Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving mortgages - break clause

Options
  • 28-02-2020 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I’m a bit confused about the cost of breaking our fixed rate mortgage in order to switch to a better rate. We’d like to change from a 4 yr fixed term with Ulster Bank which we’re halfway through to UBs 5 year fixed.

My husband phoned the bank to enquire and they sent us out a letter advising us that the cost of breaking the fixed term is the lesser of 6 months interest and another calculation which equals (the amount left on the mortgage) x (the difference in the money market rate at the date of drawdown and the money market rate at the date of breakage) x the number of days left on the fixed rate/360.

The letter we got from the bank just gives the 6 months interest cost which is €5.5kish but by my calculations, the other calculation should give a much lower break cost if I use the 12m euribor rates for a loose approximation. I would expect the break cost to be about €1k which would make changing interest rate worth our while.

So my question is, does anyone have experience switching from a fixed rate and is my loose approximation wildly off or is the letter we received from UB just outlining the 6 months interest as a break cost very misleading?

Advertisement