Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night out in Portlaoise.

Options
  • 28-02-2020 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Trying to plan a night out for next Sat in Portlaoise. None of us have ever been so we are clueless.
    4 women in mid 30s, staying in Killeshin. Any recommendations for lunch/dinner (do we need to book etc)/drinks/dancing/drunken chipper?
    Not a massive budget but slightly above student level :p

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Stay on the train!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The laoise ye could do is go to Galway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Ah we are coming from all over the country so we went for somewhere central and cheap 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

pooch90 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Trying to plan a night out for next Sat in Portlaoise. None of us have ever been so we are clueless.
    4 women in mid 30s, staying in Killeshin. Any recommendations for lunch/dinner (do we need to book etc)/

The Kileshin is a wee bit out (Its Kilminchy, not Portlaoise) , get a taxi from the train station -
    but there is an Indian Restaurant nearby (Indian Prince) that is worth the price.
    More centrally, Bloom Restaurant is worth the visit too, as is the Bay tree - but really depends on what ye are after.

drinks/dancing/drunken chipper?

In the town; Quite a few bars will have a bit of music on for the Saturday night - so it'll depend on what you are after.
    The Soho Nightclub might suit you for the dance away, or Kavanaghs are likely to have a band on.
    Other pubs will have a share of country music, or golden oldies or covers bands - a crawl might be the better option!

In Killminchy, a lot of locals go to O'Gormans, but I hear the bar in the hotel is decent enough.

Finding late night food will not be a problem!!

Thanks in advance!

The pubs that open the later, will also have the prices that are steeper - but it's still cheaper than Dublin.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi guys,
    4 women in mid 30s, staying in Killeshin. Any recommendations for lunch/dinner (do we need to book etc)/drinks/dancing/drunken chipper?

Thanks in advance!

i hope your staying in THE Killeshin Hotel, and not IN Killeshin :P

• Advertisement

Yep the Killeshin hotel. We will be driving so no issue with getting from stations.
    We honestly dont care where we are once we dont have to get up to deal with our kids in the morning!
    Thanks for the tips above Sonic_exyouth

Yep the Killeshin hotel. We will be driving so no issue with getting from stations.
    We honestly dont care where we are once we dont have to get up to deal with our kids in the morning!
    Thanks for the tips above Sonic_exyouth

just as an FYI - Kellys steakhouse just won some award for "best casual restaurant". I'd forgotten about that place, it's at the Midlands park hotel and is deffo worth the visit.

https://www.midlandsparkhotel.com/kellys-steakhouse.html

Surprisingly we had an unreal night!
    Ate in Jeremiah Grant's which was crap tbh. Zero decent gluten free options for my friend. Couldn't even give her spuds for some unknown mad reason. Went up to Sally's then which was a bit more craic but very narky barmaids (apart from one)
    Finished the night in Lillys which turned out to be deadly! Danced our arses off and had the craic with locals.

Surprisingly we had an unreal night!
    Ate in Jeremiah Grant's which was crap tbh. Zero decent gluten free options for my friend. Couldn't even give her spuds for some unknown mad reason. Went up to Sally's then which was a bit more craic but very narky barmaids (apart from one)
    Finished the night in Lillys which turned out to be deadly! Danced our arses off and had the craic with locals.

Thats great!!

Randomly enough- I'm fairly sure Lilly's itself has some decent gluten free stuff!

Thats great!!

Randomly enough- I'm fairly sure Lilly's itself has some decent gluten free stuff!

Awh no way! We should have started and stayed there. Music was early 00s dance mostly so we were bouncing 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement