Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Those same circles would include those in poverty as being extreme left.

Perhaps, even those who went to a comprehensive school would also be extreme left. Only those who went to Eton are OK in those circles. [Other such schools might be OK as well.]

Unions do a lot more than just look for endless pay rises and threaten strikes if their demands are not met.

The leaders of industries, on the other hand, just have a quiet word. in private, with their friends in Gov, and achieve exactly what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Don't forget those dastardly middle class activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The inner London elite that the City of London investment banker with the EU wife Farage warned us about.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,180 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The UK are really hitting the bottom of the barrel

No 10 to set out sweeping plans to override power of Europe’s human rights court

We are really in silly childish "start our own court with blackjack and hookers" territory now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's worse than that. They're doing real and lasting damage to the British constitution and all to compensate for their own corruption, greed and incompetence.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

What British constitution ?

Surely that's been the real glaring problem since Johnson took over. Magna Carta + some gentlemens agreements + historic best practice was always open to abuse from someone dodgy enough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Let's call a spade a spade here: The Tory government is trying to slow-walk the country into a quasi-authoritarian regime. And what's the justification?

The abolition of the Human Rights Act (HRA), including reducing the influence of the European court of human rights (ECHR), will be introduced before parliament on Wednesday in what the government described as a restatement of Britain’s sovereignty

But of course it's "sovereignty". Translation: we want the right to bypass Human Rights when it suits us; and if you don't like it, you can protest peacefully. Oh sorry, my assistant tells me we're trying to remove that right as well. Well. There's always Twitter. For now.

I wonder how many steps a government like this has to go until, for the public's safety, consistency of governance etc etc, the term of a government is slowly increased.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The British, ie the English constitution which is a patchwork of laws, Acts of Parliament, royal decrees and conventions which have accumulated over centuries. The term "Constitution" doesn't exclusively refer to a specific document such as the Irish constitution.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Raab is one of the thickest planks in this Gov platform. He is the one who never read the GFA when it was central to his brief as Brexit Secretary. - all 34 pages of it.

I wonder if he knows the history of the ECtHR and its founding by British lawyers after WW II - and its intention to prevent authoritarian rule returning to Europe - of course not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say he may well be aware of Britain's role in the ECHR - I just don't think he cares. Oh, there'd be something about it being 80 years ago, times having changed - all that kind of hand-waving guff. What it comes down to, as always, is power & the preservation of it for you and your friends. Give it another few years of this lot and the EU will be buttressed by two so-called Potemkin democracies with Russia and the UK.

I know some might be rolling their eyes at my hyperbole - I can think of one or two specific users n' all - but I do genuinely believe this crop of Tories want to harden everything into nothing more than a facade of democracy.

The voting system, already rigged in favour of the Tories, is being further moved to favour them further with Wales losing MPs in favour of England. FPTP is already undemocratic, given the preponderance of safe seats.

So democracy is already under threat, before any of these moves.

Raab is a former human rights lawyer and the son of a Jewish Czech refugee. He's not cut from the same old Etonian cloth as most Tories which makes his dedication and venality somewhat surprising. Perhaps it's as banal as having no principles beyond material and political gain.

H. H. Asquith

Every law case has lawyers on both sides of the argument - one proposing and one denying.

Was he a Human Rights Lawyer opposed to Human Right, by any chance?

Anyway, he is astonishingly thick.

I'm not praising him. I just think it's worth taking a moment to note his background. He's also co-author of the odious Britannia Unchained which claimed that British workers are lazy. Truss and Patel are also co-authors.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lindsay Hoyle is so poor as speaker.

Just watching 90 seconds of PMQ there - a direct question is asked (did you try to get Carrie a job, Yes/No?), Johnson replies with some tangential spiel about creating 620K new jobs. Speaker lets it go and moves onto the next question. Surely Hoyle can intervene and say that the question hasn't been answered?

It's just pointless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I seem to recall John Major in an interview some years ago saying that PMQ's is all about answering a question you weren't asked.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It says a lot about the position UK politics finds itself in when one looks back at the likes of John Major with a degree of fondness. Christ, Maggie Thatcher feels like a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tories really being kicked around by the Mick Lynch from the train union today even though every major outlet seemed to be gunning for him.

Also dont forget the tory backbencher who posted this....

Is that a current Tory MP blaming Labour for the strike ?

• Advertisement

Yep. Completely tone deaf.

I think we've entered the age of Schrodinger's Labour party which is all powerful and tyrannical while being too feeble to run the country.

H. H. Asquith

It absolutely is, irony and satire no longer exist when it comes to the tory party.

I doubt its even that, far more likey its simply "hurr durr unions striking = labour bad"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Seems to be the tactic being applied by the Tories at the moment. The big question will be if it's working. You'd hope not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's come back to me now. What he said was more along the lines of you try every way possible to avoid answering a question and when all else fails you answer a question you weren't asked. And that appears to be what Armani described above re Lindsay Hoyle.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is the talking point that has been given to Tory MPs. It is the strategy that CCHQ/Government has adopted.

I think it reflects accurately their general competence.

Ancapailldorcha mentioned Brittanica Unchained and it's been on my mind. When you think of where the authors have ended up in Cabinet, along with Brexit itself, the unwillingness to sign up to regulations, and now the human rights stuff. It's all very ugly.

It's galling that the right to protest a doctor's Do Not Resuscitate order is being removed. Did they see how effective it was during Covid and see it as a useful tool when the NHS becomes more private?

If I put on my conspiracy hat, I'd be forgiven for thinking the Rwanda flights were the perfect fight to pick with the ECHR. It's hard to go against a human rights court, but if you know your base is for these types of flights, then it works.

"The book is written by Kwasi Kwarteng, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Chris Skidmore and Elizabeth Truss."

"The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music."

Do their supporters know what it is they're actually supporting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@[Deleted User]

If I put on my conspiracy hat, I'd be forgiven for thinking the Rwanda flights were the perfect fight to pick with the ECHR. It's hard to go against a human rights court, but if you know your base is for these types of flights, then it works.

The FT quite nicely summed it all up as vice-signalling. And it ain't new.

Advertisement