Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Shock Poll' Sinn Fein now on 35%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

did they ? would have thought they'd be onboard for a 'united left' but that said I think the very simple maths of needing a lot of disagreeable independents allows them to take a 'moral high ground'

Nah, opposition for them. They were quick out of the blocks on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Traditional enmity between SF and Labour (you can add the Soc Dems and some ex-Labour independent into that mix) means they're not biting the bullet and entering a (difficult numerically) coalition with SF.

A mistake for those parties and the Greens not to push for government with SF as they'll not be thanked by the electorate for joining a grand coalition. and the transfers from SF in the next election could be crucial for the leftist parties.

Pro Treaty and brought in Section 31

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Suckit wrote: »
    Where is "Sinn Fein complaining and crying again". I have seen you repeat that numerous times, yet you are unable to provide a link when asked, and usually disappear.

Their supporters on here are obsessed with blaming Fine Gael for Sinn Fein's inability to form a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

is_that_so wrote: »
    PBP as well.

Not according to my FB and Twitter which surprised me as there is no love lost between up around Derry.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Try again.

RBB was on with Ivan Yates a week or two ago and said repeatedly they'd have no qualms whatsoever about entering a govt with SF, but at the minute the numbers would be too difficult to make it feasible.

Is that still his position.

My understanding is that Mick Barry isn't with the others on this. Doesn't want to talk to SF.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Their supporters on here are obsessed with blaming Fine Gael for Sinn Fein's inability to form a government.

I think most of us know where lies the 'obsession'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

the social democrats and a handful of independents.

Link? The only parties I read the Social Democrats refusing to enter into talks with were the 'civil war' parties. I could well be wrong!

Which Independents? Not being sarky, I honestly haven't heard of any specifically refusing to talk to Sinn Fein.

It's all in here. Except any record of massive donations to the SF party. As I said before it is ripe for some journalists to do an investigation of what is going on.

https://www.sipo.ie/

Who is paying for all the Sinn Fein ads on Facebook at the moment? No other party is running them, they seem to spend an awful lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Is that still his position.

My understanding is that Mick Barry isn't with the others on this. Doesn't want to talk to SF.

That's not true either.

I believe Mick Barry said that the shinners had their support, but if they went in coalition with FF/FG they'd lose that support which is something completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

So you can't provide a link to "Sinn Fein complaining and crying again", and decide to now point out something else.

Coul you point out where their supporters are "obsessed with blaming Fine Gael for Sinn Fein's inability to form a government"?

It's nonsense talk anyway, so I don't really care tbh.

It's just crap FG tactics when they have no proper response to the more relevant issues.

It used to be "well, remember FF brought the country to it's knees" and "remember the banks" etc..

What about now FG? Right this minute. What are FG doing that is helping the country in any way? Without pointing at others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Who is paying for all the Sinn Fein ads on Facebook at the moment? No other party is running them, they seem to spend an awful lot of money.

Hehehe. :pac:

FG spent 15 X more than them on FB ads. :D

FINE GAEL IS significantly outspending its rivals in the general election campaign when it comes to advertising on Facebook
    Figures made available through the Facebook Ad Library have shown the FG party spent more than €15,000 between promoting adverts from its own page and from Leo Varadkar’s account in the first week of campaigning.

In comparison, Fianna Fáil spent over €2,300 while Sinn Féin spent around €1,100 from 13 to 19 January.
    https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1265760/

That's not true either.

I believe Mick Barry said that the shinners had their support, but if they went in coalition with FF/FG they'd lose that support which is something completely different.

Yep.

https://twitter.com/MickBarryTD/status/1230173133363126278

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The state of this thread.

Sinn Féin don't have the numbers. This is hardly surprising given 75% of the country did not vote for them.

The word on the street in the last few weeks is its a FF/FG/GP government. Mary Lou can troll all she wants. The simple matter is that she will be in opposition.

STB. wrote: »
    The state of this thread.

Sinn Féin don't have the numbers. This is hardly surprising given 75% of the country did not vote for them.

The word on the street in the last few weeks is its a FF/FG/GP government. Mary Lou can troll all she wants. The simple matter is that she will be opposition.

Why don't they get on with it so?

Leo Varadkar should stop wasting time taking pot shots at Sinn Fein and get into bed with FF like we all know he will, despite his earlier protestations to the contrary.

