Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snake bites man.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What about other dangerous hobbies??
    Driving high powered sports bikes? Sky diving? Shooting? Smoking? Boxing/mma?
    Should they not be "allowed"?

Your motorbike isnt likely to run off on you and start biting and killing people or kill off and overtake the native wildlife.

We've managed just fine without poisonous snakes and spiders here thanks. If you want to be surrounded by that ****, theres a lovely warm country down the bottom of the world.....

The "I'm a responsible dangerous animal owner and I'd never let mine escape" line doesnt wash. Most of the people that have been bitten by their dangerous pets or had them escape thought they were great responsible owners who it would never happen to.

As for the smoking , like drinking , red herrings are often brought up in debates like these. They are ingrained in society now, the harmfulness is well known and efforts are being made to get rid of them. If they never existed and someone came along today and said "here, I think we should sell this smelly, foul tasting stick of cancer to people so they can set fire to it and breath in its harmful fumes" , it wouldnt be allowed.

When I opened the article I wasn't expecting to see a ****ing PUFF ADDER bite.

He's one very lucky fella. Puff adders are no joke. Well done to the medical men and women that aided him, great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

I taught this was about a half n half Bulmers and Harp in the old days.

I hope your students learned their lesson...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Next time wear protective gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If you keep a snake as a pet you are a bloody weirdo. Even more so keeping a poisonous one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,354 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Driving high powered sports bikes? You can drive these safely too, yes? You could drive like a lunatic in a Nissan Micra if you wanted to.

Sky diving? With training and back up systems most if not all danger can be eliminated.

Shooting? Again with proper training and good practice I don't see why not.

Smoking? Both dangerous and stupid, I'll grant you that.

Boxing/mma? With medics on standby and rules the danger can be minimised.

Having a venomous creature as a fcuking pet, not having an anti venom immediately to hand and with a worldwide shortage of same is asking for trouble. This is an animal that isn't going to be your bestest buddy, doesn't give any fücks about sh1tting you up, and will strike at anything it perceives is either a threat or food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    If you keep a snake as a pet you are a bloody weirdo. Even more so keeping a poisonous one.

What's wrong with keeping a snake?
    I had one for years before it died, as well as a scorpion and a spider.

Some people like unusual pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dogs are the only acceptable pets. None of your expensive full breeds either. Ugly mongrel ones that could be half Rottweiler or Chihuahua for all you know.

Cats are also acceptable if you’re a lady

;)

The best pet is a mink, no rats in the house ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Driving high powered sports bikes? You can drive these safely too, yes? You could drive like a lunatic in a Nissan Micra if you wanted to.[/quote correct, and that would be more dangerous to the public than any privately kept snake that is kept with the correct protocols
    sky diving? With training and back up systems most if not all danger can be eliminated.
    same with keeping dangerous animals
    shooting? Again with proper training and good practice I don't see why not.
    as above
    Having a venomous creature as a fcuking pet, not having an anti venom immediately to hand and with a worldwide shortage of same is asking for trouble. This is an animal that isn't going to be your bestest buddy, doesn't give any fücks about sh1tting you up, and will strike at anything it perceives is either a threat or food.

Antivenin is a highly dangerous and restricted medicine. It is not possible or legal for it to be "immediately to hand" for a hobbyist keeper. And your wrong about snakes striking at anything. Vast majority settle down and stop striking at there owners

• Advertisement

He needs
    cytotoxic
    antivenom.

vriesmays wrote: »
    He needs
    cytotoxic
    antivenom.

A polyvalent antivenin will work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

It seems that the present full scale attack on all forms of animal life in the Everglades is being carried out by Pytons that escaped ( or were released when they got too big to handle ) And as they have no natural predator to control them, they are fast becoming the major predator there, decimating the local wildlife.

jmreire wrote: »
    It seems that the present full scale attack on all forms of animal life in the Everglades is being carried out by Pytons that escaped ( or were released when they got too big to handle ) And as they have no natural predator to control them, they are fast becoming the major predator there, decimating the local wildlife.

