Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repair or replace my shed door?

• 29-02-2020 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a concrete block built shed whose door always seemed to expand a little during winter becoming a bit sticky to close/open. It's been in place about 12 years and this winter not only has it become more sticky than ever but the bottom of the door has started to break up, see below.

Is this a repair or replacement job? Either way, unless it's extremely simple, I'll have to get someone to do it so recommendations much appreciated.

IMG20200229135600-21583010080.jpg

IMG20200229135605-21583010119.jpg

Sorry about the sideways photo's :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That's rotten through. Replace.
    I'd also look at the reason why it's rotting in that one spot. There's water getting at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

That's rotten through. Replace.
    I'd also look at the reason why it's rotting in that one spot. There's water getting at it.

Put in a pvc door this time and it will last for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Measure it and check Donedeal for a replacement that will cost buttons.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are you dogs pissing on the door. I'd imagine that's probably the source of the rot.

As said measure then get a pvc door new or second hand on adverts or donedeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

listermint wrote: »
    Are you dogs pissing on the door. I'd imagine that's probably the source of the rot.

As said measure then get a pvc door new or second hand on adverts or donedeal

Never seen the dogs pissing there but I guess it's possible.

Correction: have two bitches so not possible :-)

I like the idea of a pvc door. Could it be fitted to the existing wooden frame or would the wooden frame have to be replaced with a pvc frame and if so am I correct in assuming fitting a pvc frame isn't going to be a suitable DIY job for someone with very average (at best) DIY skills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

54and56 wrote: »
    Never seen the dogs pissing there but I guess it's possible.

Correction: have two bitches so not possible :-)

I like the idea of a pvc door. Could it be fitted to the existing wooden frame or would the wooden frame have to be replaced with a pvc frame and if so am I correct in assuming fitting a pvc frame isn't going to be a suitable DIY job for someone with very average (at best) DIY skills?

That frame is rotten as well, your better off going pvc frame and door for a long life.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Second hand pvc door and frame go from 150 to 200 not bat at all

Google steel doors Ireland. I can’t remember the name of the company we used, but they can be made to measure and are reasonably priced and durable.

Get a handyman or carpenter to fit it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Get a handyman or carpenter to fit it.

If the measurements are right, OP could do it themselves.

• Advertisement

If the measurements are right, OP could do it themselves.

It's not quite as simple as getting the right measurements Maryanne.

Probably a bit too much for someone without a fair degree of DIY experience.

It's not quite as simple as getting the right measurements Maryanne.

Probably a bit too much for someone without a fair degree of DIY experience.

I must have just gotten lucky! Sent off measurements. Door arrived. DIY Goddess manages to fit without any problems. Door still intact and doing it’s job 2 years later.

I must have just gotten lucky! Sent off measurements. Door arrived. DIY Goddess manages to fit without any problems. Door still intact and doing it’s job 2 years later.

I was referring to a secondhand PVC door and frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was referring to a secondhand PVC door and frame.

Tbf it's not rocket science the average diyer could do it

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf it's not rocket science the average diyer could do it

I know nothing about rocket science but fitting a PVC door and frame is not an "extremely simple" job which is the level of work the OP has said he would be confident in doing.

It's all about confidence but experience is also a great teacher, safety is numero uno and it is an awkward job. Then you have choice of fixings, do you use the old holes or drill new ones, getting the frame level and plumb, using packers, where to start fixing to the wall, even a simple thing like tightening one fixing too much could bow the frame and the door won't close properly.

It's very easy to do a quick google and think you can do anything but things can and do go wrong, even for a professional contractor that does nothing else day in day out it's a two man job so it's not a job a novice DIY'er should attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I know nothing about rocket science but fitting a PVC door and frame is not an "extremely simple" job which is the level of work the OP has said he would be confident in doing.

It's all about confidence but experience is also a great teacher, safety is numero uno and it is an awkward job. Then you have choice of fixings, do you use the old holes or drill new ones, getting the frame level and plumb, using packers, where to start fixing to the wall, even a simple thing like tightening one fixing too much could bow the frame and the door won't close properly.

It's very easy to do a quick google and think you can do anything but things can and do go wrong, even for a professional contractor that does nothing else day in day out it's a two man job so it's not a job a novice DIY'er should attempt.

Solid advice Rows Grower, I appreciate it.

Whilst I'm not adverse to having a go and have surprised myself with some of the DIY tasks I've managed to successfully undertake over the years I think fitting a used PVC door frame and door would be well outside my comfort zone and I'd likely end up buying and disposing of a used PVC door & frame, eating some humble pie and then getting a professional to do it.

Think I might just bite the bullet and skip straight to getting a professional to do it as I want a solution which will last.

Advertisement