Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

MFPM wrote: »
    See Darren Daly has called it a day, unsung player and generally only played a bit part but all teams have those types of players. Retiring with 7 All Ireland medals...7!! Really brings home how dominant this team/squad have been.

I didn't think he was on the panel in 2011. Not a bad haul all the same.

1224104.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Some haul of medals for the time he spent on the pitch but always did what was asked of him no idea the number of matches he started but the type of player you always need at some stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

MFPM wrote: »
    See Darren Daly has called it a day, unsung player and generally only played a bit part but all teams have those types of players. Retiring with 7 All Ireland medals...7!! Really brings home how dominant this team/squad have been.
    corny wrote: »
    I didn't think he was on the panel in 2011. Not a bad haul all the same.

1224104.jpg
    Some haul of medals for the time he spent on the pitch but always did what was asked of him no idea the number of matches he started but the type of player you always need at some stage .

Yeah 6 I think it is. Would not have guessed it myself until I looked it up.

Stats not updated yet 2018 on Dublin GAA website:

https://www.dublingaa.ie/teams/players/darren-daly

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Really nice gesture by Chris Lawn sending Jayo back his jersey from the 1995 final twenty five years ago time sure moves on fair play chris .

I saw something yesterday about it being 25 years since Westmeath won the minor the same day. They played at least three times before Dublin I think? Used to get great support from Hill and they came down at the end on their lap of honour. Was great Summer all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

1995 the year we finally scraped over the line little did I think that it would such a long wait to even get to a final let alone win one .I had almost given up on winning again until 2011 .It used to bug me a bit that a Dublin player would be described as a legend and he had one All Ire medal unlike some other counties where 4 or 5 was common enough mainly in hurling but thankfully all has changed in recent years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

He fairness he came on in 5 All Ireland Finals. 2013 he came on at half time. 2015. He came on in both finals in 16 and the 18 final. A lot of GAA players would love to have played in 5 All Ireland finals he mightn’t have started them games, but no one can can say he didn’t play some part in the victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ya savages .. long before we basked in haul from 2011 onwards, that Junior win in 2008 was the closest we had to success .. I'm giving Butsy 8 All Irelands and the gratitude of a fella that knows the hardship of junior football !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »
    He fairness he came on in 5 All Ireland Finals. 2013 he came on at half time. 2015. He came on in both finals in 16 and the 18 final. A lot of GAA players would love to have played in 5 All Ireland finals he mightn’t have started them games, but no one can can say he didn’t play some part in the victories.

He should of been brought on in 2017 final when Jack McCaffrey done his cruciate after 5 minutes. Jim brought Paul Flynn on instead and James McCarthy went to wing back. Dublin completely lost their shape in first half of that final.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

Gael85 wrote: »
    He should of been brought on in 2017 final when Jack McCaffrey done his cruciate after 5 minutes. Jim brought Paul Flynn on instead and James McCarthy went to wing back. Dublin completely lost their shape in first half of that final.

Ya himself or someone like Eric Lowndes would have been a more suited to wing back and it would have allowed McCarthy to stay in midfield.

To me the 2017 final was probably one of the greatest if not the greatest matches that was every played it had everything, great physicality, great scores, some great pieces of defending like some of the tackles that Chris Barrett made for Mayo, 2 red cards, and of course a famous winning point.

Is TG4 showing the final?

Lost a packet on Ballymun when they lost to Vinnies in 2017 but reckon they can get over the line on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Is TG4 showing the final?

Lost a packet on Ballymun when they lost to Vinnies in 2017 but reckon they can get over the line on Sunday.

Yeah, they are live on tg4. I think Ballymun could win this by 4/5 points they are flying.

Thanks. looking forward to it. Davy B will be loss but they look strong all through the panel, and Rock was relatively quiet last day. Expect a few goals. Boden seem to me like a team that is running out of legs. Luck enough against Raheny despite winning easily in extra time. Line through Vinnies being hammered by Crokes suggests that Ballymun are a bit ahead of everyone else. But thought that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

What's the odds on tomorrows match cant see it on PP? Think it's a 50/50 myself and the hurt of losing the hurling final may prove to be the decisive factor in seeing Ballyboden squeeze home by a point or two. I'd like to see a Ballymun win but they never fill you with confidence.

Two big games on tomorrow on TG4

14.00 Kilkenny hurling final
    16.30 Dublin football final.

What's the odds on tomorrows match cant see it on PP? Think it's a 50/50 myself and the hurt of losing the hurling final may prove to be the decisive factor in seeing Ballyboden squeeze home by a point or two. I'd like to see a Ballymun win but they never fill you with confidence.

Two big games on tomorrow on TG4

14.00 Kilkenny hurling final
    16.30 Dublin football final.

I got Ballymun at evens. You can bet on outright (under tournaments) - which covers extra time etc. now 10/11.

I'd imagine Ballymun be 4/5 or less when they price it up later.

I got Ballymun at evens. You can bet on outright (under tournaments) - which covers extra time etc. now 10/11.

I'd imagine Ballymun be 4/5 or less when they price it up later.

Yea i always do draw no bet on the GAA. Got stung on a big pay day with a last gasp draw many years ago and said never again. I've been saved a few times over the years. Don't win that bet if it's a draw obviously (void match if part of an accumulator) but dont lose which is the important part. I often do the +1 handicap which is lower odds but you win with a draw. I'm sure you know that anyway. I give 'Boden a hesitant nod but wouldn't put any money on it.

Yea i always do draw no bet on the GAA. Got stung on a big pay day with a last gasp draw many years ago and said never again. I've been saved a few times over the years. Don't win that bet if it's a draw obviously (void match if part of an accumulator) but dont lose which is the important part. I often do the +1 handicap which is lower odds but you win with a draw. I'm sure you know that anyway. I give 'Boden a hesitant nod but wouldn't put any money on it.

Ballymun have terrible record in big games since getting to AI and throwing away a winning position in whatever year it was.

Flanagan made good point though on TG4 before the semi final when he said that no inter county has been huge benefit to them this year. Just look to me like a team that is hitting peak for a club side at right time. Huge experience and some great younger lads coming through. Added to that the Dublin players like James, Smalls and Rock are playing out of their skins this Summer.

Nearly talked myself into having another go at the 10/11 :)

Ballymun have terrible record in big games since getting to AI and throwing away a winning position in whatever year it was.

Flanagan made good point though on TG4 before the semi final when he said that no inter county has been huge benefit to them this year. Just look to me like a team that is hitting peak for a club side at right time. Huge experience and some great younger lads coming through. Added to that the Dublin players like James, Smalls and Rock are playing out of their skins this Summer.

Nearly talked myself into having another go at the 10/11 :)

Exactly, if there was intercounty no way would Ballymun have:
    1) got this far
    2) look as fresh

Hopefully in future the GAA bring in a system to keep intercounty and club seasons separate makes way more sense - and is fairer.

Congrats to O'Dwyers on their JFC win today - not being from this patch originally and no dog in the old feudal times I can appreciate any team representing the north county and Fingal. It's been a long road back from oblivion for them, some of the old stagers have got their day .. well deserved, congrats to all involved

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Congrats to O'Dwyers on their JFC win today - not being from this patch originally and no dog in the old feudal times I can appreciate any team representing the north county and Fingal. It's been a long road back from oblivion for them, some of the old stagers have got their day .. well deserved, congrats to all involved

I remember when Counsel beat them in inter semi about 15 years ago and been in free fall since, so good to one of the old stalwarts come back.

I remember when Counsel beat them in inter semi about 15 years ago and been in free fall since, so good to one of the old stalwarts come back.

*cough* 20 years ago Bonnie jaysis hard to believe .

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    *cough* 20 years ago Bonnie jaysis hard to believe .

Seriously!

Was out in Ravens ground i think?

Second hard luck story for Naomh Barrog in the intermediate football in the last 3 years. Barrog got 'trolliered' in the last few minutes after a comeback from a 6 point deficit to a point up. Naomh Fionnbarra won by 2 points.
    Mad game great entertainment fair play to all involved.

Naomh Fionnbarra certainly did not knackered even though the same panel played the hurling senior 2 final. They must have not over celebrated that hurling final win.

Second hard luck story for Naomh Barrog in the intermediate football in the last 3 years. Barrog got 'trolliered' in the last few minutes after a comeback from a 6 point deficit to a point up. Naomh Fionnbarra won by 2 points.
    Mad game great entertainment fair play to all involved.

Naomh Fionnbarra certainly did not knackered even though the same panel played the hurling senior 2 final. They must have not over celebrated that hurling final win.

I'm sure the bar was closed since :)

Still not put up the final as separate event on PP. Still on outright but don't think that still covers extra time in even of draw. (Am assuming it goes to e/t rather than replay?.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Would love to see Ballymun win here but quietly fancy Boden. Ballymun have failed to turn up in many a game they've been expected to win. Looking forward to this.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Would love to see Ballymun win here but quietly fancy Boden. Ballymun have failed to turn up in many a game they've been expected to win. Looking forward to this.

I feel like I should make a sandwich and pretend I am in Parnell Park.

Pretty high standard final so far. Ballymun looked like cutting through the Boden defence on a couple of occasions. Both teams looking sharp. Mun look like getting scores a little easier.

Great football.

Ballymun on top form. A little ominous for Ballyboden.

• Advertisement

It's looking like pints (remember them) are on Bonniedog. Ballymun looking hungrier. Rock flying from play.

Advertisement