Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priti Patel - workplace bully?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

silverharp wrote: »

She is portrayed as acting like a raging bull (in a china shop). Very apt.

Oh I see...because she is of Asian heritage it's open season on twisting it around to something akin to Nazi Germany.

If this was a white politician I guarantee Javid would not be making the same cheap comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

silverharp wrote: »

That image has been edited to remove the caricature of Johnson which is just deceitful on Javid's part.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

jimgoose wrote: »
    It's possible that she has some sort of weird, post-colonial mindset that Orwell would probably have seen in Burma back in the day, where the natives don the uniform of the oppressor and go "Look! I'm as good as you, I can be horrible to brown people too!!" :pac:
    I think it is worth noting that her family are Indian but came to the UK from Uganda. The British Empire brought Indians into east Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania) to "serve as a buffer between Europeans and Africans in the middle rungs of commerce and administration" as well as building the railways. They got preferential treatment from the British and a lot of them were pretty racist towards the native Africans. Huge numbers of Indians were booted out of Uganda by Idi Amin in the early 70s when he came to power, although apparently Priti Patel's family emigrated to the UK before this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Scarinae wrote: »
    I think it is worth noting that her family are Indian but came to the UK from Uganda. The British Empire brought Indians into east Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania) to "serve as a buffer between Europeans and Africans in the middle rungs of commerce and administration" as well as building the railways. They got preferential treatment from the British and a lot of them were pretty racist towards the native Africans. Huge numbers of Indians were booted out of Uganda by Idi Amin in the early 70s when he came to power, although apparently Priti Patel's family emigrated to the UK before this happened.

A bit of a generalisation but grounded in some truth. Indian Ugandans (mostly Gujarati* merchants and traders) have that haughty reputation. Mostly as they weren't at the bottom of the sh*tpile in British controlled Africa and frequently treated 'the natives' with disdain. A bit of a Castle Catholic mentality to use an Irish comparison.

These folks were natural Tories when they relocated to the UK, and many of them are fond of giving other immigrant groups a kick as they are a 'model minority' and others are not apparently.

*Our Leo's pops is of Gujarati stock as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I notice this with a lot of Indians

They seem to want to be more English than the English themselves

It's like a Stockholm Syndrome

Ehh how did the British rule India for so long ?
    They always had the vested interests who benefitted from their rule and some of the poor who were quite willing to do their dirty work and join their armies and police forces.

Much the same happened here.
    Bowie wrote: »
    She's a Hopkins/Morgan type looking to get a higher profile. It's sad but these people flourish in these anti-anti times, by which I mean the right wing fight back against equality and humanitarianism. Worked for Johnson/Trump/Farage etc..

I am really tired of some of this.
    Playing it as all the fault of people fighting back against the good being done by the great ones on the left and fighting back against their sane policies on equality and the like.
    The problem is the pendulum has gone past sane and equal.

The big reason these eejits get power or get traction is because people on the so called left and indeed centre have fooking abandoned their own roots and are now more interested in the humanitarian needs of others or are more interested in playing semantics about what is an isn't a legitimate gender.

Even posters like FTA69, a left winger I would say, admits that the likes of the British labour party has gotten it's head up it's ass in many respects.

And yes there have always been the racists, the old little Englanders, the good old boys from likes of the deep south in the US, but other normal folks are just tired of watching globalisation pass them by, watch their livelihoods and futures disappear all the while being told to suck it up.

And idiots like Trump will triumph in the next election if the moronic democrats get their way and push someone like Sanders out as their candidate.
    And lambasting people, calling them idiots, aint going to convince anyone to change their opinions.

Irish voters have done the same thing except here it has been a turn to the left.
    When people feel abandoned they turn to anyone that offered some type of solution however implausible it may be.

But I guess as sinn feiner you think Irish voters are right to believe in fairytales, but not yanks of Brits.

eland has
    lunacy

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh I see...because she is of Asian heritage it's open season on twisting it around to something akin to Nazi Germany.

If this was a white politician I guarantee Javid would not be making the same cheap comparison.

I'm sure he would because this is the holier-than-thou The Guardian that's involved here. You know the one that likes to tackle the most serious issues of the day like unconscious biases....and even hypocrisy!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2016/nov/17/its-only-wrong-when-you-do-it-the-psychology-of-hypocrisy

The Guardian really should know better. That was funny.

Yurt! wrote: »
    A bit of a generalisation but grounded in some truth. Indian Ugandans (mostly Gujarati* merchants and traders) have that haughty reputation. Mostly as they weren't at the bottom of the sh*tpile in British controlled Africa and frequently treated 'the natives' with disdain. A bit of a Castle Catholic mentality to use an Irish comparison.

These folks were natural Tories when they relocated to the UK, and many of them are fond of giving other immigrant groups a kick as they are a 'model minority' and others are not apparently.

*Our Leo's pops is of Gujarati stock as it happens.

A lot of them were entrepreneurs and started businesses as well and became a focus of racist nationalism when Amin took control.

As many of them came from Kashmir and were Sikhs and Hindus, they couldn’t go to the Pakistan bit and India would not allow them to return.

I’ve several friends who ended up in England via that route and despite being nominally Sikh with a bit of a dark skin, are every bit as English as I am.

Several guys I know have applied for Visas to visit India for work reasons and get refused every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Aegir wrote: »
    A lot of them were entrepreneurs and started businesses as well and became a focus of racist nationalism when Amin took control.

As many of them came from Kashmir and were Sikhs and Hindus, they couldn’t go to the Pakistan bit and India would not allow them to return.

I’ve several friends who ended up in England via that route and despite being nominally Sikh with a bit of a dark skin, are every bit as English as I am.

Several guys I know have applied for Visas to visit India for work reasons and get refused every time.

I'm aware of the above and I would know a couple of Ugandan Indians myself (who are good folks, if not overtly Tory as I mentioned). The Sihks among them were typically in public administration and policing / security roles, and Sihks in diaspora are a politically complex bunch. The Gujaratis (which Patel's folks were) were in the merchant classes broadly speaking, and carry their own reputation even within India. Amin was indeed a nasty piece of work but the racial antipathy was fairly two-way.

The Ugandan Indian business was and is a sticky affair, they were cruelly kicked out of Uganda despite having deep roots, but were secondary beneficiaries of the colonial project, and did very well off the fat of the land, a very bitter time for Africans I'm sure you'll agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

That image has been edited to remove the caricature of Johnson which is just deceitful on Javid's part.

it still looks bad, I doubt they would do a similar one with Black or Muslim politician, maybe a Jewish one :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

and now you see weve come full circle where the narrative the left have invented to stop anyone criticising women and non white people has come back to stop them criticising conservatives.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

She is the British Home Secretary, of course she is a bully, that is what senior politicians do, there is nothing to see here?

It is my understanding that this all part of Johnson's strategy of consolidating his power within his own government. He is rewarding loyalty and would have given her carte blanche to clean house before they start implementing their policies.

Her top civil servant "resigned" and is suing, that will happen. But Johnson already fired his finance minister for not agreeing to clean his house up. I would imagine this is happening to facilitate Dominic Cummings getting his own executive into material positions, all endorsed by Johnson.

Bullying is everywhere, get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

It seems like a rather concerted campaign against her. I have heard it claimed that this has really kicked off in the time since she has been wanting the report into grooming gangs released.
    Much as I'm not a fan of the Torys, I certainly wouldn't trust the permanent government that is the higher levels of the Civil Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Javid playing the race card i.e. any satirical portrayal of a politician who is female and Asian is ergo racist and akin to Nazi Germany.

Really quite pathetic but Javid does cut a pathetic weak figure. I suppose that is racist as well as he is of Asian heritage.

Advertisement