Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

This should be a time for the GAA to bring in strict limits on training and schedules for inter county teams anyway. Players being professional for free was never going to be sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

This should be a time for the GAA to bring in strict limits on training and schedules for inter county teams anyway. Players being professional for free was never going to be sustainable.

Nor should it be. It is the biggest cod that ever was. Either everyone should be amateur or nobody

Nor should it be. It is the biggest cod that ever was. Either everyone should be amateur or nobody

Nobody is amateur at the moment (don’t try pretending any inter county team is just because they’re no good), but it has to stop. The time all inter county players have to put in should be cut way back for all teams or more and more players will realise they’re losing the best years of their life to it and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Nobody is amateur at the moment (don’t try pretending any inter county team is just because they’re no good), but it has to stop. The time all inter county players have to put in should be cut way back for all teams.

The football mightn't be as good to watch then?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The football mightn't be as good to watch then?

It won’t be if many players realise that knowing their family is better either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,770 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

League performances were poor last year also.

As others said it's all a bit strange this year. Could we have a real outsider winning Sam this year?

Who knows.

I think the opposite.This break will do Dublin the world of good. It like a reset button. If any team needed a break from all the football that was played in the last few years it's Dublin. Six league Finals in the last seven years. Same in the championship. Plus if there was no covid19 pandemic giving this break, it would have been harder for the players to lift themselves again.
    The 5 in a row is done. But now it feels like new start entirely. Everyone raring to go.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

For the likes of him, he has won plenty, they dont really have a proper rival to compete with, and he probably wont be reliant on the gaa for a role down the line, ie punditry etc. You can understand why motivation might wane a bit in that scenario.
    There are probably a few more in that scenario also, cian osullivan comes to mind

Still cant help getting the cheap digs in I see

For the likes of him, he has won plenty, they dont really have a proper rival to compete with, and he probably wont be reliant on the gaa for a role down the line, ie punditry etc. You can understand why motivation might wane a bit in that scenario.
    There are probably a few more in that scenario also, cian osullivan comes to mind

:D Jack McCaffery was a fella who took a year out to volunteer in Africa in 2016 forgoing an All-Ireland medal. I could never see a Mayo player taking that chance. Next year could be the year! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Just a word on McCaffery. The guys is a class act, only 26 and has achieved so much.

He will go down as one of the best half backs ever in the modern game

ShyMets wrote: »
    Just a word on McCaffery. The guys is a class act, only 26 and has achieved so much.

He will go down as one of the best half backs ever in the modern game

Yeah made a big difference to the Dublin team with that, pace, skill, and football brain. Was always that x factor to break down defences when plan A was not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

We're living rent free there lads #obsessed

I am watching the AI football SF replay between Dublin and Cork.

Atmosphere looks even better than Dublin v Kerry in Thurles 2001!
    Was it as good as it looked? Bit that surprised me was that Joe McNally was Goalie as Minor in 1982. Then corner forward senior 83. How did that happen? Didn't know about the goalie bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Atmosphere looks even better than Dublin v Kerry in Thurles 2001! Was it as good as it looked? Bit that surprised me was that Joe McNally was Goalie as Minor in 1982. Then corner forward senior 83. How did that happen? Didn't know about the goalie bit!

I didnt go. I was only 11 at the time. I was at every other game in 83 prior to that.

I remember my mother advising us kids that our father would be going to cork for the match and wouldnt be back until the next day.

I was so excited and started making plans about what i would need to bring with me for this mammoth adventure when my father hit me with the bombshell.

I would not be going.

The train would take hours and it will be so full that i would have to stand all the way down he said.

Parc ui chaoimh is not as big as croke park and it would be too packed and i would not be able to see the match he said.

Everywhere in cork would be packed and i would be squashed he said.

I would be bored he said.

At the time i did appreciate his concern for my safety and wellbeing.

But now 37 years on it has finally dawned on me.

The fecker didnt want me there because he wanted to go on the pi$$ with his mates.

I didnt go. I was only 11 at the time. I was at every other game in 83 prior to that.

I remember my mother advising us kids that our father would be going to cork for the match and wouldnt be back until the next day.

I was so excited and started making plans about what i would need to bring with me for this mammoth adventure when my father hit me with the bombshell.

I would not be going.

The train would take hours and it will be so full that i would have to stand all the way down he said.

Parc ui chaoimh is not as big as croke park and it would be too packed and i would not be able to see the match he said.

Everywhere in cork would be packed and i would be squashed he said.

I would be bored he said.

At the time i did appreciate his concern for my safety and wellbeing.

But now 37 years on it has finally dawned on me.

The fecker didnt want me there because he wanted to go on the pi$$ with his mates.

Sorry for bringing up painful memories! :D
    Its sounds great online even knowing the result, and bad with you tube audio. Every ball being roared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Sorry for bringing up painful memories! Its sounds great online even knowing the result, and bad with you tube audio. Every ball being roared.

I thought the cork fans outnumberedthe dubs fans but on closer inspection its just topless dublin fans.

It was a scorcher of a day apparently.

I thought the cork fans outnumberedthe dubs fans but on closer inspecTon its just topless dublin fans.

It was a scorcher of a day apparently.

There was lot's of 'you'll never walk alone' from the Dubs fans. Always find that odd. Then again Cork fans had American flags. Six goals in the game between the two of teams. Not a bad day's out. I suppose you avoided the sunburn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ah pretty sure Kerry took them to an Ireland final replay last year . That doesn’t count as a rival no? In fact if ya took the goal and 3 pt Mccaffery scored out of it Sam would surely be resting in Kerry at present .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I am watching the AI football SF replay between Dublin and Cork.

Atmosphere looks even better than Dublin v Kerry in Thurles 2001!
    Was it as good as it looked?

I was at it. Security was most intense I've seen at any game. Match was great but was long haul on the Mount Argus bus, straight back on at the end and short stop in Cashel and pubs all closed when we got back and Shinners club in Blessington Street was too full! (Used to stay open all night after some big games :) )

We were on Blackrock End and one of the crew had his thumb broken when trying to catch a sliothar during the KK/Cork intermediate game beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

I think the opposite.This break will do Dublin the world of good. It like a reset button. If any team needed a break from all the football that was played in the last few years it's Dublin. Six league Finals in the last seven years. Same in the championship. Plus if there was no covid19 pandemic giving this break, it would have been harder for the players to lift themselves again.
    The 5 in a row is done. But now it feels like new start entirely. Everyone raring to go.

Agree, plus it gives lads time to fully recover and rehabilitate ongoing injuries and niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭threeball

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I was at it. Security was most intense I've seen at any game. Match was great but was long haul on the Mount Argus bus, straight back on at the end and short stop in Cashel and pubs all closed when we got back and Shinners club in Blessington Street was too full! (Used to stay open all night after some big games :) )

We were on Blackrock End and one of the crew had his thumb broken when trying to catch a sliothar during the KK/Cork intermediate game beforehand.

And ye wonder why all the money hasn't made a difference to the fortunes of Dublin hurling :pac::pac::D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wonder what conditions will come with Parnell pass this year with doubts about crowd numbers so will not guarantee tickets to both pass holders and season tickets .Hope to hear something soon was due an e mail this month but will take time now I suppose with the various groups to consider .

That's going to be a real issue. Even take the (hopefully) hurling game against the stripey lads. Both counties would have close enough to Nowlan Park in passes and STs and Parnell was not big enough to hold everyone with either two years ago.

Still think they should have abandoned inter county championship this year and just finished the leagues and let the clubs back at it.

Will be nothing like it with radically reduced crowds and double and even triple headers when evenings draw in at the few fit for purpose pitches with lights. Which would mean if say a double header in CP for Leinster hurling semis each of four might only get 3/4,000 tickets.

Will renew the ticket like every year since it started but can't see me getting to a lot of the matches crowds will almost certainly be seriously reduced also bound to be a bit of second wave of some sort though hope I am wrong about that .But better to stay signed up even for next year

Wonder what conditions will come with Parnell pass this year with doubts about crowd numbers so will not guarantee tickets to both pass holders and season tickets .Hope to hear something soon was due an e mail this month but will take time now I suppose with the various groups to consider .

Good question, not a Parnell Pass holder myself anymore.
    Horan said 21,000 in CP under 2 metre rule and would be 42,000 if changed to a 1 metre rule. Hopefully it will be 1 metre by the time in the thick of the championship?

Healy Park holds 18,500 so I used the 2018 super 8's game as a guideline as it was sold out. Capacity was set at 17,636 for the game.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/dublin-tyrone-tickets-sold-out-14916870

It allowed Dublin clubs 4,000 and a further 1,000 Parnell Pass holders for that game. 2,500 of the dubs season-ticket holders were allowed at it.

It should give some sort of guideline of what to expect if CP was limited to 21,000 worse case scenario.

From a Parnell Park point of view: I suppose you would divide those ST PP and Clubs numbers by about five?

I was thinking really if we do get to semi or final very very few pass holders or season ticket and people in their local clubs will secure tickets .You would need to be high up in the chain to bag a final ticket I would say .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I was thinking really if we do get to semi or final very very few pass holders or season ticket and people in their local clubs will secure tickets .You would need to be high up in the chain to bag a final ticket I would say .

STs, Passes and Premium Level holders will all get sorted.

They can control them and where they sit etc.

I was talking to Jimmy Gavin the other morning and he said everyone called Bonnie will get one or there will be ructions.

Then he made some joke about calling the guards and barring orders and asked me to stop ringing him at 4am.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I was talking to Jimmy Gavin the other morning and he said everyone called Bonnie will get one or there will be ructions.

Then he made some joke about calling the guards and barring orders and asked me to stop ringing him at 4am.

Sorted then. Well, I am.

Feck sake I feel I will have to look up the 'modern' rules of black cards. red, yellow cards mark, etc. Have been watching loads of 1950's-1980's football online for the last while.

All I know is it is not a really a fair sending off unless the fella is lying on the ground, and is out for the count. Is that the main rule?
    How many subs is there again? :D

• Advertisement

Feck sake I feel I will have to look up the 'modern' rules of black cards. red, yellow cards mark, etc. Have been watching loads of 1950's-1980's football online for the last while.

All I know is it is not a really a fair sending off unless the fella is lying on the ground, and is out for the count. Is that the main rule?
    How many subs is there again? :D

I dunno. I guess if we look at Kenneally on Murphy in 2009 as "not a red" I guess you could work it back from there.

Advertisement