Tick tock. There's a country needs running!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

And in 2018 Sinn Fein spent 210 thousand on advertising in the Irish presidential election, which was 210 thousand more than FG spent or FF spent (which was a bit embarrassing as Peter Casey only spent 119 thousand and wiped the floor with SF) .

Kind of makes sense given that SF is possibly the richest party in the British Isles (certainly the richest on the island of Ireland). It collects income from four different parliaments, has a large source of revenue from the US (even if they did assassinate the guy who was originally in charge of that), and they probably have other sources of income that are porbably not disclosed.

The party itself gets over €4 million a year. Their choice not to spend this capital on election advertising stemmed from the fact that they had done so piss poor in the last three public votes they had conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

We need the GP to support an FG + FF coalition,, so we wipe them out at the next GE. It's a guilt free culling that way.

GP = FG on bikes . It would also give us a chance to drop FG down to 22 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I agree with Mick Barry.

SF or any other party should not touch or even be in the same room as FG/FF.

Lie down with dogs,get up with fleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

SF don't need much, their stuff is being shared like Billyo on Facebook.
    Their is a political revolution taking place here through social media, FF and FG and the others in general are playing catch up with SF on this.
    Their stuff isn't as cool to share.

Why don't they get on with it so?

Leo Varadkar should stop wasting time taking pot shots at Sinn Fein and get into bed with FF like we all know he will, despite his earlier protestations to the contrary.

Tick tock. There's a country needs running!

The formation of governments takes some time. I get the impression that there are a lot of people new to this game that have no clue whatsoever how governments are formed and how long it can take. Bless!

The relevance of post election polls is zero. There are only a few parties who can form a government together. NOBODY wants to go in with SF. The second hurdle is forgetting egos and fulfilling a government as a greater of two evils.

Their is a political revolution taking place here through social media, FF and FG and the others in general are playing catch up with SF on this.

I believe Leo is the one to thank for kickstarting it too.

• Advertisement

The formation of governments takes some time. I get the impression that there are a lot of people new to this game that have no clue whatsoever how governments are formed and how long it can take. Bless!

The relevance of post election polls is zero. There are only a few parties who can form a government together. NOBODY wants to go in with SF. The second question is forgetting egos and fulfilling a government as a greater of two evils.
    Do you have a link for that?

Suckit wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that?

A link ? A fúcking link. :)

Where do you think you are ? Some amateur debating society forum ?

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Would the SF supporters here be happy if FG and FF reversed their decision and decided to go into power with SF?

Would that be satisfactory?

Just curious.

tipptom wrote: »
    I agree with Mick Barry.

SF or any other party should not touch or even be in the same room as FG/FF.

Lie down with dogs,get up with fleas.

As the Greens/Labour found out after their stints.

However, I still believe in democracy and grown ups should make the hard decisions and put petty squabbles aside in order to run their country. Sending one party to coventry is childish in the extreme and will not do them any favours in the long run. I genuinely believe FFG will come to regret not even entering talks with the party that secured the highest number of votes after the election.

On their own heads be it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Not only less cool, they don't have a Helen of Troy figure like Mary Lou,

image.jpg

Not only less cool, they don't have a Helen of Troy figure like Mary Lou,

image.jpg

She posted that at home with her kids who have been told to self isolate after there was a case of corona virus at their school.

Not pretty enough for you? Should she have laquered on the slap to make her message more appealing?

Seriously.

It appears so!

It has previously been debunked that NOBODY wants to speak to Sinn Fein. The poster was merely asking for proof of this claim, seeing as you made it in the first place.

She posted that at home with her kids who have been told to self isolate after there was a case of corona virus at their school.

Not pretty enough for you? Should she have laquered on the slap to make her message more appealing?

Can't see her socks. :)

Seriously.

Yes. Seriously.

You capitalised (Kinda like shouting or doubling down) on your "NOBODY wants to go in with SF"
    I presume you have some sort of proof to back that up?

Or were you just 'guessing'? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

The relevance of post election polls is zero. There are only a few parties who can form a government together. NOBODY wants to go in with SF. The second hurdle is forgetting egos and fulfilling a government as a greater of two evils.

Seriously.

Yes,a fuc*ing link,to back up your statement that nobody wants to go in with SF.

Advertisement