Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options
1495496497498499501»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I would have thought people are tired of parties playing politics. The SNP is good at that, making other parties look bad by proposing amendments that they know will put the others in difficult positions, but that will not actually make a difference in people's lives. We saw this with the Gaza vote as well, it was done not to make people's lives better in Gaza but to embarrass Starmer and Labour. A vote that would not compel the government to do anything nor force Israel to stop killing people in Gaza, but it would make Labour look bad and sow division within the party.

The jokes on the SNP though, only 9 MP's and I think the fallout from the scandal will still run and run. They would be better off to start making differences in people's lives and propose amendments that have a hope of achieving change instead of grandstanding for viral moments and tweets that will not achieve anything.

The left of Labour would be better served as well to choose their battles. If Labour does away with the policy in a few months time they will just look silly and will miss the conference as a result. But at least non-member Owen Jones can make a video about it and how absolutely terrible Labour is in wanting children to be poor and they are just Tory-lites.

I remember when Labour member Femi was kicked out of the party and the Corbyn fans were telling him that as a Labour member he should have known he could not say he voted for another party or advocate others do it as well. But now Labour MP's are okay to vote for an opposition amendment and should face no consequence for that? When they ran on the pledge to be fiscally responsible and knowing the mess they are in?

It made me think back on Iain Duncan Smith winning his seat because Faiza Shaheen ran as an independent and got 12K votes, same as the Labour candidate. IDS got 17K votes and is back as an MP and Shaheen and her fans had the gall to blame Labour for him winning his seat. I agree, the way she was treated was abysmal but to not take any responsibility for you running and taking votes from the Labour candidate and having IDS as an MP is just as abysmal. I guess the left just needs to always have someone else to blame for their failures and will never take responsibility when their own actions are the reasons for why things don't always work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You’d get the sense that the hard left within Labour hate Starmer more than they hate the Tories.

Nothing worse than someone who is willing to be pragmatic and compromise when needed, and who can actually succeed where their hard-left messiah failed.

Advertisement