Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part III - 9 cases across the Island - 503 errors abound!! *read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I wonder might the imminent St Patrick's Day be our secret weapon, might the great man rise up, take one look at covid and cast the sneaky(snakey) little bollox out of the country?

Maybe they're hoping the amount of alcohol going about will kill the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Positives #4. rugby/football matches being cancelled. sheep going to matches every week, getting boozed up,

What is wrong with going to matches, experience the atmosphere, hanging out with family/friends and bringing people together? What is wrong with having a few pints too??

Is the air thinner up there on your high horse... Some craic you must be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

To be pedantic, it says "set to be" postponed. That is different :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Sports, parades, gigs etc are now not the priority. Dealing with this thing is. Airlines, hotels, tourism is now not the priority either. We need to aggressively get ahead of this thing and now. It will rise anyway but to prevent a repeat of Italy, we need to learn lessons. And that does mean locking the place down. Public health and using every ounce of our health service capacity, trump everything else. By the weekend there will likely be cases of community transmission. The death rates for at risk groups is not something to take any chances on. It's not panic, it's observation of what has happened in other countries before us and the necessary steps to take now. Anyone coming from an infected hotspot, 14 day quarantine. And so on. Follow WHO advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Maybe they're hoping the amount of alcohol going about will kill the virus

That might be more realistic alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Definitely noticing a change in attitude today among the "It's just a flu" type people, genuine worry and anxiety is starting to set in.

Positives

2. Reduction in greenhouse gases and climate change. We need to fly less, less planes being scheduled

Well we've got rid of Flybe. Only x amount of these disease spreading profiteering snouts in the trough devils to go......

source.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

My reading on why there can be fret about these scenarios is that it taps into both our ancestral fear of plague and our scifi futuristic worry that it will be an invisible germ that is the mass assassin of the species.
    Both these fears are in fact perfectly understandable and in many ways true. We are the descendents of the regular culls caused by pestilence, we will also most likely be seen off in the end as a species by pestilence.

Many remain cool and sanguine right now regarding this particular manifestation of a viral threat and may even scoff at others more panicked, but that there is a natural atavistic undercurrent in humans regarding novel invisible germs I think is perfectly understandable.

Being calm however is far better for the immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Sports, parades, gigs etc are now not the priority. Dealing with this thing is. Airlines, hotels, tourism is now not the priority either. We need to aggressively get ahead of this thing and now. It will rise anyway but to prevent a repeat of Italy, we need to learn lessons. And that does mean locking the place down. Public health and using every ounce of our health service capacity, trump everything else. By the weekend there will likely be cases of community transmission. The death rates for at risk groups is not something to take any chances on. It's not panic, it's observation of what has happened in other countries before us and the necessary steps to take now. Anyone coming from an infected hotspot, 14 day quarantine. And so on. Follow WHO advice.

WHO advice isn't to lock everything down. You mention airlines, hotels etc not being a priority, tell that to all the people who work in that industry who with a lockdown would be out of work etc.

A lockdown simply wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

so is everyone else completely negative, doom and gloom about this, anyone else see the positives.

• Advertisement

postiive #10 - we will all learn about immuniology. how viruses work. i for one havent a clue but sure once the documentaries start getting made ill be an expert.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I assume what you're implying here is that those who survive will be somehow superior to those who don't? Because if so, that's not how it works at all.
    Indeed. I have often found those who use "Darwinism" in an argument have eff all clue what t actually means or how it works.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

so is everyone else completely negative, doom and gloom about this, anyone else see the positives.

Not really....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

It seems to be that people are either going to one extreme or the other. Either going totally mental and stockpiling toilet paper and masks, or not caring at all, being complacent about hygiene and coughing and sneezing without covering mouth. Why is this? Are most people just a bit thick? Is it some psychological phenomenon?

Hardly anyone seems capable of doing what you're supposed to do - stay calm, wash hands often, use hand gel if you can't get to a sink right away, be responsible about coughing/sneezing, stay at home if you don't feel well, maybe throw some extra fruit or veg in the diet so your immune system is as good as it can be, get plenty of sleep. How hard is that? Why is it all one extreme or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Interesting listening to morning Ireland, if anyone didn't hear it, the quotes are on the rte website,

"President of the Irish College of General Practitioners Dr Mary Favier said concern over the four new cases is understandable but it is "not an alarming change" in the numbers.

