Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language requirement for safety demonstration.. is English compulsory?

Options
  • 29-02-2020 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Seeing as English is the unofficial official language of the world, is there a requirement for demonstrations to be in English?

For example, if Finnair operates from HEL to Beijing will the demonstration only be in Chinese and Finnish?

If I'm not mistaken, when we went from DUB to Kiev the announcement was only done in English, no Ukrainian.

What if a flight takes place entirely over land, for example, a flight from Luxembourg to Dresden. Are they allowed to skip the lifevest demonstration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I had a flight from Amsterdam to Stavanger a few years back that only had the demo in English.

It was KLM Cityhopper and I believe a Leeds-based crew, though that might be faulty memory on my part. They were definitely English though.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Seeing as English is the unofficial official language of the world, is there a requirement for demonstrations to be in English?

For example, if Finnair operates from HEL to Beijing will the demonstration only be in Chinese and Finnish?

If I'm not mistaken, when we went from DUB to Kiev the announcement was only done in English, no Ukrainian.

What if a flight takes place entirely over land, for example, a flight from Luxembourg to Dresden. Are they allowed to skip the lifevest demonstration?

The Finnair demo on PEK - HEL is multilingual. Mandarin, Finnish, English. It's on the IFE screens. HEL - DUB is Finnish and English. Finnair also make some announcements in Swedish (I think) as it's spoken by a significant enough minority in Finland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Generally it’s always in English pretty much world wide, English is the official language of aviation. Generally it’s then done in the primary language of the country.
    On french domestic flights i think it’s compulsory that the demo is completed in french.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I have had the demo solely in German once on a flight from Bern to AMS

Flown Berlin Moscow and Aeroflot managed to give the demo (manually) in English, German and Russian. Lufthansa always do the demo in English as well as German on domestics.

Aer Lingus on EU routes do the demo in English with a prerecorded version for the local language of origin/destination. On TATL its only English

The ICAO recommendation is the operators language + English + language of origin and destination. The requirement is to use the language(s) which cover the majority of the passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Can they skip the lifevest demonstration if the flight is entirely over land?

I know it only takes a few seconds, so no point skipping. But if they did skip it in that scenario would there be consequences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

In America they don't have life vests in some planes and you are informed that you can use the seat as a flotation device.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Can they skip the lifevest demonstration if the flight is entirely over land?

I know it only takes a few seconds, so no point skipping. But if they did skip it in that scenario would there be consequences?

I think they do in America but I’m not aware of that procedure anywhere in Europe, very very few routes where flights wouldn’t be anywhere near water in Europe so it just makes sense to keep things to standard

Advertisement