Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Suppose it makes a change from murdoch calling all the shots - he's busy running a mile from the donald at the moment. Sad thing is, though, while i never agreed with it, telegraph once at least had a bit of integrity and intellectual heft, when you consider the likes of Max Hastings and Charles Moore. Now, it's just pure spin and nonsense, like the columnist i heard on the BBC yesterday regurgitating the eu always blink at the last minute line. Oborne leaving was pretty much the last straw for it, I'd say.

Agreed. It did have credibility at one stage. Mind you, some of Moore's articles these days are quite simply laughable. It's like they are letting him write articles for old times' sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Agreed. It did have credibility at one stage. Mind you, some of Moore's articles these days are quite simply laughable. It's like they are letting him write articles for old times' sake.
    the Mail went the same -
    all are now just useless for even outdoor privy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boris Johnson self isolating having come into contact with a carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Boris Johnson self isolating having come into contact with a carrier.

Very handy that just when he might have to answer questions about the Cummings debacle or what if any decisions he will make about the negotiations on the possible EU-U.K. FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

View wrote: »
    Very handy that just when he might have to answer questions about the Cummings debacle or what if any decisions he will make about the negotiations on the possible EU-U.K. FTA.

And avoid answering if Carrie Symonds is now running the country. I mean what a shambles of a PM this man is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

dogbert27 wrote: »
    And avoid answering if Carrie Symonds is now running the country. I mean what a shambles of a PM this man is.

Such a mess but it was obvious it was going to be. Even lots of his voters I think knew it deep down but had to vote to "get Brexit done"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Didnt' Theresa May fire Priti Patel for lying about meeting with the Israelis ( yep, just checked, on that occasion she lied to Boris as well he was foreign secretary at the time .... seems to think the rules dont apply to her )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

trellheim wrote: »
    Didnt' Theresa May fire Priti Patel for lying about meeting with the Israelis ( yep, just checked, on that occasion she lied to Boris as well he was foreign secretary at the time .... seems to think the rules dont apply to her )

It will be interesting to see her performance while being grilled by a barrister under oath at an unfair dismissal tribunal. Rules about perjury will have serious consequences for her in that instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

Strazdas wrote: »
    Apparently even some Conservative MPs are disgusted by the affair. They know full well that what Patel did was a sackable offence and that she should have been fired on the spot.

Cummings was very unpopular with the ERG; Patel is very popular with the rank and file of the party, he couldn’t sack her and do a deal with Europe that the ERG didn’t support inside a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Nody wrote: »
    Makes no real difference; Tory party hated Cummings and think it was Cummings who made Boris act so poorly as PM (it was not but always good to have someone to blame). Now that Cummings is gone they believe they will get Super Boris back and it's land of unicorns and honey. Now take in Brexit, Covid restrictions over Christmas and New Year and the fall out come Jan 1st. I'd say he's gone and that fits him as well. He'll get to say "I did Brexit, I was the PM" and he's back to writing fantasy articles in the Telgraph etc. and make more money so he can afford more staff again.
    Or pay off more mistresses

Edit: he's not actually married yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Strazdas wrote: »
    Apparently even some Conservative MPs are disgusted by the affair. They know full well that what Patel did was a sackable offence and that she should have been fired on the spot.

I've kinda been checked out of all this stuff recently... But what did that odious Patel do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Enzokk

lawred2 wrote: »
    I've kinda been checked out of all this stuff recently... But what did that odious Patel do now?

Found to have bullied civil servants but Johnson says he thinks she did it inadvertently so he hasn't sacked her. This despite the top civil servant at the Home Office during her time there confirming that this was not inadvertent and that he warned her within her first month to stop shouting and swearing at staff.

https://twitter.com/alantravis40/status/1329853377094840331?s=20

He is taking them to tribunal as he feels he was constructively dismissed due to her actions. The joke is this has been leaked during anti-bullying week and the person that wrote the report for the PM quit in the aftermath as the PM didn't sack her for breaking ministerial code.

Patel had this to say about bullying in 2019 as well.

https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1110846084098768897?s=20

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Busy week for Labour.

Doing their damnedest to keep any bad news about the Tories getting into the headlines. One is reminded that an anagram of Tony Blair MP is I'm Tory Plan B. This time it's the guy who didn't protect his voters from economic chaos is being let back in.

In case you missed it JRM is restricting remote access to parliament these days.
    MPs with cancer 'excluded' from cancer debate
    Currently, MPs who cannot be in Westminster due to coronavirus are only able to take part in some events.

They can put questions to ministers by video link, but are not able to contribute to general debates on legislation or events in Westminster Hall - a separate chamber from the House of Commons.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/jacob-rees-mogg-virtual-parliament-6353496
    on the day that the prime minister was forced to self-isolate alongside a series of Tory MPs, the Commons leader resisted demands to extend the virtual participation of MPs to those living with someone in the vulnerable category.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boris asked Sir Alex to make report on pretty petty Priti Patel pretty palatable.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55026137

The UK system is honour based. This whole Brexit mess has shown how that doesn't work so well with those who do not feel honour bound while those with honour have resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    Look at the recent green new deal that they'll probably just forget about when convenient aswell:
    https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1329134222242672641
    That didnt take long:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55020558

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

excellent time for Labour to have another mini civil war over leadership. :rolleyes:

The Tories must be pissing themselves laughing, no matter how bad their leadership , Labour always bail them out somewhat by their incompetence.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    excellent time for Labour to have another mini civil war over leadership. :rolleyes:

The Tories must be pissing themselves laughing, no matter how bad their leadership , Labour always bail them out somewhat by their incompetence.

A lot of the big issues not breaking the way of traditional party lines and it has Fed both of them to be honest. Once the next election comes round and assuming Brexit and Covid are done by then the SNP will clean up in Scotland and LibDems if they get their stuff together should come back. Greens and whatever Farage has morphed into by then will both increase vote share. Plaid Cymru might be the only small party in trouble as they seem a bit left for Brexit voting Wales. NI will continue to be NI

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Plaid Cymru might be the only small party in trouble as they seem a bit left for Brexit voting Wales. NI will continue to be NI

533868.jpg

Wales can be divided into three regions. British Wales , Welsh Wales and Y Fro Gymraeg. They don't quite match the voting results. But it's near enough.

Plaid have 4 seats out of 40. And they are all in Y Fro Gymraeg, the west coast 'Gealtacht'

300px-Dec2019WalesConstituencies.png
    Votes in 2019 GE

533868.jpg

Wales can be divided into three regions. British Wales , Welsh Wales and Y Fro Gymraeg. They don't quite match the voting results. But it's near enough.

Plaid have 4 seats out of 40. And they are all in Y Fro Gymraeg, the west coast 'Gealtacht'

300px-Dec2019WalesConstituencies.png
    Votes in 2019 GE

That's really interesting thanks for that. I didn't even realize Wales had that many seats and I also thought the population and seats was the same as NI

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

"Car crime, burglary and shoplifting are all lower than the same time last year."

Priti Patel

How they can say this with a straight face is outstanding. Another 3 and a half years of this..

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That's really interesting thanks for that. I didn't even realize Wales had that many seats and I also thought the population and seats was the same as NI
    This is mostly due to most constituencies having an average population of 60,000, but in declining areas the numbers can be far lower and in growing areas far higher.
    The electoral commission regularly amend the boundaries to try to keep the numbers in each constituency similar across the country.

edit: 56,000 https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/constituencies/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Winters wrote: »
    "Car crime, burglary and shoplifting are all lower than the same time last year."

Priti Patel

How they can say this with a straight face is outstanding. Another 3 and a half years of this..

It must be down to the three hundred thousand, and thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand new bobbies they have on the beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1332278498753392640

They seem to think they can counter the rising support for Scottish independence with flag-waving stunts. I'd expect this sort of stuff from the DUP, but if the Tories are relying on this then they are in even more trouble than I thought.

Besides that, who on earth focuses on a vaccine's design when getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They seem to think they can counter the rising support for Scottish independence with flag-waving stunts. I'd expect this sort of stuff from the DUP, but if the Tories are relying on this then they are in even more trouble than I thought.

I think it goes beyond that. The receiver won't even see the viles just the needle.

So what's the point..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,362 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Putting the Union Jack on the vials is vile. Thanks for the thought Listermint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭eire4

Water John wrote: »
    Putting the Union Jack on the vials is vile. Thanks for the thought Listermint.

Pathetic it truly is pathetic. But that is exactly the kind of vacuous gesture you get from these Tories.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually, the handling of the Covid by each of the 'home nations' has shown the Scottish what it is like to be in command of their own destiny and free from Westminster's dead hand.

I think that can only increase the call for Scottish Independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

There's a scene in the film Europa Europa where the children in a Soviet orphanage are instructed to pray to Stalin, and right on cue sweets start raining down on the children, being dumped from holes in the ceiling.

I see a lot of similarities to the "Union Jack on vaccines" plan; trying to build association between their political idea and something the people want in a very tactless manner. But whereas in the film we see it as disingenuous propaganda within a cult of personality that could only work on children, the Tories seem to believe it's a perfectly good idea that will work on the UK's adult population.

Even thinking about it practically-I've had many vaccines in my life as well as having blood taken, blood donated etc. and couldn't tell you a single detail of what was or wasn't on the vials and syringes....

There's a scene in the film Europa Europa where the children in a Soviet orphanage are instructed to pray to Stalin, and right on cue sweets start raining down on the children, being dumped from holes in the ceiling.

I see a lot of similarities to the "Union Jack on vaccines" plan; trying to build association between their political idea and something the people want in a very tactless manner. But whereas in the film we see it as disingenuous propaganda within a cult of personality that could only work on children, the Tories seem to believe it's a perfectly good idea that will work on the UK's adult population.

Even thinking about it practically-I've had many vaccines in my life as well as having blood taken, blood donated etc. and couldn't tell you a single detail of what was or wasn't on the vials and syringes....

Normal nonsense these days from the land of blue passports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Listening to Sturgeon speech at the start of the SNP conference.

I've always been a big fan of hers and she's knocking it out of the park with her speech and loved the dig at the Tories

Advertisement