Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part III - 9 cases across the Island - 503 errors abound!! *read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.zrtlab.com/blog/archive/preventing-and-protecting-against-coronavirus-is-selenium-the-answer/

Everybody is going to have their own things they do to stay well or fight the virus if they get it. People will wave off the following as rubbish, but it might help some. I react very strongly to pharmaceuticals, if given to me, eg only once had an antibiotic and I was dizzy and sick the whole time. So I try to use other things, but of course if needed I will be very glad to avail of pharmaceuticals and a doctors help.

Echinecea Angustifolia is stronger than Purpurea, use as an occasional (once or twice a week) prophylactic. Increase if feeling unwell. Onions and garlic contain quercitin and allicin, which are antiviral. Vitamin C is good if you feel illness coming on, and good quality honey and lemon drinks, just in general, not only when sick. 1 or 2 brazil nuts give a daily dose of selenium, selenium may protect against viral replication in the body, it is not a trouble to eat a couple most days, even if they do nothing in particular. More is not better with selenium. A tea made of boiling a good amount of ginger (tablespoon) and whole black peppercorns (teaspoon) plus a pinch of fenugreek seeds has worked brilliantly for me and mine in the past when all around were getting flu.
    That's about it. Might help some. For those who are skeptical that is fine too, I am not looking for an argument or abuse, just sharing what I have found very useful over the years. Oh, and wholegrain rice and red lentils are a good protein combination, a few kilos of each are easily put aside, need no freezing and will mean no one will starve if the proverbial hits the fan. Bored, maybe, but not starved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They keep stats of hospitalizations for "influenza like illness". You can't fob off a person arriving at the hospital in severe condition, it definitely would show a spike in these cases if it was happening.

We are ordered not to arrive at the hospital but to call HSE who do not call back, etc etc etc so no spike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Graces7 wrote: »
    We are ordered not to arrive at the hospital but to call HSE who do not call back, etc etc etc so no spike

Have you tried calling them over this?
    And they didn't call you back?
    Perhaps they didn't take your case seriously.

tuxy wrote: »
    Panic buying will make the whole situation worse.

Provisioning ahead is not panic buying; how will it make things worse? Buying now will avoid panic buying and give shops time to restock. Leaving it will make things worse

YFlyer wrote: »
    Spuds wouldn't last long.

In a cool dark place they last months.

tuxy wrote: »
    Have you tried calling them over this?
    And they didn't call you back?
    Perhaps they didn't take your case seriously.

It is Runways on the other thread not me. Look back; they never called back just fobbed him off. He had come straight from am affected area and was showing all symptoms. Look him up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It is Runways on the other thread not me. Look back; they never called back just fobbed him off. He had come straight from am affected area and was showing all symptoms. Look him up?

That thread was closed because it was mostly full of misinformation.
    Says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I dont know why some people have such a thing against stocking up on food. I dont see it as panic buying, I have bought nothing that I would not normally buy. I have just bought more of it just in case we have to self isolate which has happened in several locations throughout the world. Myself and my son are in at risk categories so I see it as common sense.

I sincearly hope no harm comes to anyone on here as a result of this situation. However, to all those of you who are criticising those of us that have been stockpiling for the last few weeks, I hope you end up rimming people for tins of Aldi beans in dark alleys when your weeks shopping runs out!

Best of luck to everyone.

4th case in Mexico - came from Italy
    A young woman in her 20s in Mexico has tested positive for Covid-19, bringing the total number of cases for the country to four. All cases are linked to recent travel to Italy.

The woman, from northern Coahuila, was not showing symptoms. She had recently traveled to Milan.

We are in serious trouble here and i'm wondering should borders be shut with Italy at this stage and all flights cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭facehugger99

so, what are the best things to stock? large bags of rice and pasta OK, how about a few 20 kg bags of spuds?
    fill the freezer with cheap cuts of meat, stewing beef, what else?

should we be stocking up for a month right now, or for a four month lockdown in two months time?

Tarpaulin and an axe.

Be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Gynoid wrote: »
    https://www.zrtlab.com/blog/archive/preventing-and-protecting-against-coronavirus-is-selenium-the-answer/

Everybody is going to have their own things they do to stay well or fight the virus if they get it. People will wave off the following as rubbish, but it might help some. I react very strongly to pharmaceuticals, if given to me, eg only once had an antibiotic and I was dizzy and sick the whole time. So I try to use other things, but of course if needed I will be very glad to avail of pharmaceuticals and a doctors help.

Echinecea Angustifolia is stronger than Purpurea, use as an occasional (once or twice a week) prophylactic. Increase if feeling unwell.

Anyone reading should get this straight away in the chemist or herbal store. If you have as much as a sniffle start taking it. My Doctors wife who owns a few pharmacists swears by it, says she's never had a cold or flu in 20yrs, any sighn of either take it straight away.
    https://www.avogel.ie/herbal-remedies/echinacea-echinaforce/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

4th case in Mexico - came from Italy

We are in serious trouble here and i'm wondering should borders be shut with Italy at this stage and all flights cancelled.

I'm feeling the same K.
    We need to slow this thing down.

We're at a critical stage now, let's "flatten the curve".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Provisioning ahead is not panic buying; how will it make things worse? Buying now will avoid panic buying and give shops time to restock. Leaving it will make things worse

In fairness to you, prudent provisioning is wise.

But,Panic buying creates more panic. Take what you need and one extra over a few shopping trips. Everyone would then have plenty of back up in the pantry.

People fighting in the aisles is not what anyone needs.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm feeling the same K.
    We need to slow this thing down.

Italy is exporting this all over the world.

There comes a point even in the EU where measures have to be taken to secure borders. Then again it looks too late for France and Germany.

I still think with northern Italy as the hotbed borders should probably be closed at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well I doubt that anyone would sit around waiting for a call back if they were seriously ill with pneumonia, but I was talking about the US, not ireland.

My point was that if it has been circulating for almost 2 months in washington and there hasn't been a spike in pneumonia admissions then that could be a good sign. The previous advice was that only those with travel history or close contact need to be concerned. So if someone was sick and wasnt one of the at risk groups, it wouldn't even cross their mind that they might have this virus. They would seek medical care as usual. They wouldn't be tested. The fact that hundreds or even thousands could have it and there isnt an unusual amount of hospital admissions suggests that this really might be mild for the vast majority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Anyone reading should get this straight away in the chemist or herbal store. If you have as much as a sniffle start taking it. My Doctors wife who owns a few pharmacists swears by it, says she's never had a cold or flu in 20yrs, any sighn of either take it straight away.
    https://www.avogel.ie/herbal-remedies/echinacea-echinaforce/

So she's never had cold and flu in 20 years - so she's been taking echinacea for 20 years as a preventative measure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I sincearly hope no harm comes to anyone on here as a result of this situation. However, to all those of you who are criticising those of us that have been stockpiling for the last few weeks, I hope you end up rimming people for tins of Aldi beans in dark alleys

nice...

what are you stockpiling?

we usually have fresh meat every week, fish on a friday,
    a couple months worth would definitely fill the tall freezer...

let's say we have nothing stocked right now, what should we buy double of in the next two or three weeks before t goes into total meltdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

cmac2009 wrote: »
    So she's never had cold and flu in 20 years - so she's been taking echinacea for 20 years as a preventative measure?

That is not what the poster said. Use at first sign was what was said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I know of a school trip returned last night from skiing in northern Italy. I'm not aware of any decision to prevent the teachers and students from returning to that school. Surely this cannot be the correct course of action.

cmac2009 wrote: »

She says the minute she gets a sniffle, to be honest I thought I was coming down with something a couple of weeks ago and said I'd give it a go, I was better in a couple of hours. I'm converted. Her pharmacy's aren't local so it wasn't as if she was hoping I'd run over and buy some. We were just having a chat about winter wellness.

Are you really going to stay in your home for four months? If so, I'd consider how you can cope psychologically, in addition to the food supplies.

I am almost entirely in my house this last 15 months because of disability etc. As long as there is the internet etc, and if you stock with books.. and I knit.

Groceries come in on order. Some things I get by post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

As expected, the real damage of this is economic.

China factory activity shrank at its fastest rate on record in February
    The results suggest deepening cracks in an economy already hit by the trade war as the coronavirus forces widespread transport curbs and tough public health measures which have paralyzed economic activity.

This will undoubtably have a lasting economic impact. The worrying thing is that the WHO are making it pretty clear that other countries will have to follow China’s lead in tackling the crisis. China has had to shutdown its economy for over a month at this stage.

I know of a school trip returned last night from skiing in northern Italy. I'm not aware of any decision to prevent the teachers and students from returning to that school. Surely this cannot be the correct course of action.

we'll see by friday, maybe next monday, depending

I am almost entirely in my house this last 15 months because of disability etc. As long as there is the internet etc, and if you stock with books.. and I knit.

Groceries come in on order. Some things I get by post

Keep us informed Graces, you are a valued poster here, I and many others care for you.

• Advertisement

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    In fairness to you, prudent provisioning is wise.

But,Panic buying creates more panic. Take what you need and one extra over a few shopping trips. Everyone would then have plenty of back up in the pantry.

People fighting in the aisles is not what anyone needs.

Folk here have been buying ahead for weeks . I know as I have been posting/PMing ;) lists and advice . We have had abundant time.

Which will make for better stocks as shops have been able to restock .

So you need to stop.... panicking.... please ;) Do your own prepping as you are doing so well.

ah here.....

let's wait till theres a curve at least,

I'm not sure I understand

Why is it only northern Italy, I know two people who went to Rome yesterday for a holiday on the assumption they'll be fine as it's only the north.

China has had to shutdown its economy for over a month at this stage.

What do you think is going to happen when everyone is released again?

The virus continues spreading.

China's figures are nonsense.

• Advertisement

Keep us informed Graces, you are a valued poster here, I and many others care for you.

Tears reading this! I love my lifestyle out here. and boards ( mostly!!!) is a great help.

So much support when pets are lost, like my missing cat just now. And sharing so much.
    I did choose solitude before I needed to, so double blessings!

It took me two years to set up supply lines but there is so much kindness and I am a good customer!!! lol....

I'm not sure I understand

if it was a wise decision or not, either way, we will see by next week

The patient up north who was diagnosed was skiing in northern Italy. Is this correct? I'm trying to understand the logic of flights continuing to and from Milan fro Dublin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ah here.....

let's wait till theres a curve at least,

The worry is that this has been spreading freely now for a few weeks, look at Italy day 1, 14 case, yesterday, day 8 it was over 1000. So once symptoms start showing it’s already around. We need to cancel Patrick’s day now, big gatherings, consider shutting schools/universities now before we see a cluster not wait until it hits. It’s not like we haven’t got notice, look at the actions of China and how the spread is growing at cluster areas already. We can worry about economic factors later cause you won’t have to worry about the money if the systems get over whelmed.
    ETA those that can should be working from hone now, cut numbers of people circulating as much as possible.

Are you really going to stay in your home for four months? If so, I'd consider how you can cope psychologically, in addition to the food supplies.

It is to avoid infection? Depends on where you live but if you have a garden etc or a very quiet road, you can slip out at quiet times as it is people you need to avoid. I get as far as the gate and back, and to the turf store, gaze at the ocean

I am reminded of the old anchorites who were all but walled in but allowed to slip out in the night to walk in the churchyard.

It will be a huge but fascinating change of lifestyle. A challenge ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wouldn’t place too much faith in the Chinese figures.

What’s really worrying though is that the Chinese authorities are now finding it extremely difficult to restart the economy despite encouraging people to return to work. A combination of external travel restrictions, public transport closures and general anxiety is preventing people from returning to work.

Many businesses are facing catastrophic losses due to cash flow problems. So yeah, the whole supply chain is banjaxed and there are fears it’ll have global implications.

Millions of Chinese Firms Face Collapse If Banks Don’t Act
    A survey of small- and medium-sized Chinese companies conducted this month showed that a third of respondents only had enough cash to cover fixed expenses for a month, with another third running out within two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Folk here have been buying ahead for weeks . I know as I have been posting/PMing ;) lists and advice . We have had abundant time.

Which will make for better stocks as shops have been able to restock .

So you need to stop.... panicking.... please ;) Do your own prepping as you are doing so well.

Fair play. I looked at the video from San Francisco earlier on thread,and I would hate to think of an old infirm pensioner ,on a limited budget ,trying to get through that madness. That's all I mean by "panic buying". Prudence tends not to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Can we have a quick poll to see how many on here have stocked up?

pc7 wrote: »
    We need to cancel Patrick’s day now, big gatherings, consider shutting schools/universities now before we see a cluster not wait until it hits.

fair enough cancelling paddy's day parades, dublin especially, maybe even uni / colleges. where student can stay in accommodation, ... but schools, where one parent will have to look after the kid...???/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

As expected, the real damage of this is economic.

China factory activity shrank at its fastest rate on record in February

This will undoubtably have a lasting economic impact.

Good?

I know people always want money-go-up but the last recession never hit a bottom and was bouyed by printing money at will. I don't think this is the big moment that shakes the world to it's core, just a taster - but it might serve as a way for people to reposition. The last recession still has an economic impact to anybody 30 and over, people are much more pensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would always have a 5kg bag of rice and some large bottles of water. Bags of extra chickpeas and lentils. Not much but if i can't get to the shops for a couple of weeks i won't starve.

Would recommend rice and oats. Some tinned tuna. If you don't need them you can eat anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

tillyfilly wrote: »
    This virus is very changeable, it’s possible we know very little about it
    https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/02/coronavirus-outbreak-bigger-latest-updates-200228232914773.html

I see nothing in that thread that indicates changeability.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

As many are commenting, the prudent step for the Italian government is to shut all it's borders until COVID-19 subsides. It may even be to late but at least, they should try it. Both the NI and our patient seem to have arrived from Italy.
    It's shocking that Ireland is sending students for skiing in Italy even though the virus has been around there for 2 weeks now! 1128 patients in Itally with symptoms of infection. The ones in incubation must be way higher!
    It's a misconception that only Northern Italy is affected by the outbreak. Most regions have outbreaks now (including Sicily)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Flights should be stopped from Italy now. Yes they can come in other ways but it reduces the risk

One of the many effects of this thing.
    Pollution levels are down in China.

What a year 2020 is proving to be.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Nasa images show China pollution clear amid slowdown
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51691967

regedit wrote: »
    It's shocking that Ireland is sending students for skiing in Italy even though the virus has been around there for 2 weeks now!

we should close the borders as soon s they're gone, no one in or out for at least a month, and then review it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

regedit wrote: »
    As many are commenting, the prudent step for the Italian government is to shut all it's borders until COVID-19 subsides. It may even be to late but at least, they should try it. Both the NI and our patient seem to have arrived from Italy.
    It's shocking that Ireland is sending students for skiing in Italy even though the virus has been around there for 2 weeks now! 1128 patients in Itally with symptoms of infection. The ones in incubation must be way higher

Ireland will not lead, only follow, when it comes to taking drastic measures, by then it will be too late

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Fair play. I looked at the video from San Francisco earlier on thread,and I would hate to think of an old infirm pensioner ,on a limited budget ,trying to get through that madness. That's all I mean by "panic buying". Prudence tends not to panic.

(((HUGS))) I do understand which is why I was one of the ones here urging folk to get extra supplies in. And they have been doing. Well, many of them!

Some seem to think that if they do anything like that they are attracting bad luck...lol... Bravado.

There may well still be a rush but not as bad as that film. And folk need maybe to be good neighbours ? As I am sure they will be, My frustration is that I cannot help but by staying supplied I am doing that. I watched a youtube of when the shops opened in Newfoundland ( have folk there) after they were dug out of the snow. The shop only allowed so many at a time in and folk were respectful to each other. The queues outside were orderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Really ?

Have you any evidence to prove that ?

The very impressive Dr Bruce Aylward, the Canadian WHO expert who led the international expert team to China, has told us that the Chinese figures are real.

He also said that if ever he got infected with this damn virus... he would want to be treated in China.

Carrying that Sinophobic chip about must be really tiring on your shoulder.

;-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Pinch of salt...

There are currently more closed cases than active cases...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement