Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Phone ringing out during calls

• 29-02-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got a Redmi &a for a relative and they tell me that during calls it will start ringing out to another number whilst they are talking.
    They say they are not holding it in any odd manner or doing anything different during the conversation.
    It would appear to be ringing out to an adjacent (or nearby) number in the contacts list.

Any ideas as to what would be causing this or more importantly, how to stop it from happening?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi,

Got a Redmi &a for a relative and they tell me that during calls it will start ringing out to another number whilst they are talking.
    They say they are not holding it in any odd manner or doing anything different during the conversation.
    It would appear to be ringing out to an adjacent (or nearby) number in the contacts list.

Any ideas as to what would be causing this or more importantly, how to stop it from happening?

Thanks

Calls diverted I'd bet,into settings and change that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What calls is it diverting?
    We have checked and no-one has been phoning into the mobile for it to be activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

See can you replicate it, it's something there doing. The phone hasn't gone crazy.

I noticed the following when checking it. Could this be part of the problem
    (note weblink in the header)

That's weird, back it up to Google and reset it.

• Advertisement

BTW For those who haven't realised it's a Xiaomi Redmi 7A.

I've restarted the phone and the contacts heading is now clear.

The only other thing I can think of is that the owner asked me to install some games for them - solataire and suduko. Can render the origins of them or if they were installed prior to or post the symptoms arising.

What is the best way to check if an app is mixing about - apart from deleting it and the issue disappearing?

Is that an Irish phone, I've never seen that happen, check what number it's trying to dial, when giving permissions, suduko or anything like that doesn't need access to your contacts so don't give apps full permissions.

Is that an Irish phone, I've never seen that happen, check what number it's trying to dial, when giving permissions, suduko or anything like that doesn't need access to your contacts so don't give apps full permissions.

You mean an Irish provider? If so, no it's EE. I'm in the North.
    That's what I thought, but I'm gasping at straws here.
    I was one phone to her earlier today and all of a sudden she was cut off whilst talking and I could hear continuous beeps but could not talk or hear her. Was dialling out to adjacent contact.

Very odd.

It's some setting she's enabled by mistake or she's hitting her ear off an open contact, it's not one of those things you can remotely diagnose you have to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Factory Reset, for the last resort etc.
    Check the settings as suggested above.
    And for software updates in Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Try to check the proximity sensor and disable it, and enable 'show touch' in developer options.

For Proximity sensor:
    Go to settings -> System app settings -> call settings -> Incoming call settings -> Proximity sensor, and change it from whatever it is on.

For Show Touch (I think it differs on some models) - Try this
    https://c.mi.com/thread-1896557-1-0.html

Suckit wrote: »
    Try to check the proximity sensor and disable it, and enable 'show touch' in developer options.

For Proximity sensor:
    Go to settings -> System app settings -> call settings -> Incoming call settings -> Proximity sensor, and change it from whatever it is on.

For Show Touch (I think it differs on some models) - Try this
    https://c.mi.com/thread-1896557-1-0.html

I had just asked them to check that it was enabled to turn off the screen when call was on.

I had just asked them to check that it was enabled to turn off the screen when call was on.

I am pretty sure the 7A has had some known issues with proximity sensor, but I am not certain it wasn't the 6A.
    Also a lot of the more recent redmi's have some issues with the screens, ghost touch, screen burn and other issues. I wouldn't have a clue about the types of precentage that do, if I was to guess it would be fairly low.
    Could be suffering from ghost touches, which they will be able to see more clearly if they are enabled.

It is enabled and working.
    Was there an update to fix it?

It is enabled and working.
    Was there an update to fix it?

For the touch screen issues - no.

But I am not sure for the proximity sensors, they did say that there would be.

IIRC it had something to do with pocket mode.

I think some enabled, disabled pocket mode and rebooted phone, then put it back to the original setting on reboot and it seemed to help (at least temporarily).

I can't remember exactly what it was.

I've asked them to check the pointer speed too.
    YT seems to talk about battery/charging being an issue.. This is a new phone and the battery is kept topped up.

I knew this would happen getting an elderly relative their first smart phone. :mad:

Look up redmi 7A proximity sensor issue and screen unlocking on the mi forums or use any search engine.
    You will get more answers, I just quickly searched there and pulled these three.
    https://c.mi.com/thread-2463439-1-0.html
    https://in.c.mi.com/thread-1913876-1-0.html
    http://c.mi.com/thread-2574813-1-0.html
    I didn't go through them all, but at a glance, they seem to say similar things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Borrow the phone for a couple of days and put your SIM in it. Use it and see if you can replicate the issue .

If yes then
    1) factory reset
    A) fixed? Great
    B) no? Get a replacement
    2) can't replicate
    A) end user issue :-(

Looks like I'll have to swap for a while. Just happened again.

Phone someone about an hour ago. They have just called her back to see what she wanted - apparently she made a further call to them.

I've check the call log for the phone and WhatsApp and there were no calls in the WhatApp log and the last outgoing call listed in the phone log was the valid call made about an hour ago. The phantom call was not listed.

The phone was in her pocket and inside a cover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement