Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But he lied about his intentions:

"Three years ago I committed to the British people that I would renegotiate our position in the European Union and hold an in-out referendum.

Now I am delivering that commitment.

You will decide.

And whatever your decision, I will do my best to deliver it." (February 20th, 2016).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Realistically, Cameron had no choice but to resign. He was a dead man walking. In the universe where he tries to hang on he faces a no-confidence vote within three weeks of the Brexit vote.

Brexiteers send in their letters as how can a Remain PM deliver Brexit. Remain MPs send in their letters as he has caused Brexit. No confidence vote ensues. He probably loses, or at best wins with the sort of tiny majority which buys him a month or two but fatally wounds him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

He shouldn't have promised to deliver it then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think it would have been difficult for him to stay on, but the manner in which he just upped sticks and refused to face any consequences of his actions is what led to the primary selector for leadership positions being a single ideological focus and the carving out of any sensible elements of the Conservative Party. When the ideological purity test is that you must believe in a clearly stupid idea, you are going to severely hamper your pool of talent. There was a path forward of a broad government focusing on delivering the result of the referendum in the most sensible (i.e. least damaging) way. It would have been exceptionally difficult to navigate but he didn't even try.

Everything he did poisoned the country and the party irrevocably.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

🤣

I've never seen before. That cheered me up no end.

Ta!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd go one further and say he shouldn't have gambled the country's very existence just for expedience. We've separatist movements here which are currently semi-quiescent but will rev up the second they get the chance. Calling that referendum in 2014 was a mistake from a constitutional point of view as it taught him that he could just dump anything complicated on the public. UKIP cleaning up in 2014 was ultimately a nothing story but he took it as an existential threat.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Poor Suella, her moment of becoming a fully fledged far-right martyr being totally overshadowed by David Cameron’s return. That’s got to sting. Just look at her mentions v Cameron’s on this thread since the news broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Twitter loopies tried their best. Loads of comments on tweets and BTL media comment sections talking about how Sunak has ruined the party and country by sacking the only person "telling it as it is".

Was pretty much forgotten before long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And so it begins, will this be the end of Sunak or will he keep enough onside?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Was she drunk when she wrote that letter? Did she just admit that Johnson was 'unforgivable enough'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How is the old phrase can be adjusted? The Tory leaders will be changed until morale improves!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is that Pamela Anderson next to Corbyn?? 😆😆

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Quite the Lefty these days is Pamela.

Minister for Common Sense is now a thing, Esther Mcvey. Secretary of Keeping it Real.

Jebus, they're an embarrassment even by modern political standards.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I like how "real" conservative has become the new "hard" Brexit. You can't just be something you have to be a certain type or you are illegitimate.

Also these "real" conservatives are miles away from the type of Health/Thatcher party that most people would see as standard conservativism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Cameron is about as close as you get to One Nation Conservative in this cabinet, and every cabinet since May.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't worry it will only affect "people who are unable to work due to health conditions" rather than those who have chosen a lifestyle choice.

May get buried in other news.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As matters stand right now, the party is going to be dismembered with a blunt hacksaw and boiled down for glue in the next election. I suspect the thinking behind this move is "if we do something really unexpected, that might shake things up a bit and improve our chances. It certainly couldn't make them any worse."

Another possible line of thinking is "if we're going to be dismembered with a blunt hacksaw and boiled down for glue, we might as well die for the cause". If the choice is between dying in the Fuhrerbunker or trying to flee and dying in the suburbs of Berlin, it is better to die in the Fuhrerbunker.

And a third possible line of thinking is "we're down in the polls because we promised the voters delusion, cruelty and psychopathy, and they are disgusted because we haven't been delusional enough, cruel enough or psychotic enough. We just need to be more ghastly and the voters will reward us".

Different people in the Tory party may be motivated by all three lines of thinking, but I'd say (among those who are pressing for a change in leadership) the first line is the dominant one.

• Advertisement

Its honestly been a source of constant entertainment since Brexit, watching the Tory party eat itself alive

He's unlikely to be ousted, but hey, one can hope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think Suella was a patsy all along for the extreme right of the party and strated to believe her own hype. She just kept pushing it to extremes and then also pulled a few stunts, like the email that got her sacked the first time. I foresee a spot on WokeWatch with GB News and the conservative speaker circuit but, without a position of power, I suspect she won't be able to hold people's attention.

The spate of resignations and bizarre ministerial appointments reminds me of the cabinet re-shuffle in January 2011 back home, hopefully with a similar result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

With Long Covid now thought to last 18 months, good luck kicking people off benefits. There was a lot of Covid in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would be fairly unlikely (albeit not impossible) that one of the Taoiseach nominees would step aside to allow someone get appointed immediately.

Senators are restricted from being the Taoiseach or Minister for Finance; and there can only be two in cabinet. Very rare occurrence except we do have one now; in the even odder position of being a non voting member of cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Brilliant piece of politics by Rishi Sunak sacks Braverman and appoints a former PM as Foreign Secretary. He is playing the long game. He will.akways have a core of realistic right wingers with him. The core of 40-50 head the balls are isolated as he also has thrown the olive branch to the center of and the as Margaret Thatcher called them the ''Wets'' part of the party.

The majority of the party know this is as good as it gets especially the center and the moderate side of the party. The Reese Mogs et al are isolated unless the rest of the party want to be decimated. Ita there only chance to save seats. This is not about the next election that is well and truly lost its about the battle in the aftermath

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Could the loons be trying to turn the party into a rump far right outfit though? They may feel that the moderates and the centrists have no place in the party and much better that they be a smaller version under Braverman (or even Farage).....at least this smaller rump version would be pure and true to what they call 'conservative' values e.g. anti immigration, anti woke, anti EU etc.

Ah Sunak's boring accountant look strikes again.

Sunak is not a moderate or centrist, he is also one of the most pro Brexit people in parliament. But yet we keep hearing over the last 24 hrs that bringing in Cameron is a sign of both his centrist leanings and a sign he wants to move closer to Europe.

Sunak is one of the "head the balls"

That letter is an embarrassment. She is a former education minister so this is especially unforgivable though it does help prove that something other than cream rises to the top of the Conservative party.

It's only slightly more eloquent than this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Do you think the british public will let them away with another unelected PM? Id hope for mass protests and some low levels but wide ranging acts of civil disobedience in response but they seem so apathetic and willing to just wait it out.

Advertisement