Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Shock Poll' Sinn Fein now on 35%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So mary Lou is lying when she's saying she's trying to form a government without FF and FG as the numbers aren't there??

Once again thanks for clearing that up.

She is lying to the electorate.

She simply can’t.

She needs 80 seats. fF and FG have 78 ish ( can’t Reacall of hand) and some of the others won’t support her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Pretty unbelievable numbers coming out of the Sunday Times Behaviour and Attitudes poll in tomorrows newspaper

Sinn Fein 35% (up 10%)
    Fianna Fail 20% (down 2%)
    Fine Gael 18% (down 3%)

I guess lots of people werent intimidated by those Sinn Fein public meetings like Leo said because they've only gone and added another 10% to their general election result. That strongly suggests there is a cohort of people out there who didnt vote for Sinn Fein in the recent election but now wish that they did and they will do so if given another opportunity.

I'd say this poll will have alarm bells going off in FF and FG headquarters tonight and from Monday we will see them both scrambling to get into government together ASAP. Because if theres another election due to both of them refusing to marry up on the basis of civil war politics then their polling numbers will go even further down the toilet.
    Because of Covid 19 there might not be another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So you can't answer my question so you resort to insults.

As I said she has lied and is still lying by stating she's trying to form a government without FF and FG.

Because as you have just said, it's impossible.

That's your words.

I think that's settled unless you want to throw anymore insults my way?

What are you on about? Your trying to set up some sort of a gotcha moment. You were the first person to say "are you calling Mary Lou a liar?" and now you seem to be holding it against people? Definition of a straw man argument.

FG got the least number of the big parties, they should really be in opposition. SF are declaring themselves the winner but they got a similar number of seats to FF and indeed FG. I think the onus is on SF and FF to lead the talks. All parties are hamstrung by the fact they distanced themselves from each other during the election. Someone (FF/FG/SF) will have to compromise or else it's another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

There will most likely be another election imo. Sf seem to be planning for this already, organising rallies around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I didn't clear anything up for you, as you be will at the exact same carry on tomorrow and the next day. Your behaviour is actually pathetic, I really hope you're not an adult with responsibility for others.

Have you finished the bag of popcorn already?

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »

Or because the electorate.

A centre government could be formed tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

baldbear wrote: »
    FF/fg have 70. They could look at the technical group of 9 and the 2 Healy brothers. Or just go straight after the greens which would be a clearer route. The greens will be easily bought.

The greens are toxic to many rural FF and FG TDs. I expect FF and FG with one of the technical groups along with a few bought and paid for Indos to form a government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We will all be dead of deh vyrusss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

These numbers mean nothing.FF have the most seats.SF second and can't form a government.
    FF/FG will do a deal and see the next 5 years out.
    No SF and FF have the same amount of seats as you don't count the ceann comhairle.

The greens are toxic to many rural FF and FG TDs. I expect FF and FG with one of the technical groups along with a few bought and paid for Indos to form a government.

The Greens will have to be involved if there's to be a ff/fg coalition or both parties are finished realistically

• Advertisement

Have you finished the bag of popcorn already?

I did, btw the greens only have 12 TDs not 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    There will most likely be another election imo. Sf seem to be planning for this already, organising rallies around the country?

I don't think so. FF/FG will loose seats and.who wants to loose a 100k+ job a year?

They know FF/FG are getting the bed prepped to get in together so are having these mass events. I think it will actually backfire and cement FF/Fg (the dark forces)

Someone (FF/FG/SF) will have to compromise or else it's another election.

But 2 are centre with similar policies and 1 is left with policies that are off the wall.

A mandate for housing and health yet they come out if the blocks chasing a untied Ireland. Then it’s discovered that Northern Ireland where SF are in power has the mostly homeless deaths in the uk

The Greens will have to be involved if there's to be a ff/fg coalition or both parties are finished realistically

FF and FG have alot of convincing to do of their rural members, because rural voters also matter at election time and alot of rural voters don't trust the greens to do anything other than levy taxes.

I don't think so. FF/FG will loose seats and.who wants to loose a 100k+ job a year?

They know FF/FG are getting the bed prepped to get in together so are having these mass events. I think it will actually backfire and cement FF/Fg (the dark forces)

I actually believe SF want to force FF/FG together to remove the pretence that has existed for years. The largest party of opposition is I firmly believe SF's goal. It's a long game strategy.

That's true. They appear to be completely out of touch with rural reality.

No SF and FF have the same amount of seats as you don't count the ceann comhairle.

Many independents or other parties are FF Ir FG lite who separated at Gay marriage and abortion but would side with them

I actually believe SF want to force FF/FG together to remove the pretence that has existed for years. The largest party of opposition is I firmly believe SF's goal. It's a long game strategy.

Which is why FG may sit back and watch them fail in government

That's true. They appear to be completely out of touch with rural reality.

Which policies do you feel they'd be at odds with the most?

ted1 wrote: »

But that would mean another election? FF/SF will not happen, 100%

• Advertisement

I think it's inevitable that they will be in government soon. They have really played the long game well. Once all the old gun men and bombakers leave the dail then they will get more votes in future elections.

But that would mean another election? FF/SF will not happen, 100%

They’d abstain from voting against Ml and met them lead a minority government and the pull the plug when it favours them.

Which policies do you feel they'd be at odds with the most?

I think Eamon Ryans suggestion of reintroducing the wolf to rural Ireland painted him as a nutjob to many people outside the pale.
    When he suggested that I was actually amazed so many got elected under the green banner. They are an urban party .

I think Eamon Ryans suggestion of reintroducing the wolf to rural Ireland painted him as a nutjob to many people outside the pale.
    When he suggested that I was actually amazed so many got elected under the green banner. They are an urban party .

I feel a lot of his points are taking out of context to make good sound bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Coalition is not the same as forcing parties to merge. And despite the moves to populism in Europe and America, I think Ireland is still like many countries, a majority in the centre. But with more than one party occupying that space in parliaments.

SF could gobble up the various Marxist groups we have and still be true to their roots.

I think there's a huge divide in Ireland at the minute. Have you done any research into why he felt like that might be a good idea? It's been done in several countries in the EU with success, hence why he made the comments he did. Ireland isn't ready for that type of radical action re habits though, and him failing to realise that definitely alienated him in the eyes of farmers/old rural folk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I heard Mary Lou 2 days ago saying she is trying to form a government without FF and FG.

Once again ill ask you, if the numbers aren't there why is she still trying to do this?

Is she bad at maths or is she lying?

Please answer my question.

For optics. She has to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Since you don't believe the numbers, what do you think the real ones are?

Google "General election result 2020"

ted1 wrote: »

It's a stand off, SF are trying to force FF and FG into government. FG is trying to force SF and FF into government. The losers here will be FF. Martin is desperate to lead government his only option is FG, but Leo is holding out. A heavy price will be extracted for MM to get the gig. We may finally end up with a proper choice.

• Advertisement

Coalition is not the same as forcing parties to merge. And despite the moves to populism in Europe and America, I think Ireland is still like many countries, a majority in the centre. But with more than one party occupying that space in parliaments.

SF could gobble up the various Marxist groups we have and still be true to their roots.

SF has rendered Labour obsolete and once they become more normalised with the middle/upper class, will eradicate them completely

Advertisement