Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Wow, and I thought The Economist was expensive!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Guardian headline : Media shuns Tory party conference over demands for attendance fee

I see the Tories are trying to charge the media to attend their party conference, but the media are refusing to pay.

Maybe they could get a few of their wealthy MPs to stump up for the media. After all, they want to media to report their conference, don't they?

Perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,327 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some of their dodgy wealthy donors might be an option for the Tory party.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,404 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The FT caters to the preconceptions and preferences of its target market just as much as any other newspaper. It's what newspapers have to do to surivive.

The thing is, the FT's target market has a preference for objective reality, accuracy and truth. The FT's target market is the commercial and financial classes who make money by running real-world businesses of one kind or another. To succeed at that you have to have a realistic perception of the world around you, so the FT's readers want to know that what they read in the paper will be truthful, reliable, accurate, balanced, etc, and will leave them well-informed.

It's not always an exciting newspaper to read, and the focus on business and politics at the expense of culture and social topics is not to everyone's taste. But you can be sure that they are not running a slate of slanted stories designed to fuel your outrage about something in order to influence your vote or your political position.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The FT also prints its paper on PINK paper which may or may not be of significance to its readers. :)

• Advertisement

Yes unbleached, very environmentally friendly😀

• Registered Users Posts: 25,619 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

During a visit to London over the weekend I was shocked at how quiet the place was particularly in regards to tourist areas that I would have a lot of experience in from working in hospitality there.

Been looking for various figures on the subject and it felt like it was a lot worse than the 87% of previous years prediction below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Last weekend had train strikes so a lot of the intercity stuff was not running

Ya I know I got caught in the Stansted strike.

It certainly had an affect on numbers if they were down 75% of trains from the airport and I still was on a half empty carriage.

But it's not just that weekend if it's the numbers I was quoted from friends in the industry.

Given what I've heard about hospitality and WFH I can believe those figures..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm in Amsterdam in a poorly judged holiday and I can't wait to get back to London. It's absurdly well set up both for tourism and in general. TfL is by far the best public transport system I've ever used and the best museums are free unlike here where they cost a fortune and must be booked online. I can't even visit the Anne Frank House or the Van Gogh museum because they've sold out ages ago. My fault of course but it's impossible to see a major London attraction have the same problem.

I'm sad that fewer people appear to be visiting London. Every time I visit an EU capital, I become that little bit more convinced that I live in the best city in Europe.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I've noticed a few cracks emerging in TFL services but it is still the best around with the only real downfall being the lack of 24hr trains.

Museums in London are amazing but special exhibitions and the other tourist stuff like London Eye or Tower of London are no less expensive than anywhere else and will sell out as I learned Sunday.

One thing Brexit really hurt was the tremendous goodwill other Europeans had for the UK. It's a complete contrast to the hostile attitude the English have for them.

Work from home is doing serious damage to certain areas. Waterloo for instance has the double problem of tourist and office drop off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah, the Tower, the other HRPs and the Zoo are appalling rip offs as is Kew Gardens.

Strikes are only a recent problem but I hope the Unions can get a settlement that they're happy with. It's quite an inconvenience for me as I work on site but it is what it is.

I hope we can get some kind of prudent regulation for WFH soon. It's clearly the way things need to go. A close friend is having to relocate to Leeds because of high property prices here but her work are insisting on two in office days a week. It could be a real boost to less affluent areas far from London but the government would rather campaign than act.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

New polls out and mostly telling us nothing we didn't know.

Past the clickbait title it gives various scenarios of how it will turn out but looking good for Labour in both England and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think Sunak is actually a big problem for the Tories. he is really struggling with the job, and his delivery continues to be terrible. He got a bounce after taking over from Truss, but he continually seems to make the wrong decisions. His latest decision to go bring the Covid inquiry to court is going to play out poorly for him. His recent trip to Dover to proclaim his 'stopping the boats' was working was ripped apart by a journalist asking if strong winds were the bigger reason.

I assume it was felt that the longer he was in the office, the more distance to Truss and Johnson's time as PM and the better chance they had of winning back some votes but based on his performance to date I can't see him providing that. He was always facing a tough challenge, but are the Tories starting to realise that Sunak is actually a vote loser rather can a winner?

His whole selling point was professionalism and competence along with a break from the scandal-riven years of Truss and Johnson.

Of course, he immediately fatally undermined any credibility he had from the outset by keeping Suella Braverman as Home Secretary. It was nice to see some form of rapprochement with Emmanuel Macron and the EU but we all knew where this was heading: culture wars and scandal culminating in defeat.

He's a 21st century John Major without any achievements to offset the corruption and graft.

H. H. Asquith

He might be worried the Covid enquiry will remind everyone that he was at all the same parties that got Johnson sacked.

The real disaster zone is the National Rail franchises, which in the case of Avanti is so bad that they've stopped selling advance tickets for a lot of their services. No wonder WFH has got cemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The Covid Inquiry seems to be taking a keen interest in the "Eat Out to Help Out" scheme that he brought in when he was Chancellor.

"Eat Out to Help Out was launched in August 2020. It allowed diners to claim 50% off more than 160m meals at a cost to the Treasury of about £850m. In the process, it also drove new Covid-19 infections up by between 8 and 17%, according to a study carried out by Thiemo Fetzer, an economist at the University of Warwick, a few weeks later." https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/03/sunak-under-fire-as-stupid-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme-to-be-focus-of-covid-inquiry

To put it bluntly, it killed people. So yeah, I think he is worried alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It was also basically a rounding error on what happened that autumn and winter.

Eat Out to Help out was potentially bad policy, but it was also pretty defendable policy. Skipping Cobra meetings, illegal gatherings in govt buildings, and general lies and obfuscation seem to be far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sunak is a bit of a strange one. Seems very conciliatory on relations with Ireland and the EU26 and yet is surprisingly right wing and hawkish on immigration and refugees (there's not that much evidence that he differs with Braverman on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Perhaps, but I think he can also be criticised for not increasing statutory sick pay - meaning people who tested positive for Covid going to work because they couldn't afford not to.

Sure, he can be criticised for that and I think it was dreadful policy (and still is just in general). But it ties into the fairly poor welfare policies in the UK in general.

Inquiries shouldn't really be looking at the merits or demerits of policy choices though - they need to look at whether there were procedural and conduct issues and indeed if there was a negligent and foreseeably terribly policy choice (which are different outcomes also). There is scope for a review to look at policy choices to inform future efforts but that's not what this is.

He mostly just has no spine or ideas of his own.

He got the chancellor's job by agreeing to be a doormat.

Well we know there were conduct issues because there is proof Sunak was at lockdown parties.

Well we know there were conduct issues because there is proof Sunak was at lockdown parties.

Yes, that and poor governance in general is where I think the inquiry should focus.

I don't think any comments on EOHO is going to change a single person's mind politically at this point either (not that being political is the inquiry's job). But I'd say if they focus on that that Sunak would be thrilled more than anything else.

The other side is that all that you write about Sunak and Braverman is factored into the polling. Yet much of the Lb lead is soft. So that could narrow a lot in the run up to a GE. 30 seats in Scotland seems very optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's not the policy, its that apparently he ignored the scientific advice.

I agree that individual policy decisions shouldn't be held against a politician, but the process of arriving at that decision should be.

EO2HO for all its faults probably saved some busineses and livlihoods, so while bad it did have some measure of well-meaning. Ireland's 18-month lockdown was pure indecision.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,404 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The purpose of the Covid enquiry is not to demonise (or sanctify) particular politicians, but to look at the overall handling of the pandemic, the preparation, the resources, the processes, the policies, and the outcomes in a systemic way, so as to learn useful lessons for the next pandemic.

But obviously a side-effect of it may be to damage or enhance the reputation of particular politicians, and that side-effect is of more importance to those politicians that the main purpose of the exercise is. That's why it's important that the enquiry be independent, and why politicians' attempts to constrain or direct the enquiry will most likely be politically damaging to those politicians.

I think the big problem for the Tories is, actually, that their leader is not the big problem. If it were, they could fix their problem by ditching their leader and appointing a competent and popular one, if they had anybody competent and popular. But voters aren't pissed off with Sunak; they're pissed off with the Tories. That's a much more difficult problem to fix. Truth to tell, it can't be fixed in the time available before the next election.

• Advertisement

Its not a technocracy, he's perfectly entitled to ignore scientific advice.

Beyond which, it is a governments job to parse all advice from multiple sources and make the decisions afterwards. Scientific advice from experts is, by definition, going to be very narrowly focused (and frequently lacks consensus).

EO2HO is fundamentally a non-event in scale of the pandemic and response as a whole.

Advertisement