Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Which paper?

Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Which paper?
    Indo

:eek:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-bernard-brogan-autobiography-part-one-dermos-return-and-the-phone-call-from-gavin-that-ended-it-for-me-39506224.html

Jesus, the ego has landed!
    I lost a bit of 'respect' for Bernard after reading that. Comes across as a right self entitled nob. Just because of the Brogan family name in GAA?

Maybe he just ratcheted it up to sell his book? Does not sound good at all.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Really? I would have been more miffed if he took that on the chin, especially considering how we were a bit wound up with his omission.

I think the honesty in the moment stands to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Seems fair to me. I think a lot of us were quite puzzled by it. I personally thought he earned his chance to make the squad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, I feared the worst from the comments above, but everything he wrote is pretty fair. I think that if the players aren't open about displaying that kind of drive and desire with the manager, then they're probably not going to make the team, to be honest.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, I feared the worst from the comments above, but everything he wrote is pretty fair. I think that if the players aren't open about displaying that kind of drive and desire with the manager, then they're probably not going to make the team, to be honest.

It was the comparison to Connolly that annoyed me more. I think Connolly always has the potential to offer more than Bernard on the pitch and Jim thought the same.
    He has to make the calls (rightly or wrongly). He was the manager.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-all-ireland-4791456-Sep2019/

Brogan was called back on panel for the Final replay but did not even come on as one of the five subs. He had just slipped down the pecking order as simple as that.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-all-ireland-2-4808774-Sep2019/

I remember there were calls for sentimental appearance for Bernard as a sub in the replay.

But fair play to Gavin he stuck to his guns did what he thought was best for the team. No Brogan sub. And lets be honest bar 2014 he has not got much wrong has he?

Reminds me a bit of Paidi O'Se whinging and sulking when Micko dropped him. And he did not talk to O'Dwyer for years. Then realised O'Dywer was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"So we're looking at when and how to run some corporate days where Immedis can get some of their key European clients in the same room as Shane to further activate that sponsorship."

Ross O'Carroll Kelly: the GAA years

It was the comparison to Connolly that annoyed me more. I think Connolly always has the potential to offer more than Bernard on the pitch and Jim thought the same.
    He has to make the calls (rightly or wrongly). He was the manager.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-all-ireland-4791456-Sep2019/

Brogan was called back on panel for the Final replay but did not even come on as one of the five subs. He had just slipped down the pecking order as simple as that.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-all-ireland-2-4808774-Sep2019/

I remember there were calls for sentimental appearance for Bernard as a sub in the replay.

But fair play to Gavin he stuck to his guns did what he thought was best for the team. No Brogan sub. And lets be honest bar 2014 he has not got much wrong has he?

Reminds me a bit of Paidi O'Se whinging and sulking when Micko dropped him. And he did not talk to O'Dwyer for years. Then realised O'Dywer was right!

Why was he even brought on v Tyrone then?

Presumably Gavin thought that would be enough of a token gesture and send off for him.

The Omagh game was about giving some fellas a run out (semi competitive experiment) like Bugler, McDaid, O'Carroll - Brogan was given his chance/farewell at 45 minutes.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-tyrone-all-ireland-football-4752645-Aug2019/

I remember giving out/laughing about Connolly having nothing to do just played as playmaker in that game - limited/no contact and long passes.
    Never saw the likes of it before so obvious in a Gaelic football match.
    But it worked it was obviously Gavin's thinking in trying it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I remember in the Tyrone game Berno going nuts when someone took a point when he was in the middle with a goal at his mercy it was a dead rubber game but I wonder if Jim seening that might have thought Berno would be trying too hard to score himself in the next game . I will always have fond memories of Berno though he was a great player at his peak but Jim had to do what he thought was best for the team and that worked out well overall .

Presumably Gavin thought that would be enough of a token gesture and send off for him.

Wait, so how does this marry with the prevailing notion that JG doesn't do sentiment?

It's bollox tbh.

The Omagh game was about giving some fellas a run out (semi competitive experiment) like Bugler, McDaid, O'Carroll - Brogan was given his chance/farewell at 45 minutes.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-tyrone-all-ireland-football-4752645-Aug2019/

I remember giving out/laughing about Connolly having nothing to do just played as playmaker in that game - limited/no contact and long passes.
    Never saw the likes of it before so obvious in a Gaelic football match.
    But it worked it was obviously Gavin's thinking in trying it out.

I was at the game.

I remember in the Tyrone game Berno going nuts when someone took a point when he was in the middle with a goal at his mercy it was a dead rubber game but I wonder if Jim seening that might have thought Berno would be trying too hard to score himself in the next game . I will always have fond memories of Berno though he was a great player at his peak but Jim had to do what he thought was best for the team and that worked out well overall .

I remember the commentary on here and elsewhere of Brogan going mad for that chance was a sign of his hunger and it's good to have him back.

I can't recall your exact opinion at the time but a lot of this seems revisionsist to me tbh.

---

Also, I'm so happy to be talking football again.

---

Either JG does sentiment or not.

Of course he does, he's human. Just maybe not an abundance of it.

It was a risk free scenario anyway.

Either JG does sentiment or not.

It was BB's last run v Tyrone.
    Whether it was sentiment and/or whether it was his last chance (and he blew it) only Jim knows,

I would much rather a fella being given a chance like that in dead rubber, instead of an All Ireland final.
    Especially if the manager thinks there are better options when it comes to the crunch.

There was a large spread of scorers that day in Omagh. All the talk was about Bulger, McDaid and Connolly's new role. Plus whether ROC was past it. Can't remember much specific BB chat either way if I am honest.

A lot will be buying the book at Christmas now anyway!

Didn't realise the game was on TG4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Shocking decision from the ref. Gives a penalty instead of an advantage. Misses the penalty.

You'd have to wonder what went through his head there. Ridiculous.

Brutal peno though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Are Dublin the only county that doesn’t have a county semi final on local radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,157 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Both of them eye gouging there!

• Advertisement

And that's that.

Reds everywhere!

Good game. Paddy Small brilliant today. Just needs to get a run at County consistently and he'll be a great string to our bow.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Good game. Paddy Small brilliant today. Just needs to get a run at County consistently and he'll be a great string to our bow.

Rock was not on form today and Ballymun still finished strong. They look like they are going to win the final against Boden, too strong all over I think.
    If Ballymun win. I would love to Corofin play Ballymun at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Won't be this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Slattsy wrote: »

Was worth watching alone for the Paddy Small show. Some performance. And oozes confidence. Best part was when he was soloing away in front of 2 Kilmacud boys, teasing them, enticing them in and then, Boom. He was gone through the 2 of them.

Wonder will anything happen with the Parnell Pass this year as looks like few matches with any sort of crowd in attendance in prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Wonder will anything happen with the Parnell Pass this year as looks like few matches with any sort of crowd in attendance in prospect

It's suspended for 2020. Holders have to apply again next year as normal if this nonsense is over by then. Which i doubt.

Really nice gesture by Chris Lawn sending Jayo back his jersey from the 1995 final twenty five years ago time sure moves on fair play chris .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

See Darren Daly has called it a day, unsung player and generally only played a bit part but all teams have those types of players. Retiring with 7 All Ireland medals...7!! Really brings home how dominant this team/squad have been.

Advertisement