Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transportation of Ammo.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Asus1 wrote: »
    Heres the decathlon link same as above only link to Irish site.Its a really strong case will last a long time if not abused and can be locked without modification.
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/storage-case-for-200-cartridges-en-s10511.html

You cant beat Decathlon for value...

on the interpretation side its a shocking minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

You cant beat Decathlon for value...

on the interpretation side its a shocking minefield.

Cant wait for it to open in Dublin.Some of the clothes seem great value but like you say their description of clothes and sizes makes it hard to trust ordering anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

i have same one and its huge, more than enough space for cartridges, a light jacket, water etc
    Asus1 wrote: »
    Id just pick up something like this if your heading out hunting.Enough room for a load of shells or bullets and it can be padlocked.

https://www.halfords.ie/tools/storage/tool-boxes/222908.html
    I got a box from decathlon that holds 8 boxes of shells for €9 ill try find link.Buy either and id say your covering your arse.

i transport in locked cartridge box and gun concealed in a gun slip , both in the boot, and i know other clubmen (a few of them members of AGS) who do exactly the same; for additional security you can put the trigger lock on your rifle while driving to/from your shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

solarwinds wrote: »
    "But that's only my thinking on the matter, who knows if the Gardai or a Judge would think differently."

And there is the problem, 10 people will give 10 different views/interpretations and who is right ?.It is not defined accurately enough. In your opinion you have complied with the law, ammo locked in glove box firearm in the boot. But you get the wrong Judge or AGS member and they will be of the opinion you should have steel safes bolted into your car.
    No adequate definitions on what anything is as usual.

They have to go with what the law says too.A locked receptable,is open to definition.if it said,a" lockable steel container of no less than 6mm thick with secure boltage points to no less than 4 points of the vechicle and locks of no less a BS std of XYZ123"...THEN they would have somthing to gripe and charge you about,but not this.

Guys,do not overthink this!!!:) You do not need to go getting safes and whatnot.its a deterrent legislation and really a placebo at that too.Someone nicks your car/truck these days. A safe,no matter how well built isnt going to stop a car breaker ring. Anything that is lockable and seperates your gun from its ammo is good enough.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    They have to go with what the law says too.A locked receptable,is open to definition.if it said,a" lockable steel container of no less than 6mm thick with secure boltage points to no less than 4 points of the vechicle and locks of no less a BS std of XYZ123"...THEN they would have somthing to gripe and charge you about,but not this.

Guys,do not overthink this!!!:) You do not need to go getting safes and whatnot.its a deterrent legislation and really a placebo at that too.Someone nicks your car/truck these days. A safe,no matter how well built isnt going to stop a car breaker ring. Anything that is lockable and seperates your gun from its ammo is good enough.

The cops in Cavan are looking for anyone that is licensing a gun even substitutions to bring there secure lock box to the station.....only heard that today...so it looks as if the interpretation has started.

The cops in Cavan are looking for anyone that is licensing a gun even substitutions to bring there secure lock box to the station.....only heard that today...so it looks as if the interpretation has started.

I would tell the Cavan cops to pee off and stop exceeding their authorithy! And if they want to be thick about it ...Show us exactly where in the legislation that grants them that authorithy to inspect "lockable receptables",and if they want they can explain it in front of a district court judge how they have decided to interpert the law.
    You gotta bite back at this sort of carry on,otherwise they will start taking liberties with you.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I would tell the Cavan cops to pee off and stop exceeding their authorithy! And if they want to be thick about it ...Show us exactly where in the legislation that grants them that authorithy to inspect "lockable receptables",and if they want they can explain it in front of a district court judge how they have decided to interpert the law.
    You gotta bite back at this sort of carry on,otherwise they will start taking liberties with you.

Is there anything in law that allows them to inspect your safe? This seems to be common practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Is there anything in law that allows them to inspect your safe? This seems to be common practice.

You allow them.

Vampires and Guards must be invited into your home:)

In your house yes,not an ammo receptacle when you are travelling,and deciding arbitrarily whats suitable in their eyes, and as for the legislation of seperate secure ammo storage.Well,it might be abit difficult dragging your lockable dresser or wardrobe down the the garda station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Aren't laws supposed to define practically everything to ensure they're easy to apply and require minimal interpretation? Our laws are written by a ****wit with a crayon. The locked receptacle could be a woolly sock with a padlock stuck through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

So much moaning, you get a small safe for €20, a couple of strong u-bolts, €5. Bolt the safe to the tie downs in the boot of your car, you're done. I've seen guys buy guns worth €1000s and then complain about spending a €100s on a safe.

One round in the wrong hands in one round too many, be that 22LR, Shotgun Shell. It takes two minute to lock the ammo into the boot.

