Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options
1497498499500501503»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

lol, someone who says "status symbol" clearly doesnt have kids , not an argument that would make sense to a parent

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Randycove

Adding VAT to private school fees is just simple class war politics, that’s all. It’s just a sop to the bash the rich brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,199 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well it also raises money for the government. Much needed money given the state your beloved Tories left the place in.

Is there some reason these private profit making companies shouldn't pay tax. Making them VAT free is equally class war politics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If only the Tories hadn't left the country in its worst state since the war…

It's not class war anyway, it's common sense.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL class warfare, hilarious. For what good reason should Vat not be added other than it's currently how it's run? Some people not being able to afford it anymore is not a good enough one FYI. Also I'm betting anyone in public school who accesses private tutoring is paying VAT for it so is that fair to you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It still is the case, it's just less egregious than it once was. The ratio of privately educated students attending Oxbridge is still completely out of kilter - and of course there is uproar about paying for schooling no longer being enough to guarantee entry. Though yes, of course, there are tentative steps in the right direction being taken.

I think very few schools will feel any pinch because I think parents will just continue to pay up as they have during the untold number of price rises the public/private schools have foisted on them over the last couple decades. Everyone paying for their kids to be privately educated is rich, and the overwhelming proportion of them are exceedingly rich.

Advertisement