Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part III - 9 cases across the Island - 503 errors abound!! *read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

SusanC10 wrote: »
    So,while the asymptomatic colleagues are self-isolating at home they can mingle with their families at home and the families can continue going to work/school ?

That’s the advice the hse is giving right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

cnocbui wrote: »
    Read this, the mantra about masks being ineffective doesn't pass my BS detector. i have been wearing dust masks when doing a myriad of tasks that generate harmful dust or droplets. They work.
    I’m sure they work, of course you have to wear them properly and know how to put them on and take them off properly, but they do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Read this, the mantra about masks being ineffective doesn't pass my BS detector. i have been wearing dust masks when doing a myriad of tasks that generate harmful dust or droplets. They work.

Makes sense. Are you wearing one when you are out in public now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

"self isolation" = duck and cover

we're gonna need a bigger boat

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Perhaps a silver lining is that stupid people will be culled.

Ha, if only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The self isolation policy is insufficient. It’s just about making the eventual spread the individual’s fault, not the government’s.
    The over the top privacy concerns are a way of pushing that narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Just wondering if you can get Covid 19 from sharing a joint with someone who has it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

afro man wrote: »
    Family of four returned from skiing trip and one adult a doctor in another village.. Worrying now how many people he has been in contact with

That's a nightmare scenario in a small community:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Just wondering if you can get Covid 19 from sharing a joint with someone who has it?

Only if they give you a blow back

For sure, you are sharing saliva.

Jesus, I was wondering that today also :D

I (arduously) drilled an inch wide hole through concrete block in the tiny crawl space that is my garage attic. My throat and chest were fine afterwards. Fit test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Roll your own bro, or else top load her and then pass it :p

You mean like a cafe?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

There's not enough masks out there for everyone that's why they are saying there's no need for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Cuckoo7 wrote: »

Tbf you did say they say they should separate themselves from their family rather than mingle with the family. But even that advice by the HSE is couched in language that shows they’re aware that it’s not as easy ask in a lot of houses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

All the *filtering* masks have ratings, ffp1-3, only ffp3 is rated for viruses. Ffp2 is rated for aerosols but whether that's enough is impossible to say yet, ffp3 is the one to wear.

A surgical mask doesn't filter and won't protect you from inhalation, it might from bringing a contaminated surface into contact with your mouth, if used properly.

None of those masks will protect your eyes which are another point of incorporation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

For some bizarre reason.

Juwwi wrote: »
    There's not enough masks out there for everyone that's why they are saying there's no need for them .

Exactly, these masks are supposed to be single use, and should be left for the healthcare workers properly trained in their use, or those who really need them for their own sake and been shown how to fit them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has anyone read any reports from folk who have had the virus and recovered, to see how bad they said it was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

That's a nightmare scenario in a small community:eek:

Of course. Finishing off fag butts discarded on the street also a bad idea.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Tbf you did say they say they should separate themselves from their family rather than mingle with the family. But even that advice by the HSE is couched in language that shows they’re aware that it’s not as easy ask in a lot of houses.
    Thank god we no longer have tenaments.

If you have a bedroom with an en-suite you may have a chance, if not is a logistic nightmare.
    I read the account of a person who got it in China, he talked about how he used disposable plates and cutlery and had his own bathroom.
    But imagine a family of four sharing a bath, or if more than one person is sick....

All the *filtering* masks have ratings, ffp1-3, only ffp3 is rated for viruses. Ffp2 is rated for aerosols but whether that's enough is impossible to say yet, ffp3 is the one to wear.

A surgical mask doesn't filter and won't protect you from inhalation, it might from bringing a contaminated surface into contact with your mouth, if used properly.

None of those masks will protect your eyes which are another point of incorporation
    I’ve been saying that if you are going to the trouble of wearing one of those masks, wear also eyes protection, that should be the easier to find, a pair of swimming googles would do (you’d have to desinfect them every time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

NIMAN wrote: »
    Has anyone read any reports from folk who have had the virus and recovered, to see how bad they said it was?

Yeah, Welsh lad in Wuhan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If you have a bedroom with an en-suite you may have a chance, if not is a logistic nightmare.
    I read the account of a person who got it in China, he talked about how he used disposable plates and cutlery and had his own bathroom.
    But imagine a family of four sharing a bath, or if more than one person is sick....

There's some disturbing evidence around the whole takin a ****e with this virus.

https://twitter.com/robin_densford/status/1226245726038056963?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DancingSpaniel

Google "I have coronavirus but it hasn't been too bad" for an example. Elderly man, said he'd have kept going to work if he was let.

Roll your own bro, or else top load her and then pass it :p

That's pretty solid advice in any situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/to-hell-and-back-my-three-weeks-suffering-from-coronavirus

• Advertisement

I’ve been saying that if you are going to the trouble of wearing one of those masks, wear also eyes protection, that should be the easier to find, a pair of swimming googles would do (you’d have to desinfect them every time).

Yep I said the same elsewhere.. if you're going to the bother of it (which I don't actually believe is necessary for the vast majority, getting more people to practice better hygiene will help more imo, and in the long run) then you need to do it properly, so goggles and gloves, no touching your phone etc, and also taking the equipment on and off properly without contaminating amything, and like you say disinfecting the goggles and getting news masks

There's some disturbing evidence around the whole takin a ****e with this virus.

That’s disturbing and is going to give me nightmares:(

Masks are likely to be in short supply.
    Ideally you dispose of them after use.
    In a pinch, could you just leave them in front of a window for a few days and then safely reuse them?
    I've found that they still work fine for stone and wood dust after multiple uses.

Yep I said the same elsewhere.. if you're going to the bother of it (which I don't actually believe is necessary for the vast majority, getting more people to practice better hygiene will help more imo, and in the long run) then you need to do it properly, so goggles and gloves, no touching your phone etc, and also taking the equipment on and off properly without contaminating amything

I would have thought if you were worried about picking up the virus through casual contact in urban areas, disposable gloves would be far more protective than a mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

gozunda wrote: »
    So is not washing your hands correctly - but oddly dont see that been continuously rabitted on about

Using a N95 style face mask properly and learning how to use it and to take it off - isn't rocket science. Same as learning how to properly wash your hands...
    Think about how stupid the average person is..... half the people are stupider than that

It’s difficult in a highly regulated bio pharmaceutical facility to make sure that everyone follows the proper procedures, these are all highly informed highly trained staff. For the general public it’s not gonna happen. Nothing will convince Nigel to do basics like flush the toilet, never mind wash his hands with The Who technique at regular intervals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

If that's giving you nightmares imagine how bad it will have gotten by the time the Irish government release the street the infected person lives on, [url=" https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/move-to-weekly-uk-coronavirus-updates-criticised-by-experts"]as South Korea are.[/url]

Exactly, these masks are supposed to be single use, and should be left for the healthcare workers properly trained in their use, or those who really need them for their own sake and been shown how to fit them

Cant depend on the great unwashed ever learning to use them. That and washing hands properly eh? ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

A lot of people don't close the toilet lid when flushing, even in their own house. Disgusting.

In a pinch, could you just leave them in front of a window for a few days and then safely reuse them?
    I've found that they still work fine for stone and wood dust after multiple uses.

I read you should put the mask inside a vacuum closed bag with a silica bag, I wouldn’t risk it but...there you go.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Think about how stupid the average person is..... half the people are stupider than that

It’s difficult in a highly regulated bio pharmaceutical facility to make sure that everyone follows the proper procedures, these are all highly informed highly trained staff. For the general public it’s not gonna happen. Nothing will convince Nigel to do basics like flush the toilet, never mind wash his hands with The Who technique at regular intervals

We're all fooked so ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Makes sense. Are you wearing one when you are out in public now?

No. All the tales from posters about people coughing and sneezing profusely must be a Dublin thing as I haven't observed people lately doing that. Must be the healthy country air. I am using hand sanitising gel, washing my hands and generally keeping them away from my face when out and about.

Much bigger particles though.. also keep away from the sunlight, moisture and temperature changes you'd get at a window, the seal might also deform with reuse

But also, different type of particles.. the mask itself can now be assumed to be contaminated and shouldn't be touched really.. we don't know yet how long the virus could survive inside the material

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beachballz

Guy I work with had his infected area mother in law staying for 2 weeks and didn't inform anybody in the office. That was until he brought in surplus food from home for the team. Food his mother in law brought from her home country. He also showed flu like symptoms, was sent home and did not show up today.

I am pretty sure we are ok since the guy's mother in law has been here 2 weeks and hasn't been diagnosed with an illness. But it did create a scare.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just a question on self-isolation.

Suppose someone in your office tests positive for the virus and everyone is sent home and told to self-isolate.
    Should all the colleagues separate themselves from their own family - husband/wife and kids - as in stay in one room ideally en-suite for the 14 days?
    What about the family members of all the colleagues ? Can they go to work/school ?

Very confused by this.

It's hard one. Who to believe. The HSE or a peer reviewed article in a credible journal.

"A Familial Cluster of Infection Associated With the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Indicating Possible Person-to-Person Transmission During the Incubation Period "

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1229824567918694400?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Oh yes the same crap that's been said on twitter over and over again and posted here as fact when it's a load of BS.

Disturbing evidence? What evidence? Read the bloody article and you would realise there is none.

Read the rules about posting ****e on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

gozunda wrote: »
    We're all fooked so ...

We can’t rely on everyone voluntarily following complex procedures
    We need central government action. Public health announcements can slow the spread allowing the opportunity to implement vaccines or other public health interventions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mainland China had 139 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infections on Wednesday, the country’s National Health Commission said on Thursday, up from 119 cases a day earlier, and 125 cases on March 2.

31 new deaths recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

The self isolation policy is insufficient. It’s just about making the eventual spread the individual’s fault, not the government’s.
    The over the top privacy concerns are a way of pushing that narrative.

Self isolation for who? Close contacts or suspected cases awaiting test results? So what do you suggest?

I would have thought if you were worried about picking up the virus through casual contact in urban areas, disposable gloves would be far more protective than a mask.

Still a risk of touching your eyes or mouth with dirty gloves though.. hygiene and being careful about touching surfaces in the first place are the way to go imo

Much bigger particles though.. also keep away from the sunlight, moisture and temperature changes you'd get at a window, the seal might also deform with reuse

But also, different type of particles.. the mask itself can now be assumed to be contaminated and shouldn't be touched really.. we don't know yet how long the virus could survive inside the material

Good point. I'd err on side of caution based on studies of similar viruses.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1228036300583972866
    More good news, sorry. Forearmed is forewarned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement