Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Sickner for crokes there.

Dont know what the hell they were at in the last couple of minutes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

They handed it to Kilcoo at the end...just hold possession, terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Pitchforked it away at the end mad both matches won at the death that will haunt K MC for a while .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Anyone with 2 season tickets that cant make the game in Croke Park on Saturday, I'd give them a good home if available.

Really want us to step up against Mayo feel we have to show something better than we have done to date . Hard to predict if we will win and what lads will get a run but I feel we need at the very least a much improved show with some sort of a plan at least .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

I'm really looking forward to it from a Mayo point of view. I have no idea what to expect from yourselves and we are coming in on the back of a draw and a win with a good few back from Injury. I'm hoping for a nice dry evening and a great match! I expect Dublin to click at some stage in the league so will be interesting to see how it turns out if its this week!

Not sure about the weather hope whatever storm is about is gone by throw in time .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think you will be shocked at how far Dublin football has fallen. Mayo to win fairly comfortably I think. I assume Dublin will have a 'go' in the first 20. But for Dublin to have any hope of winning will need Rock to get all his frees. Dublin have been awful and have shown no signs of improvement or 'clicking' about a year.

If you offered me a draw - I would be delighted with that!

Also you mention the weather. Hoping for a bit of blustery day at least so the game gets scrappy. Dublin has a better chance then.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think if Mayo were to win comfortably while some would say its only the league I would think it would point to the end of the road for Dessie .I think it will most likely end this year anyway so he should see out the season hopefully he turns things round but I rate the league so if the form to date continues it will be a short enough summer .Obviously hope this post comes back to bite me I really do .

I think there is no such thing as 'only the league'. It is very important that Dublin not relegated I think.

• Advertisement

Definitely agree the league is important and we should certainly look to stay in division 1 . But we know what we need to do now so the remaining games will tell us where we are and a guide to our summer prospects .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

I think it would be a significant boost for us if we do beat Dublin comfortably. By my memory 2014 was the last time we managed a draw against Dublin in the league. That's probably why I'm sceptical that its actually as bad as you're saying! But time will tell :) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

Whatever about the result I hope we see a decent performance for 70 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,699 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anyone here know if the Dublin vs Galway Camogie will be streamed this weekend?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

I totally agree. I think we will lose this weekend and relegation from Division 1 is a very real possibility. I am prepared to give Farrell the full season but I have absolutely no confidence in him to get it right at all and think this season could well end up turning into an absolute embarrassment. Like yourself I hope I am very wrong but right now I have zero confidence in Farrell as Dublin manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dessie needs time. With lockdown in middle of his first season and short league last year this is his first year to experiment with new players. We have lost 15/16 of 5 in a row panel and the calibre of players coming through at not at same level of the golden generation. Jim Gavin didn't experiment much in last his two seasons in charge. If missing keys players like we have for first 2 games we are going to struggle. We have James McCarthy, Mick Fitzsimons, Jonny Cooper, Con O'Callaghan, Paddy Small, Peadar O'Cofaigh/Byrne, Robbie McDaid, Colm Basquel and possibly a couple of Kilmacud lads to come back. Murchan and Costello were injured for Kerry game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

I get that and have said that before myself. This is Farrell's first real full on season and so no matter what he should get the full season. But what if and this is no pie in the sky gloomy pessimism IMHO, what if we get relegated from division 1 and don't win the Leinster Championship as well as obviously not winning an All Ireland. If that is the case he will be gone or at least he should be IMHO. As I said previously I hope I am way off and wrong about how this season will pan out but for me I see no signs from Farrell that he is the man who can lead us through this period of transition and back to being a legitimate All Ireland contender and at least periodic winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Gael85

The reality is we don't have the strength in depth and next couple seasons is about rebuilding the squad to challenge for Sam. We have lost our great manager Jim Gavin and some of the greatest players of all time. Not just great footballers but some great leaders too.

Dessie has bounced back from minor and u21 defeats to build All Ireland winning teams.

Would not be judging Dessie on winning the AI I don't expect that but the level of performance last year and the two league games this year where we were beaten going in at half time would satisfy me he is not going to improve things much .I know he is down players but we seem to have no plan .A number of the guys that have fallen short over the last couple of years are still in and out of the team .He has definitely let standards slip but hopefully he turns us around and point us in the right direction .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't need Dessie to win things, but I need to see improvement, or a sense of direction at least. So far, it's been some pretty headless stuff, with tactics that the teams playing the modern way lap up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Any season ticket holders not going the match want to donate 1 or 2 spare tickets please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's not time Dessie needs, it's a plan. I've seen nothing to date that shows Dessie has learned anything from last season. We started poorly last season and it's continued right up to now. Sure, we've lost players but it's clear the tactics are not working. We play slow turgid stuff and the players look slightly confused with what they are being asked to do.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Spot on. I am ready to pissed off to be honest.

Watching more side to side slow stuff - easy to defend against, no players with pace willing to break the lines. Fellas slowly going in traffic and ending up in the corners. Fellas afraid to shoot, then when if do shoot they do shoot they are hail mary shots. Not much kicking/movement and no moving the ball with pace.

If some of the above is cut out and we can at least some pattern/style of play I will be a lot happier. But the same stuff is happening so often I am not confident of any real change at all. It has been very frustrating so far - no variation. Over reliance on Rock's frees etc.

Edit - by the way it seems Diarmo has his money on Mayo? 😯

https://westernpeople.ie/2022/02/14/former-star-makes-bold-prediction-ahead-of-mayo-dublin-clash/

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

I think the Dublin Ladies v Cork Ladies will be the more entertaining match of today's games in CP

The team named has a strong enough middle eight i think other areas look a bit weak but who knows if this team starts so will have to wait and see .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It's a bit unusual going into the game this evening - both starting line-ups seem to have what would be perceived to be several weak areas. I don't know what the Dublin bench is like for tonights game. But Mayos seems to be very strong - O'Shea, Kevin McLoughlin, O'Hora, Eoin McLaighlin, Enda Hession etc. Could have a telling impact if the game is reasonable close.

Buglar and McMahon would stand out as possible vulnerable positions at wing back. But then again the Mayo wing forwards (Jack Carney and Bryan Walsh) are not going to give either a sleepless night.

Extremely hard one to call. It's like a game that can go any way, with so many new inexperienced faces involved.

How much of that team actually starts, given the nonsense we’ve been up to with dummy teams the last few weeks?

Would be happy to see Howard finally released from the backs but like others, can’t see Bugler playing there unless it’s a marking job on a Mayo half forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

One of the weakest Dublin starting 15s I recall to play Mayo in a league game. Maybe they'll perform better than how that team looks on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It was bad enough getting beaten out the gate by Armagh at home but then they backed that up with a very weak response against Kerry, which was another whooping. If Dessie can't get the team up for a game against that lot we are in trouble.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Damn, it wasn't on my ticket, so didn't know it was on there, only heading in now.

Advertisement