Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are face masks available at a reasonable price anywhere?

Options
  • 29-02-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

For preventing spread of viruses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

For preventing spread of viruses

The world health org say that only the really expensive ones make any difference. A more effective product is hand sanitiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,525 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

duffmagic wrote: »
    The world health org say that only the really expensive ones make any difference. A more effective product is hand sanitiser.

Soap and warm water even better than sanitizer. Just wash properly and regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

You won't find face masks or hand sanitiser anywhere in Ireland i'm afraid as per usual the masses believe the apocalypse is here and have bought everything as usual. Just wash your hands as said with soap.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The current panic virus can also enter through the eyes. You should corner the market in swimming goggles before BookFace gets wind of this fact!

Also. Don’t panic. Be grand.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

endacl wrote: »
    The current panic virus can also enter through the eyes. You should corner the market in swimming goggles before BookFace gets wind of this fact!

Also. Don’t panic. Be grand.

:)

Only if you touch your eyes with your hand/fingers without washing them.

Is regular soap still available in the shops? If so that's what I would recommend OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

con747 wrote: »
    You won't find face masks or hand sanitiser anywhere in Ireland i'm afraid as per usual the masses believe the apocalypse is here and have bought everything as usual. Just wash your hands as said with soap.

I'm surprised we still have bread and milk on the shelves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dontpanic wrote: »
    I'm surprised we still have bread and milk on the shelves

Has any Irish person ever tried surviving for more than 2 days without bread?
    It would be an interesting experiment but would take someone very brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You may laugh but the face masks aren't to stop you getting infected, they're to prevent you from spreading bodily fluids from coughs, sneezes, spittle etc.

Why do you think surgeons wear them! It's not as though they're operating on people with contagious conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

Spook_ie wrote: »
    You may laugh but the face masks aren't to stop you getting infected, they're to prevent you from spreading bodily fluids from coughs, sneezes, spittle etc.

Why do you think surgeons wear them! It's not as though they're operating on people with contagious conditions.

it would be ideal if people could take this opportunity to learn how to cough and sneeze into a piece of cloth; like a tissue, an elbow, a scarf etc. and not into their hands like I see so many people doing :(:(

Surgeons on the other hand need them for the reasons you've listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

tuxy wrote: »
    Is regular soap still available in the shops? If so that's what I would recommend OP.

Yes unsurprisingly you can't get "hand gels" for love nor money yet the shelves are stocked with soaps.

I think people are giving handgel some magic credentials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Personally I think face masks are a good idea because it would stop you biting nails, pensively putting a finger to your mouth, going hand to mouth for yawning, sneezing etc. We touch our faces so much, that having a mask on when out not only prevents you spreading if you are sick, but also stops you getting infected from hand to mouth contamination.

OP - you can make a decent facemask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Are face masks available at a reasonable price anywhere?

Purchase the facemask from a hardware store, not a pharmacy. Hardware stores have them still in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ibrahimovic

tuxy wrote: »
    Has any Irish person ever tried surviving for more than 2 days without bread?
    It would be an interesting experiment but would take someone very brave.

1/4 of the population of the country is not irish

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

I was offered a box of 50 disposable facemasks for 28£ if I was to buy a couple of boxes I dont know if that's good value, over priced , from what I understand the Irish pharmacies where charing up to 150€ for a box of 50 last week, absolutely out gragious

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

If you have access to a sewing machine you can make a mask using old cotton t-shirt. Does 70% of the job apparently - better than nothing and better than the cheap paper disposables. Stops you 'spraying while saying' and can be washed and re-used. Or wear a scarf. Soap and warm or cold water is better than hand sanitiser which should only be used when running water is not available. Also, you can make your own sanitiser by mixing isopropyl aclohol (pharamacy or elsewhere) with a hand gel like aloe vera or something. Cheap vodka/poitin might even work if its srtrong enough and is probably cheaper than hand sanitiser at this stage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Setanter

Box of 50 now €45
    www.pharmacy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Lidl had loads in Stillorgan today.
    Box of 50 at €43 odd, which is cost price according to the tag.
    Just before someone had gone into the Pure pharmacy beside it which is
    normally cheap and she quoted €1.75 per face mask to the person looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

JTMan wrote: »
    Purchase the facemask from a hardware store, not a pharmacy. Hardware stores have them still in stock.

No good at all
    Those are dust masks and let bodily fluids from coughs, sneezes, spittle etc go trough it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I bought 20 disposables for €10 on amazon. Boxes of 50 work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Setanter

Reduced again on www.pharmacy.ie
    Now €35 per box of 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

One of my pals bought a half face respirator yesterday for around 30 quid in some welding supplies place in Dublin, its a 3M brand.
    You can buy various different screw on cartridge filters for it from 5 to 50 euro.

Much better than any soft face mask and it's not big at all so you won't look like Bain from batman haha

Then again he's a tradesman with asthma so he's bought it for that but it's a reusable mask and I've checked and the filters that are 7 euro for 2 can be bought cheap enough online and are better than N95 specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

If you are very stuck this looks very doable and end product is suitable for general use.

https://mobile.twitter.com/donalscannell/status/1259804672455557120

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Was in boots earlier today and they had a bundle of about 20 or 30 for €15 at the pharmacy counter

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Lidl and dealz are both selling them in bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

I saw boxes of 50 selling in Euro Giant for €40 last week. That's not bad really.

Advertisement