Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Shock Poll' Sinn Fein now on 35%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So many of the FG FF gene pool still very angry. Doesn't seem to be abating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Just learned the work brickbat. Maybe I really am as slow as you claim?

Other than my ideological opinion in relation to SF, nothing at all. However the group-think is strong with the Sinn Fein fanboys. Not a critical word of their beloved party will be stomached. Instead it will be attributed to FFG acolytes. This is hilariously

OUT OF TOUCH (as pjohnson would say)

when it comes to someone like me.

It is totally legitimate for someone to support FF or FG. They'd get shouted down here or elsewhere online. Because I'm clearly not a fan of FF or FG the Sinn Fein fanboys have to out with weak shi*e saying that a point I make is rambling, or (sigh) crying at the sky, or is a hissy fit. I've heard some more dramatic opponents of Sinn Fein claim that Sinn Fein propaganda is 'worthy of Goebbels'. It clearly, clearly ain't.

Just seen a SF supporter on breaking news.ie call Leo a sausage eating twat.

The online abuse is horrible nowadays.

Who's angry:)

It is totally legitimate for someone to support FF or FG. They'd get shouted down here or elsewhere online. Because I'm clearly not a fan of FF or FG the Sinn Fein fanboys have to come out with weak shi*e saying that a point I make is rambling, or (sigh) crying at the sky, or is a hissy fit. I've heard some more dramatic opponents of Sinn Fein claim that Sinn Fein propaganda is 'worthy of Goebbels'. It clearly, clearly ain't.

What the hell is that ramble about. Seriously, have an early night. You are making little to no sense in fairness.

What the hell is that ramble about. Seriously, have an early night. You are making little to no sense in fairness.

More mature debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Just seen a SF supporter on breaking news.ie call Leo a sausage eating twat.

The online abuse is horrible nowadays.

Is Catherine Noone at it again??

Is Catherine Noone at it again??

Deflect deflect deflect.

What about, what about, what about.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Deflect deflect deflect.

What about, what about, what about.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

'Twas merely a joke, relax :p

'Twas merely a joke, relax :p

Ok:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

STB. wrote: »
    Getting elected from buzzwords, and having the ability to have an active role in government are vastly different things. 25% is a minority. 75% is a majority. 75% did not buy into just a buzzword.

The Greens had a 500% increase in returned seats in the election. SF hoovered up the missing Labour Party's vote, the massive void that electorate struggled to fill since post 2011.

And just incase you think I have any political allegiance, I'd put them all on an unmanned boat and let it off to sea. The vast majority are self serving hustlers. :)

Sorry, are you counting FF and FG as one?
    FF and FG individually got less than SF, so 75% did not buy into whatever either one of them were peddling either.
    Either of those having an active role in government will likely be after agreeing to coalesce with each other.
    But they claim to be different. Like it or not, this election has changed a lot of things already.
    I don't assume anyone on here has any political allegiance, and don't make any reference unless they have stated otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Everyone who isn't a SF supporter isn't angry, just bemused by the antics and uttering of some SF supporters.
    I'm from a FF gene pool myself, not a supporter myself but was before.
    However I'm proud of my gene pool, great people.
    What's yours?

Suckit wrote: »

FF and FG individually got less than SF, so 75% did not buy into whatever either one of them were peddling either.

I don't think I have ever once seen a Sinn Fein supporter count FF or FG as one. Nope. Not once. Probably every single time that they post a comment.

I don't assume anyone on here has any political allegiance, and don't make any reference unless they have stated otherwise.

I think that if someone's political posting amounts to a 100% defense of a particular party, and they are actively hostile to anyone who criticizes that party, then they probably have a bit of a political allegiance.

Everyone who isn't a SF supporter isn't angry, just bemused by the antics and uttering of some SF supporters.
    I'm from a FF gene pool myself, not a supporter myself but was before.
    However I'm proud of my gene pool, great people.
    What's yours?

My family were FF, but I have given a first preference to nearly every party at different times. First time voting SF in a GE this time.

And I do get a sense of anger on here. It is very noticeable among some posters.
    I gave a very reasonable answer and got leapt on as a SF Fanboy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't think I have ever once seen a Sinn Fein supporter count FF or FG as one. Nope. Not once. Probably every single time that they post a comment.
    I wouldn't have thought he was a Sinn Fein supporter, but there you go. You never can tell.

I think that if someone's political posting amounts to a 100% defense of a particular party, and they are actively hostile to anyone who criticizes that party, then they probably have a bit of a political allegiance.
    That's one way to look at things. But again, you never can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The preference of a large number of people is not to have either in government but pragmatically that is not possible. So the alternative is to have one of them in government with a left party to temper their excesses and bad governance.

They would need to temper their arrogance. Presenting themselves as a force for good who will cancel out the bad on the other side is not very pragmatic.

My family were FF, but I have given a first preference to nearly every party at different times. First time voting SF in a GE this time.

And I do get a sense of anger on here. It is very noticeable among some posters.
    I gave a very reasonable answer and got leapt on as a SF Fanboy. :)

Ah Francie look at your post history and number of posts supporting SF in the last 6 months!!

Look whatever you do with your time is up to you but don't get annoyed when you're called a SF fanboy:)

You literally never stop here, it's every minute of every day!!

Where do you get the time and the patient wife:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Either of those having an active role in government will likely be after agreeing to coalesce with each other.
    But they claim to be different. Like it or not, this election has changed a lot of things already.

Suckit.

The way voting works in this country is proportional representation, nothing else. The largest party is the one that returns the most seats with any government formation requiring at least 80 seats for a majority.

The pecking order is FF 38. SF 37. FG 35.

37 seats out of 180 is not a majority. The largest single party is clearly FF, but not by much.

Am I saying that FF and FG are the one and the same ? It doesn't matter if I see them as Pepsi and Coke (best analogy I can come up with). What matters is that their policies are closer than anyone else they can (or are willing to) form a government with. Added together that amounts to 73 of the 80 seats required. As distinct from 37.

Ah Francie look at your post history and number of posts supporting SF in the last 6 months!!

Look whatever you do with your time is up to you but don't get annoyed whem you're called a SF fanboy:)

You literally never stop here, it's every minute of every day!!

Where do you get the time and the patient wife:)

You need to catch up with technology Jingle.

As I have said umpteen times, my postings here take up very little of my day. And I am in front of a screen all day everyday and my wife is very happy with the revenue it brings in thanks very much all the same.

Have you anything of substance to contribute yourself? I'd hate to be wasting my time trying to troll threads with the latest FG buzz directives as you are.

You need to catch up with technology Jingle.

As I have said umpteen times, my postings here take up very little of my day. And I am in front of a screen all day everyday and my wife is very happy with the revenue it brings in thanks very much all the same.

Have you anything of substance to contribute yourself? I'd hate to be wasting my time trying to troll threads with the latest FG buzz directives as you are.

As I said Francie.

I applaud you:)

• Advertisement

As I said Francie.

I applaud you:)

I'd prefer if you added some independent thought to the discussion...but clap away in the corner there if that's your thang. ;)

I'd prefer if you added some independent thought to the discussion...but clap away in the corner there if that's your thang. ;)

I will thanks!!

I wouldn't have thought he was a Sinn Fein supporter, but there you go. You never can tell.

Look, what I'm doing here is calling out Sinn Fein hypocrisy. It is entirely appropriate for a party and supporters who so often say contradictory things.

They use personal attacks all the time, but rear up as soon as it is reflected back on them. Claim FFFFFG is the same party if you want, but be prepared for the combined vote of FF and FG being almost double that of SF's. If the claim that FF and FG are the same party because they are left leaning republican parties with large machinery who are only interested in getting into power, then I'd say a look in the mirror is also required in that department.

