Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Shock Poll' Sinn Fein now on 35%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I heard Mary Lou 2 days ago saying she is trying to form a government without FF and FG.

Once again ill ask you, if the numbers aren't there why is she still trying to do this?

Is she bad at maths or is she lying?

Please answer my question.

You can try, but the numbers aren't there.

SF have said this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I think there's a huge divide in Ireland at the minute. Have you done any research into why he felt like that might be a good idea? It's been done in several countries in the EU with success, hence why he made the comments he did. Ireland isn't ready for that type of radical action re habits though, and him failing to realise that definitely alienated him in the eyes of farmers/old rural folk
    I don't need to research why an idiot would say something stupid.
    How do you think wolves would interact with sheep and calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's a stand off, SF are trying to force FF and FG into government. FG is trying to force SF and FF into government. The losers here will be FF. Martin is desperate to lead government his only option is FG, but Leo is holding out. A heavy price will be extracted for MM to get the gig. We may finally end up with a proper choice.

I think Leo will be replaced by SC either now or in a power play that happens after they let SF form a minority government

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

With the forced coalition necessary in the North, and the involvement of the South meaning our Ministers going there regularly to make an input into government, will we see the same in reverse if SF are in government here?

Regular visits from SF MP's and MLA's to have their say in the way things are being done. Given that Mary Lou had one of her rallies in Newry, I expect that it will be the case.

With the forced coalition necessary in the North, and the involvement of the South meaning our Ministers going there regularly to make an input into government, will we see the same in reverse if SF are in government here?

Regular visits from SF MP's and MLA's to have their say in the way things are being done. Given that Mary Lou had one of her rallies in Newry, I expect that it will be the case.

The first part of your comment is covered by the good Friday agreement.
    The second part of your comment is covered by the Bullsh*t definition.

• Advertisement

Who knows what hey have unelected members on their negotiating team. They are not a normal Democratic Party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I don't need to research why an idiot would say something stupid.
    How do you think wolves would interact with sheep and calves?

Eamon Ryan is no fool, but he may be out of touch re Irish farmers in rural areas.

Eamon Ryan is no fool, but he may be out of touch re Irish farmers in rural areas.

I think farming in Ireland will change greatly over the next few years. Vegan , flexiteran, vegetarian, pescatarian etc is on the rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Second poll in a row showing a +10 for SF

I can't wait for the next Varadkar/Martin pearl clutching lunatic outburst to hoof SF over the 40% mark.

LOL.

The first part of your comment is covered by the good Friday agreement.
    The second part of your comment is covered by the Bullsh*t definition.

One of the other SF posters here thinks a SF government will mean the return of the city of Derry to Irish administration. I could easily see an input from the North to make that happen.

• Advertisement

For a politician to be so out of touch with such a large segment of the population suggests he is either an idiot or is only interested in working on behalf of a small section of the population living in cities and large towns.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Second poll in a row showing a +10 for SF

I can't wait for the next Varadkar/Martin pearl clutching lunatic outburst to hoof SF over the 40% mark.

LOL.

You're so uncouth.

For a politician to be so out of touch with such a large segment of the population suggests he is either an idiot or is only interested in working on behalf of a small section of the population living in cities and large towns.

He knows who his demographic are and appreciates the fact that the issues they're concerned with will most likely differ greatly from that of rural farmers. If the green party didn't advocate for the environment/Irish ecology, they'd be as lost as FF are atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

You're so uncouth.
    Oh Sheila, shut up and go to bed and say your prayers.

One of the other SF posters here thinks a SF government will mean the return of the city of Derry to Irish administration. I could easily see an input from the North to make that happen.

Other SF posters? You think I'm posting on behalf of SF, lol. All I'm doing is posting my own thoughts and opinions. My vote has always gone to an independent for the simple reason no party containing a bunch of nodding donkeys are worthy of my vote.
    The present carry on about government formation is a game with SF and FG trying to force FF down a certain path.

He knows who his demographic are and appreciates the fact that the issues they're concerned with will most likely differ greatly from that of rural farmers. If the green party didn't advocate for the environment/Irish ecology, they'd be as lost as FF are atm

Which is why outside of Dublin and a few large towns they are toxic and will never be a force for change, just getting the odd scrap in return for support.

Other SF posters? You think I'm posting on behalf of SF, lol. All I'm doing is posting my own thoughts and opinions. My vote has always gone to an independent for the simple reason no party containing a bunch of nodding donkeys are worthy of my vote.
    The present carry on about government formation is a game with SF and FG trying to force FF down a certain path.

Some independent candidates are so hapless that they get only a few dozen votes. The public can recognise donkeys easily enough.

Which is why outside of Dublin and a few large towns they are toxic and will never be a force for change, just getting the odd scrap in return for support.