What has that got to do with this incident?
    And it was a huge storm that destroyed a breading facility, released pets where a very small part of the problem

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tazzimus wrote: »
    What's wrong with keeping a snake?
    I had one for years before it died, as well as a scorpion and a spider.

Some people like unusual pets.

Same here-at one stage I had 5 tarantulas,2 snakes and 2 lizards....really cool pets.. But I did get rid of the tarantulas after getting a nasty bite. My right index finger swelled up to twice its size and I felt like I was getting an electric shock in my hand for a few days.

Luckily enough the venom was and I quote "not medically significant"

Still hurt like ****.

Ive also been bitten my non venomous snakes and that hurt like **** aswell especially a royal python that got a good hold of me.

However the worst ever was a bite from a false widow that got me while I was removing decking here last summer.

Ended up on 2 courses of antibiotics and 2 weeks of steroids. Doc said I was lucky I wasn't hospitalised with blood poisoning as the venom was starting to spread up a blood vessel and you could actually see the venom travelling from the bite site.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,354 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And your wrong about snakes striking at anything. Vast majority settle down and stop striking at there owners

*you're

Jaysus that's reassuring...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Any truth to the rumour he got bitten in an intimate area?

What has that got to do with this incident?
    And it was a huge storm that destroyed a breading facility, released pets where a very small part of the problem

I had not heard about a breeding facility being damaged, only about the escaped pets....But to get the ball rolling, you only need a breeding hair. Then let nature take it's course, and soon you will have a situation where when the environment is favorable as in the Florida Everglades, with no natural predators to keep them in check,these Pytons are now estimated to be in the region of 100'000. They are highly invasive, and will kill anything from rats / cat's to Alligators and deer. They are now a very serious problem and threatening the very survival of the Everglades...and are expanding out of there too.
    As to what this has got to do with the snake biting incident here in Ireland... what happens if these snakes escape, and increase and multiply, like the Everglades???

As to what this has got to do with the snake biting incident here in Ireland... what happens if these snakes escape, and increase and multiply, like the Everglades???

Ireland's climate won't sustain such creatures- they would die quite quickly if released in the wild- too cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

vriesmays wrote: »
    Next time wear protective gloves.

Who said he was bitten in the hand?

It could have been something kinky gone wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ireland's climate won't sustain such creatures- they would die quite quickly if released in the wild- too cold.
    Indeed. In fact there was a python found not that long ago up in the Wicklow Mountains near the Sally Gap that had clearly been just dumped there. It was in a bad way when found and eventually died.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/sammi-the-snake-dies-after-being-abandoned-in-sally-gap-38181500.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A polyvalent antivenin will work

How would you know? You’re not even venomous.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Is there a point you're failing to make?

Personally, I am more than happy to hear that, and especially the toxic ones !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour he got bitten in an intimate area?

The honeymoon suite?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s for such reasons we have the best climate in the world. Beyond summertime, at least and whilst we can’t deny there are individuals who actively attempt to introduce non-native species bar some instances of animals and indeed humans it is very seldom they will take hold and flourish offsetting the natural balance of the ecosystem within our particularly unique microclimate. Which should be protected, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why is there a licensing model for anti venom... surely as there is no real black market, abuse-ability or any other benefit to posessing it , it shouldnt require a licence. Surely being able to keep an anti-venom kit at home for emergencies would be worthwhile for people who insist venomous snakes are 'great' pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why is there a licensing model for anti venom...
    From doing a bit of Googling it would appear that in many countries that you need a licence to produce it, which would make sense I suppose.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Actually there are plenty species of snakes that can be found at latitudes as high as Canada even into the Artic Circle.

Cornsnakes,European Adders are a couple.

There are some viper species that can live all year round in Southern Canada which is a similar latitude to ourselves.

Rattlesnakes hibernate throughout the winter and can live in freezing temperatures in the desert.

The snake found in the Dublin Mountains was a Burmese Python. These need 25-30 degrees celcius to survive.
    The more temperate species could survive no problem in our climate

Thank God for St Patrick ridding us of them !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement