Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan conversion

Options
  • 29-02-2020 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Looking for advice on a camper conversion...
    First step im seeking tried and trusted advice
    Couch beer guts, stay away unless you have advice..
    SO first thing is I would like to change from van to campervan on logbook...
    Called the place and they said ok,and it has to be signed off by an enngineer
    Friendly helpful advice please welcome

Ps. The picture shows the van..the back is insulated and wood paneled...its a crew cab and ideally wed like to keep it like this but maybe change the crew part and use back strictly for storage and sleep...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Would you not just buy a ready made one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomazzi

Ah feck off ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mod remark

1) I've changed the thread title from Conversation to conversion
    2) be civil to each other or this gets locked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

In order to legally and properly register a van as a campervan (motor caravan) you’ll need to first satisfy the revenue definition:-

link here.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/conversions/specific-vehicles.aspx

Then Speak to your SQI before you start (The engineer who will be certifying the conversion). Beds, kitchen, cookers, gas, etc.., all need to be installed in a particular way!

Once SQI signs it off, you then need to pay VRT to revenue to officially convert. The VRT value depends on the van cost PLUS the build cost (you'll need receipts for the build) - vrt calculated at 13.3%

Once paid, you'll get a cert from revenue. Tax office next... 102 euro PER YEAR‚ then a new log book is issued. Plus you’ll need a fresh CVRT test as it’s no longer a van.

Last thing.., you play the 'looking for insurance' game! This can be tricky if your internal height inside is less than 1.8m! This is NOT an issue for revenue! Only insurers.

It all sounds a lot more daunting than it actually is!

Thank you hooked
    Yes...this is and seema to be a recurring area in doing anything adventurous...the fear and redtape areas...
    I have the van now and its in pretty good nick for a 2006...

*** a little question to you, will I be supplied with a list of engineers from local cvrt department or I will need to find one???...like say from golden pages...

The insurance,yes...im on it already...I do hope to have this completed and going by May..

First step is change to camper

• Advertisement

What has anybody whose undertaken this type project before used for power...

Im looking for solar powered , not hella expensive stuff...charge phones ,laptop, lighting etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Contact the motorcaravan club. They will not support people looking to build day vans, or people trying to dodge tax by building a camper.

They can help you in terms of insurance, as they have a scheme with Axa for vans with less than 1.8m height.

They also have their own SQI who will inspect the conversion.

I would expect your VRT to be around €600-700.

If your power needs are basic, then just fit a split charger and leisure battery, you can fit both of these as well as your existing van battery under the drivers seat.
    You don’t need solar in your case.
    6-B0-A10-E7-5-DA6-41-B8-98-A6-DE355-BB0-CF3-C.jpg
    We built a Transit a few years ago, start from page 7 as hosting for the pictures failed before that. Might give you ideas for the battery placement and how big things like bed are, this was a SWB
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057770094&page=7

Tomazzi wrote: »

Im looking for solar powered , not hella expensive stuff...charge phones ,laptop, lighting etc...

I have 2 leisure batteries, powered by a split charge relay (it basically tops up the battery while driving) and a small solar panel. Plus a plug in charger. If needed.

240 v power comes via an ‘inverter’ turning the 12v into 240. And a separate 240v ‘hook up’ system for campsites.

Check out ‘Self Build Campervans Ireland’ on Facebook. 3000+ members and loads of advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

I would install a decent leisure battery and split charge system before looking at solar panels. Things like phones, tablets and the like consume little power while charging. If you plan to use mains voltage i.e. electrical hookup such as that found on a campsite, then allow for that too with the respective sockets and connections. This can also power a charger to keep your leisure battery topped up. Personally, I would be looking at a 110 - 120 Ah battery.

Cheers guys...
    Good advice..
    I shall look at the online stuff..
    Split charger from amazon about 60 £
    Sound about right...and a big tractor battery ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers guys...
    Good advice..
    I shall look at the online stuff..
    Split charger from amazon about 60 £
    Sound about right...and a big tractor battery ;)

Make sure it's a proper deep cycle battery !

So a deepcycle battery...I just read up on them...

Also called leisure battery.

Everydays a school battery...
    Cheers again for info...
    Looking forward to so much of this...
    Not so much the red tape and trawling for insurance..
    But saying that,,also looking to pay it forward and someday be of assistance to ppl who want to do simular...

Any one know a good offer on deep cycle battery and split charger ?
    Halfords have the batteries...I cant se any irish websites with split charger and socket

If you know anyone with Halfords trade card you can get a discount. Axa customers get 10% off.

Look up Simply Split Charge for a kit they do that has all the terminals and leads included.

Figure out where you want to put the battery first as that will determine which kit you need.

As said, we got a 70ah Halfords one in under the drivers seat. Anything bigger won’t fit.

Not sure if all Transits have the battery under the seat though.

