Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House share room cost

Options
  • 29-02-2020 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all.

I recently moved into a new property sharing with 3 others. A little while later I found out that I am paying the most rent out of the 4 of us even though my room is by far the smallest. My room is a single “box room” while the other 3 have double rooms, 2 of which are en-suite rooms.

I questioned how the landlord decided on the price for each room and was told that the landlord didn’t decide but they themselves decided and increased the price of my single room “based on market value” before I moved in.

Can someone tell me if there is any legal basis for a tenant to do this or am I just being fleeced here?
    Can someone also tell me if there is anything that can be done about this or is my only option realistically to try find elsewhere as I think it’s extremely unfair to be paying the most when I have the least. I also imagine the landlord won’t care as long at the rent is paid so I haven’t contact them yet.

I don’t have much renting experience so any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Rubywoo123 wrote: »
    Hi all.

I recently moved into a new property sharing with 3 others. A little while later I found out that I am paying the most rent out of the 4 of us even though my room is by far the smallest. My room is a single “box room” while the other 3 have double rooms, 2 of which are en-suite rooms.

I questioned how the landlord decided on the price for each room and was told that the landlord didn’t decide but they themselves decided and increased the price of my single room “based on market value” before I moved in.

Can someone tell me if there is any legal basis for a tenant to do this or am I just being fleeced here?
    Can someone also tell me if there is anything that can be done about this or is my only option realistically to try find elsewhere as I think it’s extremely unfair to be paying the most when I have the least. I also imagine the landlord won’t care as long at the rent is paid so I haven’t contact them yet.

I don’t have much renting experience so any advice is appreciated.

Your being fleeced, if the landlord didn't put up the rent you should be paying your share based on the room size. Is your lease with the landlord or is it a sublet?.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Hi all.

Can someone also tell me if there is anything that can be done about this or is my only option realistically to try find elsewhere as I think it’s extremely unfair to be paying the most when I have the least.

You were happy with the price when you agreed to move in. Nobody is fleecing you, there was an asking price and you thought it was a fair price. Maybe next time you know to ask when you are looking at places how the overall rent is structured.

If you signed a lease or agreement I wouldn't consider this valid reasons for breaking that so expect to have to find someone else to take your room off your hands or you could be in legal woes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rubywoo123

con747 wrote: »
    Your being fleeced, if the landlord didn't put up the rent you should be paying your share based on the room size. Is your lease with the landlord or is it a sublet?.

Hi thanks for your response. As far as I’m aware from seeing a copy of the lease the rent went up 4% as it’s in a pressure zone which is fine. It’s just the other tenants have taken it upon themselves to split it unfairly to benefit themselves. I have a suspicion it’s a sublet as I haven’t met the landlord and I paid the rent and deposit to one of the tenants who then forwards it to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Hi thanks for your response. As far as I’m aware from seeing a copy of the lease the rent went up 4% as it’s in a pressure zone which is fine. It’s just the other tenants have taken it upon themselves to split it unfairly to benefit themselves. I have a suspicion it’s a sublet as I haven’t met the landlord and I paid the rent and deposit to one of the tenants who then forwards it to the landlord.

Bottom line is they are treating you unfairly by charging you more for a box room. If you think its worth a go at calling a house meeting and putting you concerns to them but I doubt if they done it in the first place you will get anywhere.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

LastStop wrote: »
    You were happy with the price when you agreed to move in. Nobody is fleecing you, there was an asking price and you thought it was a fair price. Maybe next time you know to ask when you are looking at places how the overall rent is structured.

If you signed a lease or agreement I wouldn't consider this valid reasons for breaking that so expect to have to find someone else to take your room off your hands or you could be in legal woes.

Hi thanks for your response. You’re correct in saying it’s not grounds to break a lease, luckily I haven’t signed one. I really wasn’t happy at all actually, just had to accept rent prices for what they are nowadays and not expecting it to be unfair in comparison with the others.

• Advertisement

con747 wrote: »
    Bottom line is they are treating you unfairly by charging you more for a box room. If you think its worth a go at calling a house meeting and putting you concerns to them but I doubt if they done it in the first place you will get anywhere.

My previous confrontation definitely fell of deaf ears I think it’s probably best I just cut my losses and hopefully will find somewhere I’m not being treated unfairly. Thanks for responding again!

Advertisement