Speaking to RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Dr Favier said the situation has not substantially changed and Ireland is still in the containment stage "while we continue to prepare".

She said the ICGP are asking people to continue to do the same things, such as washing hands regularly and watching how they cough.

She said GP's are getting "lots of calls" and they are trying to direct them to the HSE website while those with travel concerns are being directed towards the Department of Foreign Affairs website.

Speaking on the same programme, Professor of molecular virology at Queen's University Belfast Ultan Power said the vast majority of people will cope well with the Covid-19 virus and concern should centre on the exposure of the most vulnerable people to the virus."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think the whole thing is over hyped - look at the Indos sensationist headline today - we are being asked to act responsibly, and yet we are still allowing flights in from Italy, the source of all our infections, why not ban all but essential flights from Italy (until Italy gets ther situation under control) - ther actually seams no point in cancelling rugby game , as all the Italian fans will arrive from today - Nothing against Italians, but if we are told to act responsibly to ward of this impending doom, hardly seams responsible to continue flights from Italy (keep essential ones ) - is this a stupid directive coming from EU I wonder ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

What about the Donald's advice? Just carry on and go to work:
    “A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity. “So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and/or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better."
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-work-coronavirus_n_5e608bd2c5b69d641c0aa3dc

i was asked about darwinism. i mean by that, the superiors will survive the weak will perish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

woohoo!!! wrote: »

I don't know why Ireland wasn't putting them people coming of Italian flights into quarantine about 7/8/9 days ago when this was kicking off.

According to the journal.ie, Clare school to close for two weeks. Doesn't that mean the family was not self isolating upon returning home from Italy and to be honest I don't blame them. The guidelines were - if you show symptoms - self isolate. All them plane loads of people from the hotspot Italy should have been told to self isolate regardless of symptoms or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

1641 wrote: »
    What about the Donald's advice? Just carry on and go to work:
    “A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity. “So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and/or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better."
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-work-coronavirus_n_5e608bd2c5b69d641c0aa3dc

It would appear the people that don't have pudding for brains suggest doing the complete opposite of what Donald randomly blurts out.

Basically ignore the dotard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

How exactly does saying there's a case of coronavirus in 'the West' and making people guess which one of four counties that means stop panic?

Its ridiculous. It's like they don't realise social media exists. People with symptoms might have many reasons not to come forward, but having RTE name your county on the news is not one of them.

I imagine the news bulletins on local radio in Clare are announcing which schools are closed, while RTE/HSE tell us its all confidential.
    Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The new cases are in Clare. Not sure if its been already mentioned

https://www.clareecho.ie/reports-coronavirus-case-in-clare/

The Clare Echo has also received confirmation that a primary school in the area has issued a closure notice until March 18th with a pupil having tested positive for Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

i was asked about darwinism. i mean by that, the superiors will survive the weak will perish.

I think that's called ableism, and it's also complete rubbish.

I might have a long term health condition which means I could get very sick from this, but at least I don't post such moronic statements.

Good God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

people are 2lazy to read a long list. spaces them out. and as one person quoted one already makes it easier for them.

...eeeehhhh, isn't Boards a series of long lists (fora, threads, posts,....) it's lists all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

gozunda wrote: »
    They're still complete crap - no matter how you spread them out. Eejits spamming the thread with infantile type logic doesn't help.

positive #2032: he got the much needed attention he craved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

from 1 case to 2 to 6 in one single week, it's moving fast here too
    I dont see the point in closing off airports at this point, the virus has traveled already. By looking at other countries no one has been able to contain it. They all started with small numbers and then moved to hundreds and thousands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

WHO advice isn't to lock everything down. You mention airlines, hotels etc not being a priority, tell that to all the people who work in that industry who with a lockdown would be out of work etc.

A lockdown simply wont happen.
    It's a matter of choices and I do think putting vulnerable people first is the priority. Regarding a lock down, do we wait for 500 cases, 5000? The HSE should publish their contingency plans for the different scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bob24 wrote: »
    As I said, community transmission has occurred in every single other country after a few tens of cases had been imported, and there is no reason it will be different here.

And they never said it will be. All it said was that there's no evidence as of yet it has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Aren't you a delight

I think someone has read the Unabomber's Manifesto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

iguana wrote: »
    I feel much, much more panicked when our chief medical officers come out with such blatant BS.

Point out one bull**** element of the statement quoted?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement