Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Shock Poll' Sinn Fein now on 35%

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The upcoming next recession will sort out this mess.
    When the majority of this country are financially struggling and there is not enough resources to include them in the welfare net (i.e. no money left), then there will be adequate resolve to finally get the country's affairs in order.

It should be no surprise to anyone why SF is surging in the polls.
    With their post-election rhetoric, it is obvious that FFG did not listen to the voters in the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well it is a similar situation to Thuringia in Germany, with the question being whether the CDU will blink and go back on their word to go into government with the AfD (who they have sworn not to go into government with) or Die Linke (which would have traditionally been considered unthinkable). If they agree to going into government with the AfD their supporters who hate the AfD will be upset. However the AfD will be happy to see the place in the chaos of a hung parliament, claiming that it is not legitimate they be excluded from government.

It seems to be working. CDU supporters who cannot stomach the AfD are now backing Die Linke. We may get the same thing here. Most FG voters would feel the same way about SF as CDU supporters feel about the AfD. However, if FG won't get into bed with FF because it isn't open to losing power to its traditional rival, perhaps FG voters will flock to FF as the next best option.

We all know that SF doesn't want to be a junior coalition partner, and neither FF or FG (and probably not Greens or Labour) want to be seen as the party that let the Slab Murphies into power, so SF not getting into government suits all three (FF, FG, and SF) for the time being. The question is what will things be like 6 months from now?

The point is that FF or even FG are not concerned about SF's past in reality.

What both of them are 'concerned about' is maintaining power. Hence Martin 'opening the door' when he thought he could form a coalition where he held the power by virtue of seat numbers.

When he ended up with parity he climbed back up on the moral high ground and has set his eyes on the breaking of his other promise...not to coalesce with FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

No-one cares about SF's past. We're concerned about their present. Such as the established view of the Guards & PSNI that the Provo Army Council oversee the party. That is happening now, today. As we speak.

Or the fact the their members applaud a man known to have murdered a Guard. Again, that is happening in the present.

Do the SF cheerleaders on here have any moral qualms at all about the above? Are the millennials even aware of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

meeeeh wrote: »
    That type of reply is typical for people who follow this stuff like an excited puppy only when they get the news they like to hear.

It's a good poll for SF if election was tomorrow.

Oh I’ve been following politics for a long time now. Polls displaying bad news for SF were excitedly greeted on here for years, as were bad election results. Now that the tables have turned polls are suddenly questioned and met with warnings about trouble ahead. Along with bleating about going into government ignorant of the numbers involved.

This poll (and the Daily Mail one from a couple of weeks ago) indicate that it’s time for FFG to play a different tune. Whining and sulking isn’t currying favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No-one cares about SF's past. We're concerned about their present. Such as the established view of the Guards & PSNI that the Provo Army Council oversee the party. That is happening now, today. As we speak.

Or the fact the their members applaud a man known to have murdered a Guard. Again, that is happening in the present.

Do the SF cheerleaders on here have any moral qualms at all about the above? Are the millennials even aware of it?
    35% for SF in the latest opinion poll, what concerns you doesn't seem to bother alot of people including millennials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't give a flying fcuk if its Left wing, Right wing, Up wing, Down wing.

I just want a government that is honourable, not corrupt, not self-serving, not wasteful, has vision, straight talking, works hard, fires crap senior public servants, admits mistakes, does the right thing not the vote getting thing, not cronyist....I could on.

Kinda unlike what FF and FG did for the past few decades.

It would be very unrepresentative of the electorate. What they really really want is a Celtic Tiger, a house that keeps increasing in value and another one in Spain. Pension increases of €10 a year, and SSIA type interest on their savings. That was proved by Bertie getting in three times in a row.

All the other stuff about concern for the homeless and people on trolleys is just to make them feel good about themselves. Any government which does not deliver another Tiger, will lose the next time. Low inflation, low unemployment and low emigration, the Holy Grails of past aspirations, are not enough for those who got a Tiger in their lives.

35% for SF in the latest opinion poll, what concerns you doesn't seem to bother alot of people including millennials.

Says a lot about millennials if they know everything i wrote about SF and still support them. I'd bet many of them don't especially the new voters.

Anyway, the next vote won't be for another 5 years, hopefully they'll have grown up by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

35% of the electorate are economic illiterates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is any of them realistic ffs

They are guidelines and give you an idea of what you are voting for.

SF had something for everything, except the Greens :-) but the bigger thing was the "change" messaging. It's been so simple and effective as change means everything and nothing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

FFG have been banging this drum ad nauseum both throughout and after the election. The fact is, going by today's poll, it has only strengthened SF's support. Voters under 65 clearly don't care about that message as much as you would like them to.

What 'millenials' are aware of is being unable to buy a house, paying crippling fees for childcare, looking into a future of working for longer and looking into a rental abyss well into their 60's and above.

Do people not have qualms about a party who brought this country into a recession and yet it's leader completely refuses to acknowledge why over a quarter of a million citizens of this country voted for the alternative? Indeed refuses to acknowledge them at all.

There are a myriad of issues why people flocked to SF, the one issue you and FFG keep banging on about clearly isn't resonating with voters - maybe it's time to dial down that particular rhetoric and deal with the issues people do actually care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It would be very unrepresentative of the electorate. What they really really want is a Celtic Tiger, a house that keeps increasing in value and another one in Spain. Pension increases of €10 a year, and SSIA type interest on their savings. That was proved by Bertie getting in three times in a row.

All the other stuff about concern for the homeless and people on trolleys is just to make them feel good about themselves. Any government which does not deliver another Tiger, will lose the next time. Low inflation, low unemployment and low emigration, the Holy Grails of past aspirations, are not enough for those who got a Tiger in their lives.

Nah, they just want to have a roof over their head and not be constantly stressed about such a fundamental issue. They want to be able to afford childcare. They want to know their parent can get a scan to potentially confirm a life threatening health issue in good time. And they probably give a damn about people dying in the streets.

And all FFG seem to be doing is pearl clutching about stuff from over a quarter of a century ago.

Keep going.

Says a lot about millennials if they know everything i wrote about SF and still support them. I'd bet many of them don't especially the new voters.

You do know the range for millennials is 20 to 40 year olds, right?

Anyway, the next vote won't be for another 5 years, hopefully they'll have grown up by then.

The next GE will take place well before 5 years.

Yet it was FF who dragged the country into a recession, not SF. How would anyone who then votes FF be considered economically literate?

What's the definition of insanity again...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah FFS, I’m a millennial. Worked through graduating into a recession, cut hedges and stacked shelves when I couldn’t use my degree. House shared kips, did the lot. Eventually bought a house, paid the crippling childcare. Been there, got up off my arse, done that.

Wouldn’t vote SF if they were the only party on the ballot paper. Made damn sure they were at the rock bottom of my vote.

It’s not the millennials voting SF. It’s the Entited.

This thread is hilarious lads, keep up the worthy endeavour. SF clearly have a few of the regulars rattled, sooner the next election lands the better. Then we'll see if the poll numbers stack up.

Thank you for making me laugh. The hilarity is infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I always keep a tin of glee handy for such occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

This thread is hilarious lads, keep up the worthy endeavour. SF clearly have a few of the regulars rattled, sooner the next election lands the better. Then we'll see if the poll numbers stack up.

The usual spew of nothingness is never far away is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

FFG have been banging this drum ad nauseum both throughout and after the election. The fact is, going by today's poll, it has only strengthened SF's support. Voters under 65 clearly don't care about that message as much as you would like them to.

What 'millenials' are aware of is being unable to buy a house, paying crippling fees for childcare, looking into a future of working for longer and looking into a rental abyss well into their 60's and above.

Do people not have qualms about a party who brought this country into a recession and yet it's leader completely refuses to acknowledge why over a quarter of a million citizens of this country voted for the alternative? Indeed refuses to acknowledge them at all.

There are a myriad of issues why people flocked to SF, the one issue you and FFG keep banging on about clearly isn't resonating with voters - maybe it's time to dial down that particular rhetoric and deal with the issues people do actually care about.

And the SF response is to always tell us to shut up about it....

No thanks, we'll keep reminding people over and over again about:

1) Current Provo Army Council overseeing SF
    2) Their current members applauding Garda killers.

I know it's a sore point for you and you'd like us to shut up about it, but well tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I think you'll find Fianna Failures are polling at a lot less than that.

• Advertisement

I know it's a sore point for you and you'd like us to shut up about it, but well tough.

By all means, keep reminding people. It's clearly a winning strategy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Yet it was FF who dragged the country into a recession, not SF. How would anyone who then votes FF be considered economically literate?

What's the definition of insanity again...?

SF have promised a spending spree that would make even the most opportunistic of FF’s go ‘ah here, hold on a minute lads’.

The money has to come from somewhere. We already spend 40 billion on social welfare and health. We can borrow and increase the national debt, but thankfully that is limited by the EU. So we increase tax. SF won’t touch broadening the tax bands for low earners so guess who is going to pay for things - anyone earning over 35000 a year. And even that only works for a while.

Only an economic dunce would vote for SF. That or someone looking for handouts. God love you if you work for a small business or are self employed. They will milk you dry.

This reminding people , how's it working out? Support for SF dissolving?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah FFS, I’m a millennial. Worked through graduating into a recession, cut hedges and stacked shelves when I couldn’t use my degree. House shared kips, did the lot. Eventually bought a house, paid the crippling childcare. Been there, got up off my arse, done that.

Wouldn’t vote SF if they were the only party on the ballot paper. Made damn sure they were at the rock bottom of my vote.

It’s not the millennials voting SF. It’s the Entited.

That’s the correct description. Too many people doing too little and expecting everything for free. Problem is the other parties aren’t much better and pander to the same electorate (regular 5er more and xmas bonus come to mind)
    Luckily I have a british passport and can bail if SHTF, though I happily pay more tax for a while to have a front row seat when The Troika come in again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Oh I’ve been following politics for a long time now. Polls displaying bad news for SF were excitedly greeted on here for years, as were bad election results. Now that the tables have turned polls are suddenly questioned and met with warnings about trouble ahead. Along with bleating about going into government ignorant of the numbers involved.

This poll (and the Daily Mail one from a couple of weeks ago) indicate that it’s time for FFG to play a different tune. Whining and sulking isn’t currying favour.

Why? Just because SF are gaining it doesn't mean other parties have to go into government with them. There is a chance left wing parties will eventually manage to form the government eventually. Maybe not after this election but eventually but why the desire to include one of the parties they criticize into the government.

It's like some SF voters crave the acceptance of other two big parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

SF have promised a spending spree that would make even the most opportunistic of FF’s go ‘ah here, hold on a minute lads’.

The money has to come from somewhere. We already spend 40 billion on social welfare and health. We can borrow and increase the national debt, but thankfully that is limited by the EU. So we increase tax. SF won’t touch broadening the tax bands for low earners so guess who is going to pay for things - anyone earning over 35000 a year. And even that only works for a while.

Only an economic dunce would vote for SF. That or someone looking for handouts. God love you if you work for a small business or are self employed. They will milk you dry.

It’s not just SF, it’s FFFG too. Irish electorate are largely liberal left leaning. Problem is the payday always comes in a recession. Just hope the next one is without a banking crisis (so no scapegoats). Everything will be on the chopping block :)

They have the advantage in NI that over 30% of employment is in the public service. Way above the UK average and international norms. Ours is around 18% from memory. NI also makes "work" for various community activists, who retired from certain organisations.

It's a model which is necessary for the North, with their SF coalition. But it is not something which would suit here. There could be an increase in the public service, to administer the massive increase in private sector employment. But not up to anywhere near the levels in the North, which SF are used to having.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They have the advantage in NI that over 30% of employment is in the public service. Way above the UK average and international norms. Ours is around 18% from memory. NI also makes "work" for various community activists, who retired from certain organisations.

It's a model which is necessary for the North, with their SF coalition. But it is not something which would suit here. There could be an increase in the public service, to administer the massive increase in private sector employment. But not up to anywhere near the levels in the North, which SF are used to having.

We have something similar here.

It's called the Seanad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Senators are half a notch up from councillors and their opinions. It would be beyond stupid to do so at this moment. What Martin might do, in the near future, is map out a path to a successor.

Advertisement