Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Shock Poll' Sinn Fein now on 35%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

There is nothing wrong with calling for investigations into political party finances. I support that myself. Who knows what lurks in SF basket.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There is nothing wrong with calling for investigations into political party finances. I support that myself. Who knows what lurks in SF basket.
    Everybody should support it. Investigate one, investigate them all.
    It's very, very unlikely that all parties would come out of it clean. There are no bonus points for being less dirty, or for having less money unaccounted for.
    Who know what lurks in the FG or FF basket for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Suckit wrote: »
    It's very, very unlikely that all parties would come out of it clean. There are no bonus points for being less dirty, or for having less money unaccounted for.

Eh, Moriarty and McCracken reports might be a good place to start for Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo has gone full on meltdown mode now.

I'd say the shinners will relish their finances being probed, FG not so much.

Probe one - probe all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's all in here. Except any record of massive donations to the SF party. As I said before it is ripe for some journalists to do an investigation of what is going on.

https://www.sipo.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Yeah,i wonder are FG still paying FG office workers cash under the counter?

It's all in here. Except any record of massive donations to the SF party. As I said before it is ripe for some journalists to do an investigation of what is going on.

https://www.sipo.ie/

Unlikely it's all in there. Best thing would be to investigate all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Unlikely it's all in there. Best thing would be to investigate all of them.

They are not a police organisation. But they have referred politicians to the Gardai for breaking the law at election times, by failing to do their returns. Not the main parties, but the micro parties and independents.

Anyone with evidence of wrongdoing by political parties can bring it to the authorities. But if Left politicians are fooling the public by claiming to live on small money, then that is an open goal for journalists to go after.

They are not a police organisation. But they have referred politicians to the Gardai for breaking the law at election times, by failing to do their returns. Not the main parties, but the micro parties and independents.

Anyone with evidence of wrongdoing by political parties can bring it to the authorities. But if Left politicians are fooling the public by claiming to live on small money, then that is an open goal for journalists to go after.
    Are you seriously suggesting that that this is a left issue only that should be investigated?
    If any politicians, left, right, centre or underground are hiding any money away for any reasons that could be deemed suspect, then they should be investigated.
    Lets not even attempt to claim that every politician is straight as die except those on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

tipptom wrote: »
    Yeah,i wonder are FG still paying FG office workers cash under the counter?

Did Leo ever hear back from double-jobbing Dara Murphy regarding those fiddled expenses yet I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Did Leo ever hear back from double-jobbing Dara Murphy regarding those fiddled expenses yet I wonder?

Does Leo really want to open that can of worms for all TD's and Political Parties?:D

Floppybits wrote: »
    Does Leo really want to open that can of worms for all TD's and Political Parties?:D

Shinners trolling Leo.
    "These comments are completely fabricated and this is outrageous mud-slinging on the part of the caretaker Taoiseach who is clearly struggling to get to grips with the election results and this weekend's opinion poll," he said.

"These disgraceful and baseless comments discredit the office of Taoiseach and Leo Varadkar really should reflect on them.

Janitor Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Leo really is a petulant teenager. FG should do themselves a favour and get him off the stage.

How long is he planning on dragging out this charade for?
    FF and FG ran their election campaign saying that they would not go into government with SF.
    So be it.
    But now the electorate are waiting for ALL of the parties to step up and form something. They already know it won't include SF - as per wishes of the other two parties.
    Leo may really like that seat, but digging his heels in for an extra few months is pathetic. Either step up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

FF and FG ran their election campaign saying that they would not go into government with SF.
    So be it.
    But now the electorate are waiting for ALL of the parties to step up and form something. They already know it won't include SF - as per wishes of the other two parties.
    Leo may really like that seat, but digging his heels in for an extra few months is pathetic. Either step up or down.
    FF and FG aren't the only parties who won't go in with sinn féin from what I can gather.

FF and FG aren't the only parties who won't go in with sinn féin from what I can gather.
    No need to worry about that for now.
    Everybody can see SF aren't going to be able to go into government at this moment.

What is with the petulance though? Step up or step down. Dragging this out is nonsense. But most detrimental to FG, so I can't see the reason even from their perspective.

He has tried everything in the book, "They are the IRA, They kill people, they bully us and others online, the rallies are a form of intimidation, they need to be investigated by CAB"
    I mean, at this stage it's must be just embarrassing.

Give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So be it.

FF also said it wouldn't go into Government with FG. Double standards if they row back on that now. Their supporters might expect them to stick to their word given the mood in the country. If the do form the grand coalition and they dont solve the housing/health issues in particular both parties will be wiped out at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No need to worry about that for now.
    Everybody can see SF aren't going to be able to go into government at this moment.

What is with the petulance though? Step up or step down. Dragging this out is nonsense. But most detrimental to FG, so I can't see the reason even from their perspective.

He has tried everything in the book, "They are the IRA, They kill people, they bully us and others online, the rallies are a form of intimidation, they need to be investigated by CAB"
    I mean, at this stage it's must be just embarrassing.

Give it up.

Sinn Fein complaining and crying again that the two big boys won't let them play. Well, there are enough others to play the game without the two big boys, but funnily enough, nobody wants to play with Sinn Fein. I wonder why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

blanch152 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein complaining and crying again that the two big boys won't let them play. Well, there are enough others to play the game without the two big boys, but funnily enough, nobody wants to play with Sinn Fein. I wonder why.

Repeating the same nonsense across multiple threads achieves what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The Muppet wrote: »
    FF also said it wouldn't go into Government with FG. Double standards if they row back on that now. Their supporters might expect them to stick to their word given the mood in the country. If the do form the grand coalition and they dont solve the housing/health issues in particular both parties will be wiped out at the next election.

housing is already screwed, the densities they build at are far too low and the are curently wasting huge amounts of land. You are right about a wipe out next election. if they are to stand a chance with housing, it would need to be dramatic change and immediate! And they wouldnt know what the word urgent meant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Traditional enmity between SF and Labour (you can add the Soc Dems and some ex-Labour independent into that mix) means they're not biting the bullet and entering a (difficult numerically) coalition with SF.

A mistake for those parties and the Greens not to push for government with SF as they'll not be thanked by the electorate for joining a grand coalition. and the transfers from SF in the next election could be crucial for the leftist parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Just out of curiosity, who else besides FFG and Labour (who have no interest in entering government with anyone) have specifically said they won't speak to Sinn Fein?

Where is "Sinn Fein complaining and crying again". I have seen you repeat that numerous times, yet you are unable to provide a link when asked, and usually disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Repeating the same nonsense across multiple threads achieves what exactly?

Leo is tweeting it too. Everyone is on message.

Oh yeah Brendan Howlin said labour wouldn't go in with them, pre election, and Brendan is getting the P45.

Not sure if that will be the official stance of the new incoming leader whoever that will be - but labour have so few seats they're an irrelevance anyway.

Had you someone else in mind or was it labour you were hinting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just out of curiosity, who else besides FFG and Labour (who have no interest in entering government with anyone) have specifically said they won't speak to Sinn Fein?

the social democrats and a handful of independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PBP as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Leo is tweeting it too. Everyone is on message.

Hilarious, they have the nerve to accuse others of being brainwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

is_that_so wrote: »
    PBP as well.

did they ? would have thought they'd be onboard for a 'united left' but that said I think the very simple maths of needing a lot of disagreeable independents allows them to take a 'moral high ground'

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    PBP as well.

Try again.

RBB was on with Ivan Yates a week or two ago and said repeatedly they'd have no qualms whatsoever about entering a govt with SF, but at the minute the numbers would be too difficult to make it feasible.

Advertisement