That's one way to look at things. But again, you never can tell.

You can always tell. Most of these people here are entirely transparent in their allegiance. It is binary. Sinn Fein is always of the mind 'you are either with us or against us' but in truth this tends to be the case with online discussion anyway.

I actually want a political shakeup but I am concerned about Sinn Fein's ideological position, and general competence. They have long established that they tend to place ideology before pragmatism (not exclusively, but mostly). The Sinn Fein supporters here are not really interested in discussing Sinn Fein other than generating more noise for their party. At best they are sophists, or at worst just screeching at their opponents (calling them mad, loopy, west-brits, whatever). They are little more than meat puppets, and the paucity of their political position should be highlighted. The fact that Sinn Fein has had such a rough relationship with the truth merely adds to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You can always tell. Most of these people here are entirely transparent in their allegiance. It is binary. Sinn Fein is always of the mind 'you are either with us or against us' but in truth this tends to be the case with online discussion anyway.

I actually want a political shakeup but I am concerned about Sinn Fein's ideological position, and general competence. They have long established that they tend to place ideology before pragmatism (not exclusively, but mostly). The Sinn Fein supporters here are not really interested in discussing Sinn Fein other than generating more noise for their party. At best they are sophists, or at worst just screeching at their opponents (calling them mad, loopy, west-brits, whatever). They are little more than meat puppets, and the paucity of their political position should be highlighted.

So they have principles and thats a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I will thanks!!

When you add your independent thoughts, be prepared for a barrage of what about the other side, look what they done. You won't get any acceptance that SF are ever in the wrong.

Odhinn wrote: »
    So they have principles and thats a problem?

The substance of those principles is more the problem, but having a position that the ends justify the means is in itself typically immoral.

Look, what I'm doing here is calling out Sinn Fein hypocrisy. It is entirely appropriate for a party and supporters who so often say contradictory things.

They use personal attacks all the time, but rear up as soon as it is reflected back on them. Claim FFFFFG is the same party if you want, but be prepared for the combined vote of FF and FG being almost double that of SF's. If the claim that FF and FG are the same party because they are left leaning republican parties with large machinery who are only interested in getting into power, then I'd say a look in the mirror is also required in that department.

I actually want a political shakeup but I am concerned about Sinn Fein's ideological position, and general competence. They have long established that they tend to place ideology before pragmatism (not exclusively, but mostly). The Sinn Fein supporters here are not really interested in discussing Sinn Fein other than generating more noise for their party. At best they are sophists, or at worst just screeching at their opponents (calling them mad, loopy, west-brits, whatever). They are little more than meat puppets, and the paucity of their political position should be highlighted. The fact that Sinn Fein has had such a rough relationship with the truth merely adds to this.

This is just funny now.

Person calling Shinners out goes on to call them 'meat puppets'. :)

Not sure what a 'meat puppet' it is but I'd be fairly sure it's a 'screeching' insult.

This is just funny now.

Person calling Shinners out goes on to call them 'meat puppets'. :)

Not sure what a 'meat puppet' it is but I'd be fairly sure it's a 'screeching' insult.

Have you anything of substance to contribute yourself? I'd hate to be wasting my time trying to troll threads with the latest SF buzz directives as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

is_that_so wrote: »
    PBP as well.

PBP voted for Mary Lou as Taoiseach.

The Social Democrats continue to talk to SF.

As do many independents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I actually want a political shakeup but I am concerned about Sinn Fein's ideological position, and general competence.

Well I'm concerned about FF and FG's ideological position which has never been entirely stable since the foundation of the state, but in the last decade especially has been going further into an Ayn Randian economic liberal direction. Selling off State assets, bemoaning people on welfare etc.

I used to be averse to SF because I thought they were Marxist extremists. But I dont think they are anymore.

Its now very easy for them to gobble up the left-centre ground since no one else wants it.

They may or may not be competent administrators.

Advertisement