible to extract the broken timber. It was pretty substantial trellis, not the very lightweight stuff you get in garden centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

Bamboo looks great and is fine as long as you use non invasive clumping bamboo and use a barrier such as high density polyethylene. You could also put them in a lined planter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks for the comments folks. To clarify a few things:
    - the area where the patio will be is bounded by a c. 5 wall, one the patio is installed the ground level would be c 6'' higher so it will be a 4.5' wall. I'm getting a low wall (c. 2') built c. 1' out from this with the gap between filled with topsoil. This is where i'm planting into so it will be pretty free draining.

- the wall will face north, so shaded until the plants reach the level of the boundary wall (2.5/3') and then full sun.

- comments about the roots of bamboo are interesting/concerning - would the block walls on each side of this planting trench be at risk from (clumping) bamboo roots?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

okedoke wrote: »
    - comments about the roots of bamboo are interesting/concerning - would the block walls on each side of this planting trench be at risk from (clumping) bamboo roots?

Clumping bamoo is fine IMO. It's the running stuff you need to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Honeysuckle, climbing hydrangea and some roses would be good on a north wall. Put in things like ferns, berginia, woodland bulbs to fill in the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

looksee wrote: »
    Honeysuckle, climbing hydrangea and some roses would be good on a north wall. Put in things like ferns, berginia, woodland bulbs to fill in the bottom.

Hostas are also a classic combination with ferns, for colour wood anemones are lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement