Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've to move house on the Sunday. Thanks for that, C.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

I see that the Tories have finally got rid of Andrew Bridgen (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-65402195), so maybe there is a limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Judging by the clips of tonight's Question Time, the Tories are still taking a hammering from the audience on a variety of subjects.

I get the impression that the Daily Mail, the Telegraph and GB News are going on a solo run every time they big them up....there is evidently a lot of anger towards them out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The hilarious thing is it happened weeks ago and nobody noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,404 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nah. He lost the Conservative whip in January, and this was reported at the time. This means that, although a member of the Conservative party, he does not take the whip and sits as an independent MP. What has happened now is that he has been expelled from the party — he is no longer a member of the Conservative party, either nationally or in his local branch, cannot hold office in the party, cannot seek nomination as a Conservative candidate at the next election.

Losing the whip is not uncommon (which is possibly why the report of Bridgen losing the whip last January didn't make waves). It's usually a temporary state of affairs; the whip is restored if/when the party needs the MP's vote, or if the MP is re-elected at the next election, or when the MP just says sorry. Sitting Tory MPs who have lost the whip at one time or another include Conor Burns, Nadine Dorries, Tobias Ellwood and Matt Hancock — and that's just the ones you would have heard of. It's not a big deal.

Expulsion from the party is much rarer, and is permanent (though Bridgen has 21 days to appeal the decision). It's likely that the party moved to expel Bridgen because they think he's about to join another party and sit for them. (Reclaim has been mentioned.)

• Advertisement

It says the expulsion was on April 12th though and it's only being reported now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would say that says a lot about who ever it was that was expelled from the Gov party - in that he is now forgotten.

Oh, right. Presumably that's because the Tory party has only announced it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

From the BBC

The cross-party Commons Standards Committee found Mr Bridgen had breached rules by failing to declare his financial interests in Mere Plantations when writing to ministers about the company.

The Cheshire-based firm had donated money to Mr Bridgen's local party and funded a trip to Ghana.

Following an investigation, the committee concluded the MP had shown a "careless and cavalier" attitude to the rules.

He'd fit in right here, then so.

Coincidentally, it was Bridgen who in 2018 thought everyone in the UK was entitled to an Irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So the not so Sharp one is gone. Another one bites the dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

So all brits are expected to declare an oath to king charlie next week as an 'homage of the people'. Expect it to be worse than the november poppy extremism, "YOU DIDNT OATH HARD ENUFF, GERROUTTTAVARCOUNTRY!!!".

A bit sick that 100m is being spent on this nonsense, getting portraits of the new King to put up in food banks and refusing to pay nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

It is not just British people. I think all commonwealth citizens are being asked to take this oath.

But, in England at least, most people want the monarchy so surely they can have it?

I'm seeing a huge amount of push back on English social media. It doesn't really help that Charles has never been particularly popular with the public.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Charles has never been particularly popular with his own family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know. I would have thought that they'd be trying to tone down the archaic elements of the thing that are visible without being ostentatious. I've a bit of a weakness for the ceremonial but having people take oaths in public isn't going to help build support among the young. They need to be doing that now I think.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So all brits are expected to declare an oath to king charlie next week

Ah, they're really, really not. The exact wording is "All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say together:", there is no expectation of involvement. Its still a bit silly, but its a fairly soft request.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The idea of any royal family existing in this era is abhorrent. Throw them in a council flat and stop this performative nonsense and deference to a family with no discernible difference beyond that a long time ago they had the most money or biggest swords to say "I am the king, do as I say".

Whilst stopping short at building republicanism, the coronation has thrown into stark relief the folly of funding a monarchy during a crippling economic crisis. there's definitely a resting irritation towards the family.

That you see the right wing press now trying to bemoan attempts to remind of the monarchy's links with slavery as "woke", also says much about the demographics most invested in this Germanic family.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It may be worded as such, but you can guarantee that those who refuse to show deference, or protest loudly against it will get it with both barrels - wokey, lefty, communist, eu-loving, republicans etc. More grist to the mill for the mail, express etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭PommieBast

You might like The Queen And I.. :)

Charles has done some slimming down but the coronation to me seems to be one thing the traditionalists are calling the shots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sure, but performative outrage merchants will always find something to be outraged about. I'm a firm republican, but from the perspective of the royal family themselves its a fairly milquetoast request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

At least you can't be identified and targeted for not doing it like with the poppy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For the right wing and ethno nationalists, the coronation will be a useful distraction from economic reality, coupled with a convenient excuse to dogpile and attack anyone not suitably patriotic, or excessively leftie. Or not white enough. As I said the right-wing rags are already trying to label Charles as woke for even mentioning historical connections to slavery.

The right wing rags are correct to be suspicious of him. He clearly has left wing tendencies and would probably be a Green Party voter if he had his way. It's a bit of a dilemma for the Tory UKIP types....they love the English nationalist element of worshipping the monarchy but don't like Charles as a person and don't trust him. It's noticeable how muted they are about the coming Coronation.

They can't even hope that he abdicates to his brother like the last kings did. Although there are a group of people you find online (including Boards) who defend the child sex enthusiast quicker than the potential green voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

In that case one has to start questioning the reasoning of the electorate to some degree...

There must be a cohort with just about single digit braincells between them....

How JRM et al are still walking around in public without nervously looking over their collective shoulders after what they are responsible for never ceases to amaze me.......

Mogg is just the Healy-Rae of his constituency. A man who cosplays as something that appeals to the idea of what his constituents feel is the type of person who will "look after them"

Nitpick: All citizens of Commonwealth realms — i.e. those Commonwealth countries that have the king as head of state. That's about 15 out of the 56 Commonwealth member countries. Also citizens of the "territories" - non-sovereign places over which the UK exercises sovereignty, like Gibraltar, the Falklands, etc.

To my mind the problem with this is not that it's offensive so much as that it's just silly. I mean, seriously, you're expected to stand in front of your television set and recite a declaration of allegiance? You too can play along at home? Would you not feel a bit of a dork doing that? Does the establishment really want to frame the coronation as a kind of Playschool, but without the educational benefits?

I'm sure there will be a facility to live stream yourself doing it like being in some bastard child of Gogglebox and an Ingsoc fitness program.

A lot of anecdotal stories coming out that the majority of those being turned away for no IDs are older voters. Voter demographics are going to be just as interesting as the results.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Might that be because younger people couldn't be bothered voting rather than them being turned away?

Advertisement