Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options
1492493494495496498»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Will the Tories be willing to take on Reform and be the opposition? They seemed reluctant to take on Reform during the election. It won't simply be enough to be the official opposition, they will have to show that Reform cannot provide what potential Reform voters want (apart from the already bought in voters).

Are the Tories willing to fight not only the Labour party but also to fight Reform? Initial soundings since the election would suggest not.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

ignoring Shoog’s melodramatic and hugely erroneous post, none of the three you mention would be considered to come from middle class backgrounds.

something like 30,000 people of Indian heritage came to the UK from east Africa, the majority from Uganda after Idi Amin gave them 90 days to leave. Many couldn’t go back to India as they regions their families had left were now in Pakistan, so the majority came to the UK.

Rather than “Lakkies of the empire” as Shoog so horribly described them, most were shop keepers, small business owners and generally quite entrepreneurial, which is where a lot of the hatred had stemmed from in Uganda (not too dissimilar to Hitlers demonisation of the Jews). They arrived in the UK without a penny, but carried on where they left off in Uganda and opened shops and started businesses.

There is a great sketch in one of the Alf Garnet series where an Indian guy is canvassing for the local elections and knocks on Garnets door, to which Alf starts his rants about foreigners and Labour etc.

the Indian guy simply replies that he is Sorry Mr Garnet, you are mistaken. Four years ago I was an immigrant and was supporting Labour. Now I own a Newsagent and rent out three properties, so I am running to become a Conservative councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭drury..

A lot of the British Indians are very British in their ways and vote conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭PommieBast

They are trying to appeal to vested interests and grassroots, not the general electorate. For them general appeal stopped being a factor in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭yagan

You can appreciate my comment then about the northern Ireland loyalists having more in common with them as road kill of the empire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement