Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Or what someone might say about a racist.

Not all racists have white faces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

An odd comment given that you've gone on repeated crusades here trying to convince all of us that all English people are racists.

Feel free to elaborate though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't get the impression that Thatcher was the sort to suffer fools. While I'm no expert, I get the impression that she was something of a workaholic and pursued her goals doggedly. This lot are obsessed with getting elected and pushing agendas from shadowy think tanks and not much else. No vision, no future, nothing to believe in whatsoever. It'll cost them dearly and they know it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I imagine she wouldn't suffer these fools either. She could use them as useful idiot yes people but mostly I would say being in the same room as them would do her head in.

They're not even useful idiots though, with the potential exception of Braverman who's implementing policies designed to exclude people like her parents. Any talent fled en masse during Johnson's purge leaving these dregs.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I never once said this. You've made that up as usual.

Well again we have this issue of non white people having the audacity to have strict views on immigration.

It looks like white do gooder people aren't in favour of non white people having these views. It seems like a touch of racism to me.

Second generation immigrants should shut their mouth and follow what white do gooders say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A racist is a racist because of their views, not because of any other issue.

You mention 'white' and 'non-white' people - this is putting people into racial categories. Does that not expand the issue of racism?

Why not talk about 'tall' people and 'height challenged' people?

You've missed my point.

And it's been mentioned lots of times about second and third generation immigrants and that they should be grateful etc etc.

I just don't get this opinion. Second and third generation immigrants are entitled to have any view they want to. I don't see them as any different to anyone else.

So just another snide comment.

Yes, you have on multiple occasions stated that all English people are racist. I'm not going to go down yet another one of your tangents. You've childishly called me a racist with no explanation or elaboration whatsoever simply because I called out the UK government's racism.

There's not an ounce of sincerity or honesty here.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Since you've no interest in making any sort of effort as usual, let's leave it there.

H. H. Asquith

Quote: Second and third generation immigrants are entitled to have any view they want to.

No, they are allowed to have racist views - but not to express them. Racism is a cancer in society, and should be expunged. The fact that someone is an immigrant, descended from an immigrant, or any one else does not change their obligation to avoid expressing a racist view - and particularly a Gov Minister from implementing racist policies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh we're back to the whole "2nd+ generation immigrants can't be racist" angle again? Jesus this distraction is beyond boring at this stage; people can ye not just ignore the user's broken record for once? More fool ye TBH.

Shouldn't be long 'til Kermit returns to tell us how this time, Ireland is about to be turfed out of the Single Market.

Having strict views on immigration doesn't equal racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Regardless of that, do you not think her choice of language was odd/dog whistle-y? Dreaming of deportation flights? Just really weird imo.

Labour hopping on board with the general vibe though, Rachel Reeves (further right than most one nation Conservatives imo) doesn't think they're deporting them fast enough.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

What's wrong with deporting people?

Labour only reflecting general public mood in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This was one of many home truths made by the former editor of The Sun in this fascinating interview:

He's equally scathing about the standard of most of the political journalists these days. Well worth the 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

You have chosen not to answer th question I asked. I'll try again, whether you think there's anything wrong with deporting people or not, do you think "dreaming" of deportation is a normal way to express this idea, for anyone, and more particularly for a "mainstream" politician or statesperson?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Ffs we have this asylum bll sht across 2 threads.

Why can't the people who are saying it's a distraction stop responding and therefore feeding the distraction.

• Advertisement

Well it looks like they're saying the Rwanda thing to tackle the Calais problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see Truss used the phrase "anti-growth coalition" a half dozen times in her speech. Clearly the work of someone very pleased with what they think was a catchy zinger in their head.

I'm still at a loss at what it's supposed to mean; I get the vague intention but it's like calling the other side the "anti-fun coalition": it's just so infantile and meaningless at the same time, it almost defies analysis. Yet here is where the UK's Politics sits.

Political speeches aren't known for detail but even by those low standards it was piffle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume it is an attempt to create another phrase to belittle anyone who holds a different opinion, in the same way that people who opposed Brexit were termed "remoaners".

If their policies had any merit, they wouldn't need to resort to cheap insults.

True. Just in a viral sense it's a terrible phrase; at least "remoaners" was succinct and a simple re-jig of an existing term during a deeply abstracted concept such as Brexit. "Anti growth coalition" is just so utterly daft, it's bordering on "Quiet batpeople"* levels of contrived wit. And I use the term "wit" very loosely. Oh those Labour, SNP politicians, they just hate growth so much. Snort.

[*] The Thick of It.

The Economist have been running a series of articles on the UK's growth problem. They highlight issues like the cost of housing, infrastructure and productivity. They also did an excellent briefing on the Oxford-London-Cambridge "Golden Triangle" which is worth the read if anyone's interested.

None of these issues have been addressed by the Tories. Indeed, decades of neoliberal policies which began under Thatcher are probably the root cause.

If the government was serious about creating growth, it needs to realise that serious investment is needed but more than that, the UK needs to rejoin the single market.

Of course, it isn't serious. These are just meaningless canards trotted out to placate a friendly media and the membership.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Brexit is the single biggest drag on growth. While of course, you can argue that sovereignty is worth it, you cannot claim to be doing everything you can for growth while also refusing to admit that Brexit is harming that very ideal and should at the very least be looked at in terms of much closer alignment.

Didn’t she say the opposite…..that she’d remove every EU rule from UK law by a certain point? Can’t remember when….end of next year maybe

while at the same time joining this new EU community group that macron has set up (meeting today I think)

it’s clear that Tory leadership still can’t define brexit, what it means and what is the intent

Brexit was nothing to do with sovereignty and everything to do with an unscrupulous elite consolidating power and enriching the Crispin Odeys of this world. Since we have a Brexit thread, I don't want to derail this one but the prophesising of the British public realising that they've been sold a pup is pointless. People are either happy or they've made their peace with it.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That is all very true, but the argument from Brexiteers has been, well after the unicorns were never located, that the negatives from Brexit were worth it due to sovereignty. Sovereignty became the catch-all to wipe out any other argument.

But now they run into a problem. Truss has made Growth the very definition of who she is and what is the government is going to deliver. But they are continuing on with the policy that is the single biggest drag on that.

At what point, when growth isn't being achieved, will someone pipe up and start to mention that maybe Brexit is a source of many of the problems?

Advertisement