As other have also mentioned, the law may have also been introduced to give the Gardai more powers if they find people doing what they shouldn't be doing. Which everyone has to agree is better for the good guys (ie. us).

So really, it's a cheap price to increase security and also protect the law abiding shooters.

i agree with a lot of what you say, especially the issue of expensive guns and not wanting to buy safes, ; except that a lot of guys will shoot 20+ boxes cartridges in a day and thats a sizeable safe in a boot! not to mention heavy . an approved ammo safe to IS/BS standard will not cost 20€ , it will be closer to starting at €60-80.
    again, thats small beans in the overall context if it keeps us on the right side of the law.......
    the issue that worries most shooters most, cost wise is the lead ban/steel proofing of guns; a lot of older guns wil be scrapped when that comes in and the cost of steel will be higher than lead
    PSXDupe wrote: »
    So much moaning, you get a small safe for €20, a couple of strong u-bolts, €5. Bolt the safe to the tie downs in the boot of your car, you're done. I've seen guys buy guns worth €1000s and then complain about spending a €100s on a safe.

One round in the wrong hands in one round too many, be that 22LR, Shotgun Shell. It takes two minute to lock the ammo into the boot.

As other have also mentioned, the law may have also been introduced to give the Gardai more powers if they find people doing what they shouldn't be doing. Which everyone has to agree is better for the good guys (ie. us).

So really, it's a cheap price to increase security and also protect the law abiding shooters.

Nowhere does it say that the container needs to be to BS/IS standard. So you will easily pickup a safe, that will hold enough ammo and weight no more than a case of beer.

I know this because I have it done, and the guy next door is the CPO for the area, he confirmed it is more than complies with the regulation.

To be honest, out of all the shooter out there I would say a very, very small percentage will shoot 500 shells in a day. Plus you need to also consider rifle shooters and pistol shooters.

Again someone picking an exception that will impact 1%-2% of the shooters but the law is also there for the remaining 98%, 100-200 shells, or maybe a person that shoots 200,300,400 rounds in the rifle or pistol.

Time to unfollow this one.

why go to trouble of making a good case for safety and law, by buying and installing a safe, if you dont buy a good quality, secure safe, something with at least 6mm steel for example?

i know its possible to buy a safe for 20€ , but i also know its very easy to open one like that; using that logic you would be as well off putting a padlock on a fishing tackle box! so is your motive, real gun safety or 'ticking the box'?

also i dont know where you got your % rates from, i know some hunters (culling pests) , shop owners, and club members that store ammo for their family members who regularly store 500+ in a car boot going to a shoot.
    they are the minority for sure but i really doubt its the 1-2% you stated
    PSXDupe wrote: »
    Nowhere does it say that the container needs to be to BS/IS standard. So you will easily pickup a safe, that will hold enough ammo and weight no more than a case of beer.

I know this because I have it done, and the guy next door is the CPO for the area, he confirmed it is more than complies with the regulation.

To be honest, out of all the shooter out there I would say a very, very small percentage will shoot 500 shells in a day. Plus you need to also consider rifle shooters and pistol shooters.

Again someone picking an exception that will impact 1%-2% of the shooters but the law is also there for the remaining 98%, 100-200 shells, or maybe a person that shoots 200,300,400 rounds in the rifle or pistol.

Time to unfollow this one.

You're missing the point altogether, but each to their own.

I will give your safe whether it is a lidil special or some customised 2000 euro draw thing in the back of your "Wange Wover"all of about 30 to 60 secs if your car / Truck is stolen by a East bloc chop gang.They now have your car an gun,and no 4mm mild steel box will stop them.If they have bypassed your immobiliser and alarm in 60 secs.
    Europe has had this for decades and any gunowners and authorities over there knows that this is a placebo and a fig leaf to security.All this does is prevent your local opportunistic "Gert" from doing a quick snatch of your openly left about ammo in the back of your vechicle.
    Also dont you think it is rather dumb to be going on about this as being too lax HERE???Its about the only good break we got in this POS legislation, and it seems we want to now throw that away as well.😡😡.
    If you really want to do somthing worthwhile for your security .Buy a 30 euro GSM car tracker on Ebay which are the exact same that are being sold here for 300 plus euros in some car security shops and hardwire it in a concealed location in your car and put the software on your phone ,so you can track ans alert AGS as to where your guns and car is going.Be 100% more useful and practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

If I go to the range with 100 22lr they have to be in a lockable container? Can I not just put them in my pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Anyway. I'm using an old drill box which is lockable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

rsole1 wrote: »
    If I go to the range with 100 22lr they have to be in a lockable container? Can I not just put them in my pocket?

As long as you're in the "lockable" container, >>> make sure you car doors are locked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement