Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part III - 9 cases across the Island - 503 errors abound!! *read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

00benski wrote: »
    I own a suit shop dealing with the public and have had people in over the last few weeks from all different countries picking up suits who are going to formal dinners.

or were they getting fit for a suit for the funeral?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9ee96dc1-5344-47d5-96e6-36ade2ce2204

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

World bank 12 billion in funds to fight COvid
    IMF 50 billion in funds also to fight the virus
    ECB - 1 trillion billion in Monopoly money

Anyone thinking they can’t bail humanity out of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Hahaha brilliant. Got a nice giggle from that. Cracker.

Still laughing at that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

I own a suit shop dealing with the public and have had people in over the last few weeks from all different countries picking up suits who are going to formal dinners.

Am currently in bed with pretty much similar symptoms of the virus which started early Tuesday morning, (obviously could be just a bad head cold) under the current guidance I won't be tested is this correct. Can someone shed some light on my worry. Also an asthmatic.

Not unless you need to be hospitalised that’s my understanding anyway if you haven’t been to an affected area or knowingly in contact with someone who has been. The majority of people will fight it off and recover only people that need to worried are elderly or with under lying conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Any updates between midnight and 7am?
    :rolleyes:

When the sh1te hits the fan , we have set up a radio channel , the station is called radio freedom, we are rebuilding a disease free community under the burren and will transmit on frequency 106fm, if you make it there before the end of days we will allow you past the security, if you look sick you will not be allowed into the camp, I’m out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭almostover

Work for a large multinational. All employees received an email from CEO last night informing them as restricted travel policy is now in place until end of June. Only critical customer support related travel will be approved. Restricted regions are out of bounds for travel under all circumstances. Meetings to be arranged via teleconference only. Also if an employee is showing symptoms or has travelled to a list of restricted regions they are being told to self quarantine for 14 days and can only return to work if asymptomatic.

This virus is serious when leaders of big businesses are willing to make decisions that will harm profitability to prevent its spread. It's reassuring that the company I work for holds employee wellbeing in this high level of esteem.

15,000 cases outside china now

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1235439900478132224

More cases in Australia including a baby
    https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12029324

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2020/03/04/coronavirus-has-mutated-aggressive-disease-say-scientists/
    I wonder if the mutated strain is what is causing the high death rate in Italy and Iran? Maybe the older milder illness didnt spread as far ans thats why South Korea is experiencing a lower number of deaths.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Sorry yeah SARS is totally different best wait til everyone dies so we can truly know instead of going with science/research likely scenarios based on evidence.

Sorry if stupid question. Is it really that different to SARS bearing mind both are coronavirus / share 80% of their genome. Likely originated in bats (not cross over). Cause respiratory disease. Happy to slearn something new but I'd say prudent to consider and worth erring on side of caution given the transmission dynamics we are seeing.

Well humans share 97.5% of their genome with mice, and I’d say were quite different. We share 60% of our genome with bananas, so I’d say 80% still means they are vastly different.

tillyfilly wrote: »
    When the sh1te hits the fan , we have set up a radio channel , the station is called radio freedom, we are rebuilding a disease free community under the burren and will transmit on frequency 106fm, if you make it there before the end of days we will allow you past the security, if you look sick you will not be allowed into the camp, I’m out

Sooo you're allowing Asymptomatic carriers .....hmmmn I might skip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

almostover wrote: »
    Work for a large multinational. All employees received an email from CEO last night informing them as restricted travel policy is now in place until end of June. Only critical customer support related travel will be approved. Restricted regions are out of bounds for travel under all circumstances. Meetings to be arranged via teleconference only. Also if an employee is showing symptoms or has travelled to a list of restricted regions they are being told to self quarantine for 14 days and can only return to work if asymptomatic.

This virus is serious when leaders of big businesses are willing to make decisions that will harm profitability to prevent its spread. It's reassuring that the company I work for holds employee wellbeing in this high level of esteem.

We might work at same place :pac:

almostover wrote: »

Good to see your company being proactive, but the cynic/realist in me would say employees well-being is secondary to the hit the company would take due to sickness in the workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭utmbuilder

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Given Ireland's obesity rates a reduction in supply may be no harm at all. Might even save more lives than the corona virus will take and would certainly be less of a drain on health services

Did he just call me fat

Sooo you're allowing Asymptomatic carriers .....hmmmn I might skip

No problem, your life/death

The rules will change so best to get there early !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

so why are the schools in Ennistymon closed??

Don't know but a relative lived in Ennis and their kids school now closed for two weeks due to this.

Screening not working out too well at LAX!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/03/04/screener-lax-airport-tests-positive-coronavirus-dhs-says/4907877002/

A contract medical screener at Los Angeles International Airport tested positive for coronavirus, the Department of Homeland Security said Wednesday.

Swift said no passengers who had been screened at LAX had tested positive for coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Am i the only one still not particularly worried by this??

On this thread - yes.

In real life - no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Any updates between midnight and 7am?
    :rolleyes:

Yeah. Whole West of Ireland is fecked, the Wild Atlantic Way is moving to Courtown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Maybe global capitalism and major economies should use 2020 to change they way they do business. Experiment with work from home technologies, minimise travel for the year.

More time at home with famalies, less time on motorways and flying across the world for a couple of handshakes meetings with business partners in Tokyo etc. Encourage domestic tourism.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oh crap! George Lee talking about it on RTE Radio News. Things must be getting serious now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Am currently in bed with pretty much similar symptoms of the virus which started early Tuesday morning, (obviously could be just a bad head cold) under the current guidance I won't be tested is this correct. Can someone shed some light on my worry. Also an asthmatic.

You can contact the hse but as you haven't been in contact with a known person with the virus or travelled to a region you wont be tested.

Could well be a normal flu or head cold.
    There does seem to be a bad enough head cold going around. Know of a few people myself who have head colds are the moment, putting it down to the weird weather

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Oh crap! George Lee talking about it on RTE Radio News. Things must be getting serious now!!!

Unlike Fergal Bowers, George doesnt need the sheet of paper in his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Tell them one of your customers was Italian and has tested positive since returning home. Then you've had direct contact with a known carrier and should be tested.

• Advertisement

You can contact the hse but as you haven't been in contact with a known person with the virus or travelled to a region you wont be tested.

Could well be a normal flu or head cold.
    There does seem to be a bad enough head cold going around. Know of a few people myself who have head colds are the moment, putting it down to the weird weather

I'd say it is to be honest. Just reading though this thread it would have you pretty much dead by opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

my sources say they're not sure if he was working since his return
    Either way, if there is a GP infected, whether he/she was working since returning or not - a community is now without their GP.

This is part of the strain that was predicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

It's hard one. Who to believe. The HSE or a peer reviewed article in a credible journal.

"A Familial Cluster of Infection Associated With the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Indicating Possible Person-to-Person Transmission During the Incubation Period "

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1229824567918694400?s=20

I briefly read that article, it's interesting, but is inconclusive. WHO still of the opinion that there is little to no asymptomatic transmission. It may be that mild symptoms aren't recognised by infected persons at early stages and that's the dangerous phase, where perhaps they unknowingly risk onward transmission by going about their daily routine without taking proper care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

This is.in Clare right?
    Yes.

• Advertisement

I'd say it is to be honest. Just reading though this thread it would have you pretty much dead by opinion.

100% if you in any way felt unwell the first thing is to steer clear of here.
    I think its nearly an irish reaction to panic over the slightest thing

so why are the schools in Ennistymon closed??
    Two different schools perhaps - two children?
    Then the parents - where do they work? It's possible .

Wombatman wrote: »

Seriously less than 12 hours and the general media are reporting the immediate area of the newest cases, the HSE/Covid19 expert group could have done the same lastnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

First case in Bosnia..Covid has now been detected in all but 3 of the 43 nations in Europe (Bulgaria, Albania and Montenegro)

wakka12 wrote: »
    First case in Bosnia..Covid has been detected in every European country except for Bulgaria and Albania

You'd think with Albanias proximity to Italy that it would be highly unlikely they dont have it.

Seriously less than 12 hours and the general media are reporting the immediate area of the newest cases, the HSE/Covid19 expert group could have done the same lastnight.

The woman had recently travelled from Europe, including Italy, where an epidemic of coronavirus has broken out.
    She returned to Australia on Saturday on Etihad Airways EY450 from Abu Dhabi to Sydney.
    She took a Virgin Australia connecting flight to Adelaide on VA412.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-confirmed-in-south-australian-baby-after-mother-fell-ill/f0dac33e-0cd3-4711-8775-ec0e1bb18395

Australia telling everyone where these people have been including one guy who went shopping while positive in Tasmania , the time the shop etc. Flight numbers, seat numbers, the hospitals they go to. Etc etc we don't need to Know names and addresses but a degree of transparency is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep. Keep an eye on yourself. If it's a short self limiting illness great. Check your temperature. Keep on top of your preventative asthma medication. Keep rested and hydrated. If it worsens or if your asthma is bothering you call your GP or if that fails go to ED alerting them first of your concerns through the NAS.

Statistically the chances are you have a cold. But be sensible.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Bambi wrote: »
    Don't know but a relative lived in Ennis and their kids school now closed for two weeks due to this.

As I understand from information this morning - The children in the impacted family used the School bus so there are a number of schools that also use the same bus service that are now closing or considering closing as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Case in Cork apparently to be confirmed to the media later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

As long as your east of the Shannon your gonna be grand

You mean the South of the Country?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You mean the South of the Country?

If I meant the south I would have said the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If I meant the south I would have said the south.

Woosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The woman had recently travelled from Europe, including Italy, where an epidemic of coronavirus has broken out.
    She returned to Australia on Saturday on Etihad Airways EY450 from Abu Dhabi to Sydney.
    She took a Virgin Australia connecting flight to Adelaide on VA412.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-confirmed-in-south-australian-baby-after-mother-fell-ill/f0dac33e-0cd3-4711-8775-ec0e1bb18395

Australia telling everyone where these people have been including one guy who went shopping while positive in Tasmania , the time the shop etc. Flight numbers, seat numbers, the hospitals they go to. Etc etc we don't need to Know names and addresses but a degree of transparency is needed

Note how much energy in the debate here has been funnelled into discussing this. Might even be big brain strategy to keep us focused on not panicking! Though I reckon it’s more just the HSE not wanting to get sued in reality. Have to laugh at people holding up the HSE as the global gold standard on how to handle this differently from all the uneducated eejits abroad.

Yep. Keep an eye on yourself. If it's a short self limiting illness great. Check your temperature. Keep on top of your preventative asthma medication. Keep rested and hydrated. If it worsens or if your asthma is bothering you call your GP or if that fails go to ED alerting them first of your concerns through the NAS.

Statistically the chances are you have a cold. But be sensible.

Don't go to ED at all, stay at home, the ambulance service have the ability to do the test now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

The difference is that in Ireland, the priority is the economy. If we knew that somebody with the virus had been out and about in a particular part of a specific town/city, we might be put off from going there and spending money. It's not a conspiracy, just priorities.

It's the same with the plane-loads of Italians coming over for the (cancelled) rugby match. Their money is more important than containment.

It's a very short term view, as the economy won't do too well if a large proportion of the population end up catching it and have to be isolated for weeks.

Source ?? If not it's just another rumor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The hotel I work at is apparently down €80,000 due to cancellations etc according to reservations....ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Screenshot-20200305-075241.png

The containment section of a hospital in Dublin where high risk patients are to be screened for coronavirus, not the quarantine section just where they wait to be screened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement