Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9900K cooler advise?

Options
  • 29-02-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

9900K is basically heating my house, currently using an NZXT M22 Kraken (about 14 months old) But I made an error buying a ROG maximus motherboard as it basically tries to OC the 9900 whenever it wants and also refuses to update via Asus Updater. I have to nerf it to 4ghz to keep it stable.

Anyone recomend a new cooler as the CPU is averaging 60c idle, appreciate it runs hot but has to be a better cooling solution than the one I chose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Tbh you might be better off trying to fix the issue with the motherboard first.

Failing that I'd check the cooler is mounted properly,fair enough it's a hot chip but that idle temp is way off

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

EK Fluid Gaming A240 - all-aluminium custom loop. Make sure to never expand with copper rads/blocks.
    Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 AIO with a VRM fan & extra-thick radiator.
    Zalman CNPS 20X - air cooler that beats the previous king, Noctua NH-D15.

But yeah, first thing to do would be to reset CMOS and try to perform BIOS update.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have the latest bios and have reset the cooler/cmos numerous times, main issue is the board "forgets" my settings and thinks "lol 5ghz". Its default setting is overclock changing it in the bios of via the ****ty software stops it for a while but it always resets somehow.

The ****ty software has been saying no updates since I got it but thew website has updates, never buying an ASUS board again. When I get the 10900k its gonna be MSI.

was leaning towards this Corsair Hydro H150i

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077FZPCRH?slotNum=0&linkCode=g12&imprToken=pKJ5hEFvtOrVxGpXBwJaHQ&creativeASIN=B077FZPCRH&tag=ht0sh-21

Asus ****ty software? That software overrides the BIOS settings I think. I'd get rid of that first.

Make sure your pressing F10 to save you settings in BIOS before exiting

Check the clock time is right in the BIOS

Replace CMOS battery

Lastly,see what your RMA options are.

• Advertisement

Busy with work **** last few days.

Update

Asus ****ty software 100% overides bios which is part of the problem.
    Asus ****ty bios wants to overclock just for the craic.
    Asus are ****ing useless unless the mobo is within 3 months of release.

Removed CPU cleaned and resat (twice tonight) actually linked the Kraken to the mobo via USB (it changed nothing)
    Cleaned case and removed all dust, wasnt much i do it often.
    Ensured all fans working as intended.
    Removed Asus software.

Gave up bought the AIO linked above, it should work on the 10900 and new fcuking MSI board I buy to go with it.

Well if your determined to move to the 10 series I'd gladly take the 9900K off you for a fair price. Obviously I wouldn't need the motherboard:D

The H150i is one big mother****ing piece of equipment.

Idles @4.9ghz 25c, load it goes to 31c

3 120mm fans on the unit.

It's a good cooler but i doubt you'd be under load at 31c.

Nice,there some load temps!! How hot is your room now?:D

• Advertisement

It's a good cooler but i doubt you'd be under load at 31c.

A3 or ins Sandstorm puts it under load, was 100c with the ****ty Kraken.

Dont buy this cooler unless you have a stupid amount of space, I have the CM Trooper so loads of room.

Advertisement