Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Burning of Cork exhibition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was in there earlier, walked past and saw it by accident, it's in St Peters on North Main Street and well worth a visit if you're in town.

Oh and it's free !!

https://stpeterscork.ie/cork-1920-the-burning-of-a-city/

Have to get to this - sounds very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Definitely agree it's worth a visit, called in their last week. Will probably go back as the video exhibits were in use & as it was lunchtime wasn't able to hang around.

504126.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks. Glad to know the venue is exhibiting again. I've seen lots of good stuff there in the past ... and then it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Thanks op,I look forward to seeing that when I get back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Brilliant book on the burning of Cork too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

no commemoration of this? seems odd in this era of centenaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Good article on RTE website. Some great photos. Seeing British troops in front of Roches Stores is scary. Some of the building damage wouldn't look out of place after a WW2 bombing raid.

I drive through Dillons Cross every day and never knew about what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gourcuff wrote: »

There was a commemorations but due to Covid they were scaled back. There was a plaque put up at dillons cross. I’m from the area and I’ve passed dillons cross so many times and while I know where the ambush started at Harrington square, I don’t know where o Sullivan’s pub stood in relation to now and o Callaghan’s field I assume is somewhere near where the road to the glen is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There was a commemorations but due to Covid they were scaled back. There was a plaque put up at dillons cross. I’m from the area and I’ve passed dillons cross so many times and while I know where the ambush started at Harrington square, I don’t know where o Sullivan’s pub stood in relation to now and o Callaghan’s field I assume is somewhere near where the road to the glen is.

I lived in Harrington Square at one point!
    I didn't know it was historically significant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I lived in Harrington Square at one point!
    I didn't know it was historically significant!

Yeah Harrington square isn’t just a grotto and a dentists practice. It’s amazing to think one of/if not the biggest event of that time in Irish history started in Harrington square. Maybe it’s been covered but why didn’t the lads from the barracks go down military hill and into the city ?

Also, when I was younger I knew cork had burned in the war of Independence, I always assumed it was the savoy side that was burnt down because it looked shabby compared to the other side of the street. Such a shame the Carnegie library was destroyed. Imagine all the records and valuable documents that went up in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gourcuff wrote: »

Not much commemoration of anything due to some virus or other...

The only good thing about it is it stopped the black beret/bomber jacket/Easter Lily combo crowd "claiming" them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah Harrington square isn’t just a grotto and a dentists practice. It’s amazing to think one of/if not the biggest event of that time in Irish history started in Harrington square. Maybe it’s been covered but why didn’t the lads from the barracks go down military hill and into the city ?

Also, when I was younger I knew cork had burned in the war of Independence, I always assumed it was the savoy side that was burnt down because it looked shabby compared to the other side of the street. Such a shame the Carnegie library was destroyed. Imagine all the records and valuable documents that went up in flames.

One of the RTE Nationwide programmes from last week (Monday or Wednesday) was dedicated to the burning of Cork. Very interesting with lots of old photos, including the Carnegie Library, a beautiful building.

Advertisement