Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You won't get a job as Director of Elections by insulting large sections of the population.

What are you even on about now. Who here is looking for that job and how does it answer the previous post

SNP have taken Ayr from the Tories. That's the 2nd turn from remain to independence with one from Labour and one from Tories

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

listermint wrote: »
    But that wasn't what you were upset about. It was about the term progressive.

So are you now in agreement that the Tories didn't run a progressive campaign.

I'm not upset about anything.

I'm taking issue with insulting large sections of the population. If the Left wants to win an election, that's not the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What are you even on about now. Who here is looking for that job and how does it answer the previous post

It was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

If the party in government is wearing a badge of honour that is effectively "we are the exact opposite of labour" and manages to get elected in Labour heartlands in a by election contest that wasn't within an asses roar of being close, what does that tell you about how well liked Labour, their policies and personnel are?

Some of their policies have been nicked from Labour though no?

• Advertisement

Go to somewhere like Denmark and you'll see the Danish flag everywhere, in England you rarely see the flag, NI is not Britain, they are territory marking up there.

The US is exceptional with flags
    listermint wrote: »
    Having been all over the UK for years. I've yet found it difficult to find an English flag hung up. Not the union jack an actual English flag. I'm unsure where you are looking frankly.
    Did you actually read my post?
    As I said, you rarely see the flags in England, they will come out on special occasions though.

Greens are looking to be the other big story outside of Tory gains with +23 so far in local councils

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SNP have gained Edinburgh Central through Angus Robertson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The post mortem begins on all the UK channels this evening.
    The elephant in the room has not been mentioned once yet tonight. Immigration.
    Burying their head in the sand on immigration will eventually kill Labour off.
    For better or worse, it's what the people want addressed in places like Hartlepool.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,308 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well done lads - you made sure you undermined Corbyn and your actual core supporters for...this.

• Advertisement

Looks like Tories voting for Labour en masse in Edinburgh in a tactical vote

Looks like Tories voting for Labour en masse in Edinburgh in a tactical vote

Not sure what tactic they are pulling. Labour want Scotland to stay in the UK more than the Conservatives.

I'm struggling to make sense of the Scottish counts thus far, I really have no familiarity with that election map. Are the SNP on track for a majority?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm struggling to make sense of the Scottish counts thus far, I really have no familiarity with that election map. Are the SNP on track for a majority?
    They will get a majority, but what they want is a pro-independence majority.
    It all depends on how many seats Labour get.
    The SNP have to win Ayr, Lothian and Edinburgh Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

According to LucidTalk it will be close:

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1390730144889950210

They add that this assumes the SNP hold all their current seats.

Well they have 2 of those 3 already

I don't understand? 65 is enough for a majority and they'll push forward with an advisory referendum then, no? What's a 'pro - independence majority'?

According to LucidTalk it will be close:

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1390730144889950210

They add that this assumes the SNP hold all their current seats.

Tories hold Eastwood

I don't understand? 65 is enough for a majority and they'll push forward with an advisory referendum then, no? What's a 'pro - independence majority'?

A majority of sitting MP's in favour of independence.

A majority of sitting MP's in favour of independence.

So 65 SNP MPs does the job. Or are you suggesting they could manage just shy of 65 with a couple of pro independence from other parties making it up?

• Advertisement

So 65 SNP MPs does the job. Or are you suggesting they could manage just shy of 65 with a couple of pro independence from other parties making it up?

Yes but I would assume they would need a few Greens too to have insurance.
    51%:49% might not cut it with Westminster. Imagine what Johnson would say if it was 65:64.

51%:49% might not cut it with Westminster. Imagine what Johnson would say if it was 51:49.

I really hope it is 52% to 48%

What could he possibly say to such a resounding majority other than "get referendum done"

51%:49% might not cut it with Westminster. Imagine what Johnson would say if it was 65:64.

Don't think 'cutting it with Westminster' will matter tbh. Get an Advisory referendum on the go and see where it takes you.

I really hope it is 52% to 48%

What could he possibly say to such a resounding majority other than "get referendum done"

That would be nice.:D

Would love if BBC could stop saying Alaba

Don't think 'cutting it with Westminster' will matter tbh. Get an Advisory referendum on the go and see where it takes you.
    You know that Johnson is not obligated to give them an advisory referendum.
    However he would be under severe pressure to do so. And the bigger the % the more pressure he would be under.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Two votes, one in a FPTP constituency and another for regional lists where the constituencies are grouped together

The results that are in are the FPTP constituency and will show a huge SNP majority but the regional lists result will compensate those that did not win by taking the regional list result and dividing it by number of seats won + 1. This is why it is incredibily difficult to win an overall majority for one party and it was explicitly designed by Westminster to stop overall majorities for one party

It is almost certain that the parliament have an overall pro-independence majority though

Two votes, one in a FPTP constituency and another for regional lists where the constituencies are grouped together

The results that are in are the FPTP constituency and will show a huge SNP majority but the regional lists result will compensate those that did not win by taking the regional list result and dividing it by number of seats won + 1. This is why it is incredibily difficult to win an overall majority for one party and it was explicitly designed by Westminster to stop overall majorities for one party

It is almost certain that the parliament have an overall pro-independence majority though

Thanks, useful info

• Registered Users Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

129 seats in total made up of 73 FPTP seats and 56 regional list seats. There has only been one occasion since the Scottish Parliament reconvened (1999) that one party won an overall majority and that was the SNP in 2011

• Advertisement

Dunbarton held by Labour. Tactical voting looks to be really working well

Advertisement