Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part III - 9 cases across the Island - 503 errors abound!! *read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The pope cancelling meetings because of an illness after greeting crowds of people in a region where the virus is spreading rapidly.

I don't understand how it isn't acceptable to discuss that this may very well be coronavirus, is he immune to it due to his holy title?

He's an old man and just as prone as everyone else who has contracted the virus in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I actually an involved in management plans for the Corona virus so I would suspect I would know more than you. If I didn't, I would definitely not deserve my salary.

Well god help us all so.

Why can't you be just civil like the rest of us here.

Because sometimes people idle gossip results in real life deaths and that is something I've no time for. There is no need to panic yet. I will be at the front line for this so I'm putting my life at risk more than the majority of posters here. But fear mongering doesn't help us.

Because sometimes people idle gossip results in real life deaths and that is something I've no time for. There is no need to panic yet. I will be at the front line for this so I'm putting my life at risk more than the majority of posters here. But fear mongering doesn't help us.

You're shutting me down for discussing clear facts, you're the last thing anyone needs right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Well god help us all so.
    Well, keep spreading lies. You do you. When push comes to shove, I'll be on the frontlines whilst you are cowering behind your keyboard.

You're shutting me down for discussing clear facts, you're the last thing anyone needs right now.

The clear fact that Pope Francis has coronavirus? Show me the proof, son..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Died from overwork you say...hmmm...

• Advertisement

Well, keep spreading lies. You do you. When push comes to shove, I'll be on the frontlines whilst you are cowering behind your keyboard.

Yeah, you've let everyone know this already, the country will be forever in your debt.

Tragically sad, the true hero's of China and respect to you too Dazzler who will be in the front line here.

The pope cancelling meetings because of an illness after greeting crowds of people in a region where the virus is spreading rapidly.

I don't understand how it isn't acceptable to discuss that this may very well be coronavirus, is he immune to it due to his holy title?

He's an old man and just as prone as everyone else who has contracted the virus in the region.
    He's not immune. It's just highly unlikely. Epidemiologically, it doesn't make sense but you continue to believe your conspiracy theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The clear fact that Pope Francis has coronavirus? Show me the proof, son..

I never said he has it, I said it is quite likely.

If you are genuinely working on the "frontlines", you'd be best opening your mind up a bit and allow for open discussion instead of shutting it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

If you are genuinely working on the "frontlines", you'd be best opening your mind up a bit and allow for open discussion instead of shutting it down.

Quite likely is not a fact.:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

God bless your bravery. Would you catch yourself on with your self adoration? You've no idea who other posters are or what they face daily or will be facing.
    Your tone to another poster suggests that you are out of your depth pressure wise already and need to lie down and take a few chill pills.
    Mods shouldn't have to police vitriol like that shown by you?
    The poster"s comments may be left of centre, unlikely or they may be bang on. You're not the final arbiter of that.

UK will look like this within days

FRANCE.PNG?itok=HTygmZkb

Yeah, you've let everyone know this already, the country will be forever in your debt.

And how are you helping at a national level? In fact, you are really undermining the actual threat with your lies.

• Advertisement

He's not immune. It's just highly unlikely. Epidemiologically, it doesn't make sense but you continue to believe your conspiracy theories.

Please explain how it doesn't make sense that an elderly man who surrounded himself with public crowds, not only being in close contact but also touching these people, could not potentially catch this virus?

Explain to me how the virus decided to defy everything we know about it in this one instance.

South Korea reported its first case of reinfection by the new coronavirus Saturday amid mounting concerns over the rapid rise in infections here.

A South Korean woman tested positive for COVID-19 for a second time, even after being released from quarantine, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

The 73-year-old woman, who was diagnosed with the virus earlier in the month, was released from hospital Feb. 22 after making a full recovery.

She started showed symptoms again Thursday and was found to have contracted the virus again Friday, the agency said

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/02/119_285335.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Who thought this would just blow over.

December I looked at an article about wuhan virus. Said to myself, would these people stop eating exotic animals(or whatever animals).
    Ahh sure it will be grand, I said to myself.

Look now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Would the two of you discuss this over pm please - its infuriatingly stupid. Grow up!

Aw man, this virus is scary, it seems there is no immunity from this or perhaps a case mistaken to be clear of the virus.

ardinn wrote: »
    Would the two of you discuss this over pm please - its infuriatingly stupid. Grow up!

We can discuss it here if we want, get over yourself.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    God bless your bravery. Would you catch yourself on with your self adoration? You've no idea who other posters are or what they face daily or will be facing.
    Your tone to another poster suggests that you are out of your depth pressure wise already and need to lie down and take a few chill pills.
    Mods shouldn't have to police vitriol like that shown by you?
    The poster"s comments may be left of centre, unlikely or they may be bang on. You're not the final arbiter of that.

I may come across angry but the reality is that false accusations like these put increased pressures on A+E. So say somebody comes in with suspected with coronavirus (coming from a visit with pope Francis). Patient needs to be isolated with resp equipment (To cover if they deteriorate rapidly. Then next comes a 17 year old with an life threatening asthma attack, hard luck buddy, the resp equipment is tied up with the potential Covid-19 patient. The 17 year old died from a very treatable form of asthma attack. But due to fear mongering, loads of people present to A+E (with cough symptoms) blocking real emergency cases.

American Airlines to suspend all US flights to Milan.

This is what I meant by consequences beyond the virus itself - your country slowly being closed off from the rest of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

UK will look like this within days

FRANCE.PNG?itok=HTygmZkb

That's like me in bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Who thought this would just blow over.

December I looked at an article about wuhan virus. Said to myself, would these people stop eating exotic animals(or whatever animals).
    Ahh sure it will be grand, I said to myself.

Look now.

Nothing ironic about the username...Get some Eamonn Ryan into you....be grand... :D

China just banned all flights from Ireland

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Nothing ironic about the username...Get some Eamonn Ryan into you....be grand... :D

In all seriousness. Did you think it would from the start, amount to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Source?

I work on the frontlines. I've done so in Ireland and the UK. Open discussion does not allow somebody to be a pretend Sherlock about believing that the pope has the Corona virus. At Best, you are stupid, at worst, you are been malicious.

Sundy wrote: »
    Source?

Newsweak reporting it

• Advertisement

I work on the frontlines. I've done so in Ireland and the UK. Open discussion does not allow somebody to be a pretend Sherlock about believing that the pope has the Corona virus. At Best, you are stupid, at worst, you are been malicious.

Start a new thread guys Google vs Dazzler.
    Or just stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It looks like he has sniffles, which supposedly present in about 4% of coronavirus sufferers. Do you not think it more likely that he has a cold, and being old and seemingly of compromised immunity, he decided to avoid meeting crowds of people who might have a highly infectious disease?

Sundy wrote: »
    Source?
    There are no flights to China from Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pc7 wrote: »
    Not seeing it anywhere else yet, but at 83 and meeting and greeting so many over the last month, he very well could. Would be very hard on his mostly elderly followers here, would scare a lot of them. Then a load of elderly men lock themselves in to pick the new one.

Age used to be respected as a time of wisdom … Now being old is seen as? A burden? Invalid?

Thailand reports 42nd case.

This time the victim's job "brought him in to contact with a lot of tourists"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I may come across angry but the reality is that false accusations like these put increased pressures on A+E. So say somebody comes in with suspected with coronavirus (coming from a visit with pope Francis). Patient needs to be isolated with resp equipment (To cover if they deteriorate rapidly. Then next comes a 17 year old with an life threatening asthma attack, hard luck buddy, the resp equipment is tied up with the potential Covid-19 patient. The 17 year old died from a very treatable form of asthma attack. But due to fear mongering, loads of people present to A+E (with cough symptoms) blocking real emergency cases.

There’s oxygen ports and tanks available on every bed and trolley in a and e and disposable nebs to administer medication with,so the 17 year old didn’t in fact die from an asthma attack.
    Unless they had a drama queen like yourself looking after them that is.then they probably would die and would in fact be probably better off being dead.
    The end.

I've only ever said it's a likelihood, as it is.

The man came into contact with numerous members of the public in a region with a spread of virus and takes ill after, so it's definitely not out of the realms of possibility and it is just as possible that he may have a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i dunno, my generation has had it rough...we grew up worrying about the red button being pressed between east germany and the west, chernobyl, ozone layer depletion, 9/11, bit of fun in the early 00s then global recession, climate change and now friggin coronavirus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not a credible source.

re Pope Francis

I just checked the Catholic Answers Forum, Catholic News and so far nothing positive there but they are very aware of the possibility. Will keep an eye

phatmass phorum a little more involved as in " coronalike illness"

See "open mic"

They will know .

Ficheall wrote: »
    It looks like he has sniffles, which supposedly present in about 4% of coronavirus sufferers. Do you not think it more likely that he has a cold, and being old and seemingly of compromised immunity, he decided to avoid meeting crowds of people who might have a highly infectious disease?

Could very well be but a runny nose is a symptom of covid-19, where are you getting this 4% figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

maybe you should leave boards if you don't like people gossiping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

How unusual is it for a disease to have an incubation period of two weeks or more?

I've a cough and sore chest. Only time I've been around someone sick was two weeks ago.

NHS site says flu normally has an incubation period of between one and four days.

There’s oxygen ports and tanks available on every bed and trolley in a and e and disposable nebs to administer medication with,so the 17 year old didn’t in fact die from an asthma attack.
    Unless they had a drama queen like yourself looking after them that is.then they probably would die and would in fact be probably better off being dead.
    The end.
    I think the point is that the kid wouldn't get into A&E.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/less-than-third-of-patients-in-a-e-admitted-to-ward-within-six-hours-survey-1.4094156

Also, I disagree with The_Dazzler on the coutry's general level of preparedness, but you need to cop on to yourself.

Still on Australia, and on Sunday, the country’s Home Affairs minister, Peter Dutton, said it was not possible to extend travel bans to all countries affected by the coronavirus outbreak, but he defended Australia’s decision to restrict entry to people who had travelled from Iran, but not South Korea, which has many more cases.
    Australia recorded its first Covid-19 death on Sunday – a 78-year-old man who had been a passenger on the Diamond Princess cruise ship. He died in Perth and his wife is infected with the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/01/coronavirus-latest-updates-coronavirus-live-updates-latest-news-china-wuhan-stock-markets-update-china-iran-us-australia-south-korea-japan
    Australia:
    Ventilator beds: 1314
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0310057X1003800124

How unusual is it for a disease to have an incubation period of two weeks or more?

I've a cough and sore chest. Only time I've been around someone sick was two weeks ago.

Rare enough, the likes of West Nile has a similar period but coronavirus incubation for the common cold is about 2-3 days, like influenza also.

SARS 2 could potentially be 14 days and there's been reports over 20 days.

You probably just have a chest infection. See if it clears over the next few days and if not, a doc might give you an antibiotic but hopefully you can clear it without the need for one.

Living on a damp rock in the north Atlantic really has its charms, we're lucky we don't have moss in our lungs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement