Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think that anyone specifically insists. I think it's a habit formed by many years of the press indulging him and presenting him as some sort of comic relief figure. I specifically refer to him as "Johnson". "Boris" is a character played by Alexander in order to pass himself off as both unique and fun for personal, political gain. The press run with it because he gets clicks. The producer of Have I Got News for You said having him on it was a colossal mistake.

Johnson himself blew his gains by supporting Brexit. Had he backed Remain, he could have built himself up a serious support base as the next Kenneth Clarke, the Tory that it's ok to like. Now, he has shown his true colours and we see him mired in scandal after scandal. It's always surprised me that someone who masquerades as a historian has such a short termist view of his own legacy.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The alternative was a collective of middle class activists who hated everyone from Jews to Labour voters, the wider working class, English people, each other.

Who developed a manifesto of bizarre ideology driven policies, which were often contradictory and where everyone got to throw some idea in to the final version.

Labour delivered it to Johnson.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And while the Scottish Tories are generally a political irrelevance anywhere north of the border (open to correction, WRT local councils etc.), contempt emanating from someone that emblematic of all those English Exceptionalism tropes, Reese-Mogg, will only drive more Scots away from both the Scottish Conservatives and the UK, broadly-speaking. The smell of "know your place" coming off JRM would be nauseating if it wasn't so typical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't dismiss them as irrelevant, at least not too soon. The thing is, the SNP have hoovered up the centre-left vote and with FPTP, that won't change as a vote for Labour weakens the SNP. Paradoxically, the only place for Unionists to go is to the party which has done more to undermine the union than centuries of armed revolts put together.

So, yeah. It's usually the left that engages in destructive internecine conflict. How odd to see it on the right.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Johnson's planned trip to a vaccination centre today has been cancelled due to an unspecified family member having Covid.

Reeks of opportunism. 'Look! He's following guidelines' while he conveniently avoids having to face the public for the time being, as the BBC point out:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-59977092

"As we've been reporting, the prime minister has cancelled a planned visit to Lancashire because a family member has tested positive for Covid.

[...]

On visits such as this politicians often do a short interview with one broadcaster on behalf of the media - and the prime minister would most likely have faced some difficult questions about the lockdown drinks party at Downing Street."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Irrelevant purely in the sense that, as far as I understand Scottish politics (which ain't deep), they have little voice in Scottish politics where it counts. As you say, they still represent a definitive Unionist voice in the conversation - though obviously not appetising enough to the ~50% shy of independence to bolster their Hollyrood presence (of course, that assumes that group to be monolithic, which it never would be anyway).

But it's just so hard to ignore the ... dripping contempt from someone like Reese-Mogg, even if it's born from political alliances. The optics are terrible, especially in light of the supposed "love bomb" strategies aimed at Scotland in general. It just further speaks to a distance between Whitehall and Hollyrood.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Most of the current cabinet know that when Boris loses his job they lose theirs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

He has enough children that statistically one of them is bound to have Covid.

Ironically enough, Scotland's PR system does boost them in Holyrood while they'll be leaning heavily on the Unionist vote for Westminster. The latter obviously offers a very weak return on investment since Ruth Davidson jumped ship. However, they are the second largest party in the Scottish Parliament so I wouldn't call them irrelevant.

The contempt from Rees-Mogg is quite remarkable. It betrays his abject prostration before Johnson and complete lack of concern for either the party, the Union or the nation. It's all about clinging to power and shutting down dissent.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but it's highly unlikely he is ever spends enough time with them to be a contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,179 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The photo ops at the vaccination centres have to stop anyway. Imagine how embarassing it is for the staff and the public having that smirking man (and his entourage) sitting there whilst you get a jag

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd say he has no trouble being socially distant from his children.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Except that he isn't following current NHS guidelines.

If you live with or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19, you will not need to self-isolate if any of the following apply:

• you're fully vaccinated – this means 14 days have passed since your final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

The bizarre thing with Boris supposed charisma is that it rarely seems to stand up to scrutiny. When he was elected Tory leader the common report from a few meetings where he and Jeremy Hunt were making their pitch, the general reporting after each one was, people were way more impressed with Hunt, but were still going to vote for Boris, it was bizarre.

Boris appeared to embrace the greatest gift of a politician, no morals and leaves everyone believing that Boris believed in the same things as them, whereas he believes in nothing other than his next opportunity.

I was gonna make a Charlie/Bertie joke out of the last paragraph but at least those 2 can point to some success despite their reputation.

Does Johnson actually have a single achievement or major policy win ?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

There was a good remark in the Guardian today, the new MP's from the last election who are demanding money for levelling up to get them re-elected and the hard right who want the opposite. Boris cleared out the middle ground the people who would have helped close the gap between the wings. Handing the party over to UKIP is coming back to haunt him. The ERG won't allow him bring in any green policies.

They have forgotten all the things they learned during the Blair years that led to the creation of seemingly middle ground anti nasty party electable Cameron.

Johnson is essentially the Tory Corbyn in the sense that he is absolutely every stereotype and cartoon caricature that exists in relation to his party

The Erg are a small clique in the party. Let's not make them out as bigger than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He should be gone, but I've never been surprised at the depths the Tories will sink to to keep the show on the road. Politics is about timing. They won't do anything that they don't have to do unless it's in their own interests

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Telegraph of all outlets is going hard on a story about a party around the time of Philips funeral.

When you've lost the Telegraph....

• Advertisement

This is hilarious. His government advise is thing people to go to work even if they're close contacts, but Johnson himself is canceling public appearances because he claims he's a close contact

He got brexit done.

He won an election with the greatest ever oven ready deal with the EU, (that he then spent the last 2 years furiously backpeddaling on)

They were definitely wagging the dog for a lot of the past 5 years

Others shouldn't over estimate them and I shouldn't underestimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not one but two parties in very quick succession.

Seems like we're only beginning to hear about the 'culture' at Downing Street. Johnson and Carrie like Jay Gatsby and Marie Antoinette and constant booze ups being the norm.

Any organised voting bloc inside the party can be kingmakers, they are very influential where the party is evenly split because their votes can be bought for a price

• Registered Users Posts: 54,180 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My god this story is just getting better and better.

Tomorrows Telegraph reporting another party was held at No10 as her Majesty mourned

Another boozy party that went on into the early hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 54,180 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bloody hell

This is just brilliant political drama, I **** love this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭maebee

Just heard John Craig on Sky News talking about it. I think that this will definitely finish BoJo.

Advertisement