Ireland is changing rapidly. The Greens elected candiates in Limerick, Carlow-Kilkenny, Wicklow and Waterford. Saorise McHugh in Mayo also put in a strong performance, along with many others around the country. Ireland has ratified the Paris Agreement and if we don't sort out our CO2 emissions, we'll be footing the bill. Why would the country suffer financially to please a small minority or Irish farmers who refuse to acknowledge/act re climate change? I fully support farmers but it's all about give and take.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Did you tell Mary Lou that?????

She told us she was trying to form a government with other left wing parties.

Are you calling her a liar???

You just said the numbers aren't there.

You or Mary Lou are obviously spoofing.

Which one is it?

God that's boring

Some independent candidates are so hapless that they get only a few dozen votes. The public can recognise donkeys easily enough.

The Independent candidate I voted for in the last two elections got returned, I don't share his views on some issues but I find agreement with him on enough to feel ok to vote for him. Prior to him his predecessor got my vote before he went to Europe .

• Advertisement

The Independent candidate I voted for in the last two elections got returned, I don't share his views on some issues but I find agreement with him on enough to feel ok to vote for him. Prior to him his predecessor got my vote before he went to Europe .

This country would be in much better hands if all politicians were like Ming! Integrity galore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Pretty unbelievable numbers coming out of the Sunday Times Behaviour and Attitudes poll in tomorrows newspaper

Sinn Fein 35% (up 10%)
    Fianna Fail 20% (down 2%)
    Fine Gael 18% (down 3%)

I guess lots of people werent intimidated by those Sinn Fein public meetings like Leo said because they've only gone and added another 10% to their general election result. That strongly suggests there is a cohort of people out there who didnt vote for Sinn Fein in the recent election but now wish that they did and they will do so if given another opportunity.

I'd say this poll will have alarm bells going off in FF and FG headquarters tonight and from Monday we will see them both scrambling to get into government together ASAP. Because if theres another election due to both of them refusing to marry up on the basis of civil war politics then their polling numbers will go even further down the toilet.

Down here in the west this weekend with my traditionally FF family party members and they are spitting at the mouth about them.

They were massive activists in the area at one point. SF it is for them. I've been trying to convince for Soc Dems.

Any word yet on who is going to replace Matt Carthy?

That system of co-opting cronies on to Councils and to the European Parliament is surely one that SF will want to Change. But maybe not since they were happy enough to keep the system in the North for a long time that gives cheap Property Tax to the owners of multi million pound mansions. The tax has a ceiling based on a valuation of £400K.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That system of co-opting cronies on to Councils and to the European Parliament is surely one that SF will want to Change. But maybe not since they were happy enough to keep the system in the North for a long time that gives cheap Property Tax to the owners of multi million pound mansions. The tax has a ceiling based on a valuation of £400K.
    Applies to all parties. Are your sour lemons just directed at SF however?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,044 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can't change the European one as the replacement list system is pan-European and Europe as a whole are never going to go for by-elections.

Also, Stormont uses co-options.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-caoimhe-n%C3%AD-shlu%C3%A1in-faces-prospect-of-being-mep-1.4167132 should be getting it based on the submitted replacement list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

SF will win a clear majority if it goes to another election. That's what this poll says.

Let's not deny it or fire slander at them because it is only causing harm.

FWIW I am not a SF supporter. FG also need to sack their strategic advisors /consultants ASAP.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    SF will win a clear majority if it goes to another election. That's what this poll says.

Let's not deny it or fire slander at them because it is only causing harm.

FWIW I am not a SF supporter. FG also need to sack their strategic advisors /consultants ASAP.

No, they'd probably still be quite a bit under 80 seats and need either a coalition partner or a C&S partner in the more traditional sense (actually allowed vote against them on the majority of bills rather than abstain)

The most plausible would be whatever shelled wrecks are left of the Greens, Soc Dems, Labour and if anyones left at all from SPBP abstaining on the election of a Taoiseach and bartering for vote by vote support when required.

What there wouldn't be is any coherent majority not including them. Even a desperate ABSF government would not get everyone on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

L1011 wrote: »
    No, they'd probably still be quite a bit under 80 seats and need either a coalition partner or a C&S partner in the more traditional sense (actually allowed vote against them on the majority of bills rather than abstain)

The most plausible would be whatever shelled wrecks are left of the Greens, Soc Dems, Labour and if anyones left at all from SPBP abstaining on the election of a Taoiseach and bartering for vote by vote support when required.

Or.... Fg/FF go into govt together and solve the housing/ health and homeless problem and deflect all those people who are or are considering voting SF.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Or.... Fg/FF go into govt together and solve the housing/ health and homeless problem and deflect all those people who are or are considering voting SF.

In the hypothetical of that poll, they would be twenty seats short and not a hope of getting them.

Right now, that's about their only hope of survival but its probably ideologically impossible for them to agree let alone actually do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

My suggestion is build a guillotine outside dail. Start chopping old crew. Then offer massive money for replacements but same consequences. Bigger rewards for better results. High risk thou. Old school politics :)

Advertisement