Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ah yes the monarch is the head. My mistake!

She was visited yesterday in her position as head of state rather than in her religious capacity which is why I confused what the poster was talking about.

Britain is no different to other large European countries with former colonies in that respect - very patriotic. I wouldn't compare the situation to America where religion is so dominant. The current US president makes reference to God all the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Actually the UK could not be more different to the rest of Europe constitutionally, yet another one of your mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Have you considered that he's been at cabinet for 12 years because successive leaders have had confidence in him to do a competent job of it? On the topic of Brexit he typically looks like a bastion of common sense when compared to the characters that he has had to deal with from the UK side.

If you're advocating some kind of term limits then that's another conversation altogether but Liz Truss would be one of the first victims of any such rules, given her longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The British tabloids have been known to stoop to very low levels for a story including invasion of privacy. They do so because they know there is a big market for "juicy gossip". The same tabloids are assumed to have certain political allegiances and often take very different stances depending on the people involved (i.e. Johnson participating in numerous Lockdown parties v Starmer eating a curry one evening). I wonder how Rayner would be treated if she had affairs like Truss has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm not sure if this was oicked up on but I was listening to an iterview with Theresa Coffey the new health minister on BBC radio. At one stage she talked about the important practitioners within the NHS particularly primary care. She name checked GPs and chiropractors.

I'n not joking she thinks Chiropractors are an important bpart of the NHS.

The interviewer did not pick up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, being a chiropractor is back breaking work.

Incidentally, we have no legislation in Ireland dealing with chiropractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

We have very little regulation of a lot of medical professions, including mental health. Irish standards viz. UK or US are laughably low.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Could you elaborate on where our supervision of the medical professions is lacking.

Working hours of non-consultant doctors is a disgrace and contra to the working hours directive.

In the US, you need at least a Master's degree in a related field to do mental health therapy. Most States require a PhD nowadays.

In Ireland, you can take a class and hang out a shingle. That's for starters.

Further, the ability to review therapists or medical professionals by their patients, is protected in the US. You can read websites where patients have shared their experiences. This is all protected by the 1st amendment. Ireland? No chance.

And, in most states, if you raise a complaint against a medical professional, it's reviewed by organizations independent of the organization for which the person works. In Ireland, the entire process is handled within the HSE. The phrase 'regulatory capture' jumps to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

It wasn't down to a correct or incorrect judgement by the British or Irish governments. It was put to a public vote here because it required a constitutional amendment and amendments to the Constitution of Ireland are only possible by way of referendum. Britain don't have a written constitution, so they don't need a referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

New Levelling Up Secretary Simon Clarke lists in detail how the Tories have succesfully helped the poor & vulnerable through improved living standards, etc...

I was talking about supervision of medical professionals. Their qualifications are supervised by the appropriate medical professional body.

The HSE does not supervise their professional behaviour, that is done by the professional bodies in the same way the legal profession bodies do. The HSE only works with the public health system, not the private health.

Medical professionals here do not use shingles to advertise their presence. You appear to know a lot more about the health system in the USA that the way it operates here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭Christy42

It seems like a change in tone. In the US and the UK the right has at least tended to state that they were on the side of the poor. Truss has been far more open about supporting the rich and big multinational companies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Johnson felt the need to appeal to the economically abandoned areas such as the red wall. Truss seems to feel that such a veneer is unnecessary and has largely discarded it.

I think that the party now feels invincible and can't be bothered maintaining any sort of facade at this point. Dangerous if they win again I think.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 45,578 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Queen is in a poor way according to news reports. Unusual for them to publicize that. Statements coming in across the political spectrum about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't travel back to Buckingham; been a sequence of health issues, but she's 96 and even with the eye-watering access to medical treatments, there's only so much that can be done at this stage. You'd have to wonder if it's down to weeks now 'til Charles/William step up.

And as cynical as it is to say, watch Elizabeth's death used for political gain; anything even resembling interrogation of the government's actions, shot down with over-zealous jinogism. It'll be like Princess Diana on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

All her children are with her at Balmoral so it's entirely possible this indeed are her final moments; you can't predict when it'll happen, but there's often a sense when death is at least close.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

To move it back onto politics for a second, it is probably fortuitous that Elizabeth's imminent passing didn't happen whilst that Johnson individual was still PM - it would have made for horrendous viewing.

I wonder if this unfortunate event could help with UK-Ireland and UK-EU relations? There was already a lot of very diplomatic stuff going on in the last few days with the likes of the Taoiseach and Coveney and EU politicians wishing Liz Truss well on social media and talking about the desire for good working relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm far from a royalist, in fact abolishing the monarchy would be an excellent next step but can't help but feel a bit sad for her kids. Ultimate privilege or not, it's hard to lose your Mum or Granny, whatever age they get to.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭Christy42

I suspect it will be pretty quickly used and abused. Truss will try and get through a rake of measures quickly and any disagreement will be shot down as politicizing the climate just after the Queen's death.

I mean agreed. You don't need to feel like that someone needs to be Queen to be sad at their passing. I think the monarchy is a silly system but that does not mean I want the people involved dead.

if you raise a complaint against a medical professional in Ireland, it's adjudicated by the HSE (personal experience here bears me out.) Further, the fact that mental health professionals are *not also* medical professionals is concerning; in the US (where I'm from, US expat in Ireland), most mental health professionals like psychiatrists have medical degrees and the states have boards that oversee them. Anyway, this is the UK politics thread not Ireland health care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. There's be the usual diplomatic moves when a head of state dies and that's it. Business is business at the end of the day.

Johnson may no longer occupy office but the Conservatives will milk this for all that it's worth. It's going to be disgusting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The big question about Elizabeth dying is she always chose to completely remove herself from politics and never interfere even when it may have been constitutionally allowed, will Charles take the same attitude? I dont think he will go completely the other direction but also doubt he will keep himself as removed as his mother has done which considering the tories playbook the last 3 years may be an issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭rock22

I do not want to be complicit in hijacking this thread , but you are so wrong in this that, for the sake of anyone else reading i have to reply

These bodies regulate health professionals in Ireland

https://www.nmbi.ie/Home

https://medicalcouncil.ie/

https://www.coru.ie/

You really should not post about something you clearly know nothing about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

It also means there will now be absolutely zero scrutiny of any of Liz Truss's initial policies or actions when it comes to the energy crisis or anything else. There's always the chance it could back fire, the theatrics of national mourning amid pomp and grandeur can only distract people who can't afford heat or food for so long.

I think any attempt by Truss to try and hide bad news on a 'big news day' would likely backfire spectacularly.

It is one thing to try and slip a dodgy story like an unflattering report on illegal parties in No 10, but hiding unhelpful energy stories that will affect everybody - especially the poverty stricken - will be seen as shoddy and blatant trickery worthy only of a shameless charlatan like her predecessor.

She would not get away with it. Her support base, even in her own party, is vanishingly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,578 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's been confirmed that she's died.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well there it is, end of an era

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,699 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm glad I don't still live there. This is gonna get sycophantic and ridiculous.

Advertisement