Yes cheers colm, I havent even started yet with it...even to see where battery is...
    All iv done so far is bought a 2.5 litre tin of unserbody seal with waxopy...hammerite stuff...
    Thought it better clean underbody and seal it first and foremost...
    Thats the thing about boards,newbies ask alot of answered questions...I looked at your transit job last night...very cool work...
    The back of ths van is already wooded out in tongue groove white deal? Not sure

It would be my idea to use as much stuff(old sink,gas hobetc) as we have lying aound here and the local scrapyard/cafe

So one final(ya right!) Question on batteries...wha product would I need if I wanted a leisure battery in a house to power light,chargers...what would I need to make a socket that could plug in stuff from the battery
    I have a couple battery chargers here already....

Im not fantastic at moment with electrical terminology

Thank you for replying too

Here’s the basics:

Leisure batteries are different to car batteries in that they’re designed to be allowed to be drained right down and charged again.

The alternator from the van engine charges up the van battery and the leisure battery at the same time. Once the alternator stops supplying charge current (when the engine isn’t turned on) a voltage-sensitive relay disconnects the leisure battery from the van’s electrical system, this means you can drain the leisure battery down without affecting the van starting later.

The ideal situation is to have your lighting to be as efficient as possible, so LED lights will draw very little from the battery. For music, I’d recommend using a rechargeable Bluetooth speaker and a phone. Beyond that, you probably won’t be using the leisure battery for much bar charging phones (you could always use a power bank for this instead), running the pump for the sink tap (not a whole lot), or powering a diesel heater or fan.

If you want to run 230v AC stuff like in your house, you can buy an inverter. This converts 12v DC to 230v AC. There’s only so much juice in a battery though, so you won’t be running stuff like a microwave or an oven or whatever. For lighting, again 12v LEDs would be the way to go. You can charge laptops etc too, most electronic stuff like a modem would be very light on the battery.

Other ways of charging up the battery include fitting solar panels or an AC/DC battery charger using a 230v power source (campsite/house) - you don’t need these.

Ref the walls in the van, I’d recommend pulling everything out including floor, as there will be rust, there’s no two ways about it.

Jesus,I dont think this van is gonna get that treatment..tje back is pretty good for now

Thanks colm, you guys here could collaborate on a ebook if all this stuff...for Irish ppl...whole industry of this stuff going o.

Re halfirds, I don't have a loyalty card..but she gives me trade discount or something the times, think its like 10 percent...iv dunno ..she called it something

Yes phones and lights...do I have to get a motorized pump for the water or can I use what id ideally like,a nice built in water butt holder..

Wer looking at spending as follows

Cvrt 115€ test

Service oils etc 70

Cost possible cvrt repairs if it fails(which im not certain it will) I don't know €

Inside change. 250 but in happy to spend more if it takes cool shape

Repair rust and paintjob. 200. We really like the camo green style. Kind of fitting for travelling...maybe safer too

Window tint film in post too....plus theres a roof window installed too,its sweet for light in back otherwise it could get seriously depressing....

Anotjer note...im not considering any other windows in back....

The processes of changing into camper is where il probably be back along witj electrical stuff...to bug everyone

A simple get away machine is what we want

Tjank yoi

You need windows to classify it as a camper.

Depends on what you’re trying to achieve really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You need windows to classify it as a camper.

Depends on what you’re trying to achieve really.

As far as can remember there is no requirement under the European body type for side windows which is why the Revenue have written 'it is expected' rather than required the insurance company will probably refuse to admit you to the group scheme without them though.

So one cannot have a more blacked out sleeping area...
    Less light the better in sleeping area to me...
    Its a crew cab so it has five large windows already

I dunno...seems rAther unclear to me...so il go read these documents ppl are talking about

But thank you for that all the same autumn

Just as a side note...it seems Till to my brain a little stange why windows are needed in the sleeping compartment

It sounds a little too like an anne frank movie to be honest

Im this age of technology,one could have lcd windows inside with cameras for portholes

Il have to consult outside of boards for this...local authorities on relevent matters cuz I dont want to be rubbin egos around like lamps for my poxy private windows

"If you cant get up the step dubstep all the way"

If it's a crewcab then you already side windows in the middle section. That should suffice.

If it's a crewcab then you already side windows in the middle section. That should suffice.

Will have to check out from the ppl who sign these things

Appreciate info eirhead

• Registered Users Posts: 3 scubaloops

Hi all, looking for some advice!!

We are 60% through a conversion of the Boxer into a camper. We are stuck on the cooker / water side of things. We thought we could use a camping stove for cooking but now realise we need to adhere to this EN 1949 standard. Does anyone know if we have to get a registered gas technician to fit the copper pipping required by the standard or can we do it ourselves, ie will Revenue or the SQI look for a gas technician cert?????

scubaloops wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice!!

We are 60% through a conversion of the Boxer into a camper. We are stuck on the cooker / water side of things. We thought we could use a camping stove for cooking but now realise we need to adhere to this EN 1949 standard. Does anyone know if we have to get a registered gas technician to fit the copper pipping required by the standard or can we do it ourselves, ie will Revenue or the SQI look for a gas technician cert?????

Depends on the insurer!

I did my own gas, but to very exact instructions from my SQI - from the motor caravan club - who then checked it over, and passed it. I don't think the legislation actually exists for the REVENUE to look for a gas cert.

Again, I had a basic campinggaz 907 bottle. It might differ for different bottles/locations etc...

Get yourself over to "Self Build Campervans Ireland" on Facebook.

Advertisement