Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received text

Options
  • 29-02-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭

Is this official or scam.

Screenshot-20200229-124006.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Scam. Don't give any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

I received it as well and deleted it straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Clearly a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

SCam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You actually have to ask???

I'm not being flippant, but even the wording of the text and link to a ridiculous .com website should tell you immediately to just delete the text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Darc19 wrote: »
    You actually have to ask???

I'm not being flippant, but even the wording of the text and link to a ridiculous .com website should tell you immediately to just delete the text.
    How would they know I had 3 failed login attempts?

blade1 wrote: »

Did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They don't. They're assuming that there will be a few suckers out there who will click the link and hand over their details to them. They only need a couple to make it all worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Got this too, I don't even use BOI

Deub wrote: »

Did you?
    Yes.
    I've 3 bank accounts and was in an area with slow internet speed so I thought it was just down to the internet speed and then realised  I was putting in another account passcode.

• Advertisement

Yes.
    I've 3 bank accounts and was in an area with slow internet speed so I thought it was just down to the internet speed and then realised  I was putting in another account passcode.

Then it is a coincidence. You can delete it.
    Did you click on the link?

Deub wrote: »
    Yes.

Then it is a coincidence. You can delete it.
    Did you click on the link?
    No, there's no way id comprise anything.
    Spooky coincidence at the same time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The spelling or grammar is always terrible and so fake.

Obviously people still fall for these and if they get 1 in a 1000 it's obvious it's still worth while as they tend to be in foreign regions and don't ever get caught.

The spelling or grammar is always terrible and so fake.

Obviously people still fall for these and if they get 1 in a 1000 it's obvious it's still worth while as they tend to be in foreign regions and don't ever get caught.
    You'd think if they can put a scam like that in place that they'd make sure of the spelling.
    Have they not heard of Google Translate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You'd think if they can put a scam like that in place that they'd make sure of the spelling.

Sometimes they do it in the hope that it looks like they wouldn't be smart enough to pull a scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

We are aware of a fraudulent message that is circulating at the moment. Please do not follow any links or reply to the message. It is best to delete it straight away.

Bank of Ireland will never contact you, asking for you to disclose any of your account or online information.

If you are even unsure of a message you can certainly forward it by email to 365security@boi.com, or contact our Customer Service Team by phone on 0818 365 365.

Thanks,
    Aisling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

An investigation by a BBC program on how scams work said that they purposely make spelling and other errors as this weeds out those who would never fall for such scams.

Therefore they will only get responses from those a little more gullible and therefore a lot easier to manipulate.

Sometimes it can coincide with a genuine related issue as it did with the op, (who checked it first) but mostly it's random and even one response will make it worthwhile

Advertisement