Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was a funny sort of game. Raheny could have got three goals, but got none in the first half.

It is forward Raheny seem to lack all the time. Then amount of times Fenton was waiting for lads to move for him, but no one did. Maybe they could move Howard into the forwards or something.

Going into the game for Na Fianna I expected McHugh and Aaron Byrne to be the danger men. But McHugh did not even start. And Byrne was more doing donkey work and getting frees until he came good in the second half with consecutive points. That Brian O'Leary fella looked very good for NF. I wonder would he get a few run outs for the senior Dublin team?

The Judes v Lusk game which was on at 4 was a bit of a write off. Cormac Howley definitely deserves a run out for the Dublin seniors at this stage. He really stands out for Lusk (I was at the Intermediate Final a few years ago where he was a one man show for Lusk). And even though Lusk got walloped by Judes he stood out again. Has a bit about him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I think i was at the same game. Was that against Naomh Barrog?

I remember he had an unbelievable game that day.

Yeah it was Barrog. I remember I was was raging that no switch was made on Howley, at all when it was obvious the damage Howley was causing. It wasn't Lusk I was shouting for!😉 Lusk won it in extra time and all....

At the time, I think Howley was still in minor or just out of minor. I made sure to make note of the name then. He seems to be a 'Diarmuid Connolly' type player. Just a natural footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭billyhead

Has Howley not being playing OByrne cup games? He's a real natural footballer. As you say like Dermo Connolly.

Yeah you're correct.

He was named in midfield (for some reason) v Westmeath in the 2019 O'Byrne Cup final

https://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaelic-football/news/30553/11610965/dublin-name-experimental-side-for-obyrne-cup-final-against-westmeath

I don't know if he has made his league debut for Dublin yet? If he hasn't he is surely knocking on the door and should be pushing for a place on the Championship Panel fairly soon? Given the amount of Dublin retirements lately. A fella like him could really add a bit of spark and vibrancy to the whole set up.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking of another fella who did well despite his team losing the last day.

If a fella is did well in a game, even though his team was struggling, it is a good sign.

Corner back for Raheny Darren Byrne. He was on the same minor Dublin team as Howley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Seems to a bit of talk of couple of more lads taking time out next season anybody know anything if true looks like a larger rebuild may be required but time will tell .

Just on that Cuala match v Boden - great tension in it hard fought etc. But I could not help thinking that something needs to be done about how freetaking dominates hurling. Fair play to David Tracy he nailed them all. But unlike football frees can be scored from a much further distant. I don't really know what the answer is given the nature of hurling. But it would be nice to get it more free flowing somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Been watching the ballymun vs Lucan game on YouTube .... Lucan despite being ahead are out on their feet but Kickhams are getting absolutely ridden by the ref... it’s actually diabolical, a kickhams guy touches a Lucan player and he’s blowing up with zero hesitation but actual enthusiasm, Ballymun can’t buy a foul off him at all, he’s seems very oddly enthusiastic and sharp to stop ballymun it’s a weird watch...

lucan have given up defending just pulling and dragging now.

Another rugby tackle ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Might need a rule about having to take in indirect free from out the 65 or inside your own half. A lot of games are just shooting practice these days

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Kilmacud vs Ballyboden... almost at an end 1-15 1-7 in favor of Kilmacud...very one sided but some good skills, scores, pace, ingenuity and intensity, only downer being the referee absolutely riding Kilmacud this second half trying to make a game of it, pathetic... absolutely blindingly incompetent. This Ballyboden side not all that likable... probably should be down to 14... ref sees but ignores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Neither game very entertaining tbh.

Hopefully the final is a bit better.

Well was a dramatic normal time hurling final fair play to Hayes after missing that pen. Think the extra time took the wind out of Na Fianna mentally. Rushe won’t be able to swan in and get a county title that easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭big_drive

Rushe was very poor in last few minutes given his experience. Wide open holes at the back that kilmacud took advantage off, he should have known how to kill the game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

That's the biggest lesson Na Fianna need to take away. 9 points up with 9 minutes to go, no excuse, other than inexperience, for not closing the game out.

Serious guts and commitment by Kilmacud Crokes to keep going, force extra time and then dominate so comprehensively 0-8 to 0-1 in extra time to get over the line.

Na Fianna were naturally shell shocked at the final (normal time) whistle but somewhat understandably they didn't manage to leave it behind them as they went back into the dressing room and just focus on winning the extra time.

To my eyes their body language as they ran back onto the pitch for the start of extra time was completely defeatist, they looked like were beaten before the sliotar was even thrown in.

Can anyone see Dublin’s National league fixtures.

Saw Armagh’s fixtures yesterday including one involving Dublin ( match week 1 ) but can’t see Dublins fixtures anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Will judes finally win a senior?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

This is up on Twitter but not sure if it’s legit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

The dates in March are wrong. Monday’s and Tuesday’s. Doesn’t necessarily make the whole thing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Dublin v Kildare in Donnycarney 🤔

I am bit torn as to who I want to win it, to be honest - neutral. I like Judes as a team. Would be nice to see Kevin Mc win a Dublin club the fella deserves it. But Judes have a lot of 'blow in's' and it is even worse that one fairly recent newcomer is Pat Spillane's nephew. Something wrong with any Spillane winning a Dublin Club. When you think that the Brogan's never won one. So I am a bit torn as to what result I want.

I am looking forwards to the game - I think overall the two teams are well met. Even though Judes have never got over the line before they have been knocking on the door a few years at this stage.

most likely bull dung. Has mayo down for Castlebar. They are not playing any league games in Castlebar next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Gael85

That Pat Spillane son playing with Judes. To be fair bar Mark Sweeney(Antrim) none of country players are established inter county players.

Oh right I thought it was his nephew. Pat Snr has one son Pat but did not know it it was him or a nephew - Pat Spillane. When his daughter was born there was a typical Kerry line 'Is it a footballer or a child'. 😀

Found an article in the Examiner listing the imports etc.

Found another article in the Independent going on about the Judes imports - it is premium.

But the opening paragraphs are -

Pat Gilroy once calculated that for every four players he identified as possessing the basic minerals required to play for Dublin, one wasn’t eligible.

“I’d go out and I’d see some fella and say, ‘he’s really good’. And someone would say: ‘yeah, but he doesn’t want to play for Dublin, because he’s from Longford or somewhere’.”

--

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Spillane looks a fine player.

Can't ever see him wearing Blue and Navy at intercounty level though. He would never eat another Christmas dinner with the family again! In a way Dublin club football could end up improving and 'bringing on' Kerry inter county football. Mad when you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There has been a lot of nonsense written about Judes, mainly because Spillane got MOM in the semi final. Spillane was a sub on the Templenoe team that won the All Ireland Junior in 2016. He joined Judes last year and played inter football. He didn't start the first two games of this year's championship but got his opportunity when 39 year old Séimí Ryan pulled up after twenty minutes against OPER. He took the opportunity and has kept his place since.

Judes have never recruited players, unlike some other Dublin clubs. However, they have always welcomed anyone who rocked up to Tymon, some initially looking to train at a high level while still playing at home. Mannix is an example of this. He trained with Judes for a number of years, because one of his mentors with Austin Stacks had previously played with Judes. He only joined Judes when it was no longer practical to continue travelling home.

Judes are a club to be admired. They punch well above their weight. They are predominately based around one primary school campus and one secondary school. Lucan, who they beat in the semi final, have 17 primary schools and 7 secondary schools in their catchment area, with a population larger than Monaghan.

• Advertisement

Jayus (Crokes v Judes) t's damn cagey so far - will there be a score before the water break?

Advertisement